Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1052

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 591,883 times)

nanison

nanison

I can't believe the love for aliens. It's a fantastic film but it's not even close to Alien! Everything that makes the first one so mystifying, atmospheric and otherwordly is gone in the sequel. You could have replaced the alien with another generic creature and it would still rock but it's not the true vision of the alien IMO

Alien>>>>aliens>>prometheus>alien3>>>>>alien ressurection

monkeylove

monkeylove

The second movie can never be like the first because the first involved horror, and that could no longer be repeated in subsequent films because the alien was already revealed. That's why the second and third movies had to use other genres (action for the second and something like detective fiction for the third).

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Aliens and Alien 3 were principally horror movies with Alien 3 not being a detective story at all.

Aliens didn't supersede the horror with action, it was added alongside it. Except the suspense was punctuated by a bullet instead of a headbite.

monkeylove

monkeylove

What makes the first one a horror movie is the point that the creature is not revealed fully until the end. Given that, it would have been pointless for the second and third movies to try to do the same. That's why the second focused on action and the third something similar to detective fiction (i.e., outwitting the creature).

BishopShouldGo

BishopShouldGo

Hmm. Second was still a horror film and the third wasn't a detective movie.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Dec 05, 2016, 02:57:29 AM

Think he must have meant defective...

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Rankles75 on Dec 05, 2016, 10:13:12 AM

Leave Alien 3 alone :)

monkeylove

monkeylove

The first used suspense (i.e., the creature is revealed fully in the end). The second couldn't do that again so it used action. The third couldn't repeat the second, so it combined elements from the first two and focused on how to defeat the creature without weapons available.

Quote from: Rankles75 on Dec 05, 2016, 10:13:12 AM

Detective fiction:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detective_fiction

That is, a "puzzle approach," but one that did not involve solving a crime.

nanison

nanison

The 2nd one had another surprise up it's sleeve with the queen! So the big reveal is comparable with Alien.
They play Alien 3 on tv this weekend , I'm looking forward to watch it again but I remember I didn't like it much. I'd love to see that assembly cut which seems to redeem the film according to some.

FiorinaFury161

FiorinaFury161

The AC really doesn't redeem the film overall, but definitely adds more character depth and further explanation of certain scenes/sequences. The premier edition would be a mix of the AC and TC (Theatrical Cut).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Aye, my preferred cut sits between the 2 but over all, I'd say the AC is a better experience. I'd recommend giving it a watch if you haven't. Better yet, go pick up the Alien Anthology set and enjoy alternate cuts of all the films and more behind the scenes insight than you can shake a stick at!

monkeylove

monkeylove

Quote from: nanison on Dec 06, 2016, 11:27:58 PM
The 2nd one had another surprise up it's sleeve with the queen! So the big reveal is comparable with Alien.
They play Alien 3 on tv this weekend , I'm looking forward to watch it again but I remember I didn't like it much. I'd love to see that assembly cut which seems to redeem the film according to some.

In the first movie, the protagonists needed to know what they were dealing with, and could only know as each of them was killed.

For the second movie, the goal was to get away from the planet. They only found out about the queen because they had to find the child.

KainSwiss

KainSwiss

The first Alien movie set the bar! It actually gave us the Space Jockey and more questions with the nest of eggs. We kinda already knew there would be a Queen laying all those eggs. The chest Burster! The dodgy Android that no one saw coming. It's my favourite Alien movie

A very close second is James Cameron's Aliens! It was totally different yet it worked well. We see the Queen reveal, colonies were formed. The deception of Burke instead of Bishop! The roller Coaster ride to keep you hooked to the end. Hicks just walked from Terminator into Aliens lol. I loved how it separated itself from the first movie. Too some this was the best Alien movie. And I wouldn't argue with them on that.

Alien 3 very close again. Can't see why it got so much hate. I loved the evolvement of the Alien through animal DNA how unique a species it was. The directors cut obviously was way better. And I loved it a lot. The sense of dread. Having no weapons reminded me of the first movie in a way! "Brian Glover" that Yorkshire accent lol. I had to make myself a cup of tetley when I first saw him in the movie. Everything Fincher did made it different from both movies. That's good direction

Resurrection hmmm I hated that movie in every way! Was not needed at all. The birth of what the heck was that again baby with tits and skelator face. Nope not acceptable to me. I hated that movie. It just didn't work for me. Very wooden characters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pvt_Darren_Knight

Pvt_Darren_Knight

Aliens its been my favorite film since 1999 when i was 10 its a masterpiece

cliffhanger

cliffhanger

Alien has been my favourite film as in, as long as i can remember.
It wasn't yet when i was a teenager, as i was too young to really appreciate it. I do remember seeing a good part of the movie as i sneaked behind the couch of my parents watching the movie. i guess they were so into the tension of the movie that they didnt notice i was enjoying the tension too.

weird, really, as i was absolutely frightened to death by ET. i remember that scene in the bushes with the finger and it scared me to the bone. I yelled and cried like a pup. Yet somehow with Alien, I was absolutely mesmerised and stunned by the awesomeness.
My parents noticed i grasped for breath i guess when the alien went for lambert. i never did see the chestbursting scene back then i'm sure that would have had some negative impact.

Movie always stayed with me. All of them, really. Obviously Alien tops it, and Aliens is a good second. I dont mind 3 and Resurection, really.
AVP was a letdown. Messy. It was fun from a fun point of view, not in a franchise-abusing way, and i was less enjoyed by Weyland and Bishop's portrayal. Requiem was absolutely tasteless and shamefull. I immediately grew a deep-filled resentment against the Strauss failures.

Anyway, my favourite Alien movie aside the alien universe would be I guess Predator and Independance day. (the one with Will Smith in it, not the new one). Also 'Sphere' i really enjoyed.

I felt goosebumps during Independence Day when first hearing the signal. Must say though i never felt any 'tension' during the movie. It never had a real horror feel to it to be honest - not that it intended that i think. It could have made a good one had they implemented horror better in it.

ah and really enjoye "The Body Snatchers" too. a lot.

but as for the franchise movies:

1) Alien
2) Aliens
3) Alien3
4) Alien: Resurrection
5) Prometheus

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed