Test Screening vs. Theatrical Cut: Deleted & Alternate Scenes (Spoilers).

Started by El Diablo, May 18, 2017, 05:52:09 PM

Author
Test Screening vs. Theatrical Cut: Deleted & Alternate Scenes (Spoilers). (Read 18,122 times)

echobbase79

echobbase79

What's so bad about the CGI in Covenant?

There wasn't a moment where the effects to me out of the movie. I had no problems with CGI on the creatures. Some of the spaceship stuff could've been better, but if I was score the digital work I'd give it a 9/10. It was certainly better than The Thing Prequel had to offer.

Quote from: El Diablo on May 31, 2017, 12:03:39 AM
I'm not sure if you're being serious. Almost all of the practical effects for THE THING 2011 were digital. It's one of the most talked about aspects of that film and generally considered one of its most controversial issues (I was told by Alec Gillis himself that it was the decision of an older studio exec who thought young people would reject practical work over digital). The physical animatronic and makeup effects seen in the footage taken on set was the original work done by ADI that was later discarded by the studio.

Figures.   >:(

Godzillakuj94

Maybe I'm misremembering but I thought a lot of the CG was way too shiny. The adult Neomorph looked pretty good though.

Weylandmodel86

As far as I was aware, all (or nearly all) of the monster effects in 2011's The Thing were CGI. There's some videos released by Amalgamated Dynamics (I think that's the name) of the original work they did for the film as well as the original ending with the "Pilot" alien. Really interesting stuff that also looks really good IMO...but I guess that's why I'm not making movies... lol

As for A:C's effects, they all had a CG vibe to me. CG has come a very long ways in terms of giving the creations a "weight" and a feel of being "present" in the picture and iare generally good but, to me, they always nag me as being artificial. Some of the Xeno movements in A:C  nagged me and felt like what we saw in Alien 3. I thought the practical Neo suit designs looked creepier than what we saw in the finished film. So when they reject physical creations and opt for CG compositions, my heart aches.

Protozoid

Sounds like they have some options for a longer cut.

Even if they just restored The Crossing, that would make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the film.

Some of the dialogue sounds like it was cut for being too on the nose. Those don't need to be restored, necessarily.

And the reshot ending does sound a bit better, but I think they should have "cheated" and shown Walter hitting David with a rock before cutting away. I think that might have helped sell the twist, but perhaps I am mistaken.

D88M

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 31, 2017, 02:10:22 AM
What's so bad about the CGI in Covenant?

There wasn't a moment where the effects to me out of the movie. I had no problems with CGI on the creatures. Some of the spaceship stuff could've been better, but if I was score the digital work I'd give it a 9/10. It was certainly better than The Thing Prequel had to offer.

Is not that is bad, is that practical is always better, a blend of both would have been ideal, the spaceships and adults Neomorphs were perfect, the Alien looked a little fake specially when it was an adult

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 03, 2017, 03:53:20 AM
Even if they just restored The Crossing, that would make a huge difference in my enjoyment of the film.

That scene alone would make the movie WAY better, because it gives continuity from Prometheus to Covenant, is easy to do too, when David starts talking to Walter, they show the whole scene and not only the bombing, it makes no sense why they cut it

They should also put the 20 minutes back minus the useless stuff so they make the pacing of the movie better

Protozoid

I almost hope there was avoid story reason for cutting The Crossing, but then they wouldn't have used it for marketing.

Cutting that scene for time would be an ugly slap in the face to Prometheus fans - and Rapace - but if they didn't cut it for story, what else is there but pacing? They already spent the money.

D88M

Quote from: Protozoid on Jun 03, 2017, 08:07:52 AM
I almost hope there was avoid story reason for cutting The Crossing, but then they wouldn't have used it for marketing.

Cutting that scene for time would be an ugly slap in the face to Prometheus fans - and Rapace - but if they didn't cut it for story, what else is there but pacing? They already spent the money.

Really hoping for an extended cut, but if they didnt put back the Engineer talking in Prometheus, and it was one hell of an important -and great- segment to left in, then i expect nothing for Covenant

juxtapose

only got around to reading this entire thread now. .i would say put back the crossing. .it.s almist vital. .will never understand why it was taken out. .plus the extended shower scene and definately the neo giving chase before it got shot down by danny. .oh and also that extended scene of rosenthal and the neo attack. .

rustyredraccoon

Great thread and thanks for adding this. Of all the scenes, I feel like the "you and I have something in common" dialogue would have been the most important to the film and I can't imagine why it was possibly taken out - it establishes a more poignant connection with Walter and Daniels and adds a lot to to explain Walter's character motivation. It's mind-boggling to me that this was removed.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed