Aliens - My Own Cut - Cinema Series

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 03, 2023, 11:36:51 AM

Author
Aliens - My Own Cut - Cinema Series (Read 7,961 times)

BlueMarsalis79

I do not ever recall learning the character name of Pete Postlewaite, (for the best considering the prequels) but I think him, Morse and Dillon, you do get familiar with anyway. It is a testament to the acting prowess of the cast that they make paper thin characters feel real with single scenes, like the scissors scene, or the laughter in the tunnels scene for some examples.

I do not necessarily like them, but I do see real humanity.

SM

SM

Don't doubt the acting chops of any of them, but what they had to work with wasn't great and was largely deleted. There's definitely more going on with Junior, Gregor, David, William but it's irrelevant to the story and wisely excised.

They whole 'can't tell these guys apart' thing is writ large and very possibly self referential when David has to tell Aaron his name because the latter forgot.

SiL

SiL

I only know David because he was Pete Postlethwaite and I saw Jurassic World beforehand.

Local Trouble

Which one was it that got a name, but was never shown?  Was that Vincent?

SM

SM

Vincent is seen in the 'what are we going to do now' scene played by legendary stunty Nick Gillard. They f**k the character up later on by having him the first to die in the bait and chase despite being absent since the fire.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 01, 2024, 06:14:45 AMI only know David because he was Pete Postlethwaite and I saw Jurassic World beforehand.

I think I recognised him in JP 2 because of Alien 3.

Local Trouble

I recognized him in The Usual Suspects because of Alien 3.

Wweyland

One missed opportunity of Alien 3 is having the prisoners actually work on something interesting.
"Lead lids for toxic waste containers" seems the most boring thing and we actually never see them do it.
How about the "glass works" instead, and a scene/montage of them devoted to making some beautiful glass objects or something. Have the aliens shatter them, making the prisoners pissed.

Although to give credit, exploring/mapping abandoned tunnels is somewhat interesting.

skhellter

skhellter

also - why don't they have the maps to their own facility.

Andrews would probably have that, or could request it.

the world building is nonsense. but whatever.

it's VIBES: the movie.

and Fincher always sets a cool vibe.

let's not mention that they do an autopsy on newt while they have a working machine that can look inside her in a non invasive way. the movie is really devoted to always picking the edgiest thing that could happen at the expense of anything making sense [petty cinemasins dings going off]

BlueMarsalis79

I think an argument can be made for immediacy there with the autopsy scene.

Also they do have maps though?

SM

SM

Aaron and Ripley look at a map when planning the toxic waste trap.

As for Newt's autopsy Ripley was looking for 'cholera'.

Quote from: Wweyland on Jan 01, 2024, 11:38:37 AMOne missed opportunity of Alien 3 is having the prisoners actually work on something interesting.
"Lead lids for toxic waste containers" seems the most boring thing and we actually never see them do it.
How about the "glass works" instead, and a scene/montage of them devoted to making some beautiful glass objects or something. Have the aliens shatter them, making the prisoners pissed.

Although to give credit, exploring/mapping abandoned tunnels is somewhat interesting.

The December 1990 script has them shutting down work in the foundry in order to do the cremation and the October 1990 script has a glass works instead using Ward/ Fasano's original concept.

However in the film Dillon says the piston hasn't been used for five or six years.

Local Trouble

I'm guessing Ripley may have surmised that hauling Newt's corpse past all the prisoners to the EEV could be a problem.  Plus, using the cryotube's scanner on her may have revealed to Clemens, a bonafide medical doctor, that her cholera story was bullshit and she was looking for something else entirely.

SM

SM

Indeed.

Local Trouble

Also worth noting is that cholera is a bacterial infection of the small intestine.  Ripley blew it when she asked Clemens to open Newt's chest cavity, which is pretty obvious by the look he gave her.

Wweyland

What's the view on the "slow pan through the Sulaco" scene?
Feels a bit Cameron trying to be Scott and a not-naturally Cameron scene.
He usually doesn't do subtle or ambient, he is directly to the point.

We see the same places later, so it doesn't give much.

SiL

SiL

Absolutely trying to recreate the reveal of the Nostromo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed