Recent posts

Alien: Romulus / Re: Why Alien: Romulus pits th...
Last post by BigDaddyJohn - Today at 11:18:37 AM
I had many face off with Stompy, yet I can't remember how it looked or moved very well, I was too stressed.
Recreational Area / Re: The Alien Dialogue Thread ...
Last post by Darwinsgirl - Today at 11:16:52 AM
"I'm the captain when Dallas and Kane are off the ship..."
Ripley
Last post by NecronomIV - Today at 11:13:13 AM
The lieutenant feels there's still the possibility of a communicable infection.
Alien Films / Re: Alien 3 - Audio Descriptio...
Last post by NecronomIV - Today at 11:08:23 AM
Quote from: SiL on Today at 09:44:48 AM@NecronomIV

Sorry, I don't think I've made myself at all clear.

You said

QuotePretty much you identify a gap in the dialogue,

What I'm asking is if it would be useful to have an SRT file of just dialogue so you could identify those gaps automatically.

For example, I have transcripts generated in Premiere of just the dialogue in all of the movies. Would such a file help in streamlining identifying those gaps, or is there already a simple system?

No, not really. As I said, you could do the math and map all the possible gaps (if, that is, the subtitles were perfectly aligned with the dialogue) but it wouldn't be sensitive to other parts of the soundtrack such as sound effects and important music cues.

The other problem would be that you'd have more of thes gaps than you need - you don't fill up every single gap, that's fatiguing for the listener, like having an annoying person chattering in your ear the whole time ... and you seldom use all of a gap, just what you need (either at the beginning, middle or end).

So in theory yes... ish. The idea is sound. In practice, rather than automating a job, it would give you too much to sift through, and slow you down. But as I said, it's the kind of thing that might be useful input for an AI.

Finding the gaps is the easy bit, and is generally quite an intuitive and organic thing. The tricky bit is the writing, and deciding what to include and what to leave out.

Last post by SiL - Today at 11:04:21 AM
Stompy exciting the vent is the only time it looks interesting. The rest of the time it's a monster version of Big Chap.
Alien Films / Re: Alien 3/Resurrection "plot...
Last post by BigDaddyJohn - Today at 11:00:16 AM
I've seen it, it's weird as f**k.
Prey / Re: [SPOILERS] Feral Predator ...
Last post by skull-splitter - Today at 10:58:21 AM
Quote from: CANNON on Apr 25, 2024, 03:59:13 PM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Apr 25, 2024, 08:46:34 AM
QuoteThe argument or justification that this Feral Predator is a different species or from a different hemisphere of the Predator home planet, will never convince me that this new drastically different face is indeed a Predator. Being that I did enjoy this movie as a whole, unfortunately it has failed drastically on this front.

You must hate earth...

What I hate is that an iconic design was ruined which new is now incomparable to old, all for the sake of what? P1 Jungle Hunter is a Predator, Feral is a bug.
Oh I agree the classic still is best, but Feral really grew on me in time, unlike the ones in The Predator.

Thing is, you start charging the reasoning behind him, and as such try to swipe the reasons for changes away. They knew they weren't remaking the classic, they knew they were making their own, they just gave him some backstory you try to ridicule.
Last post by jacobo1122 - Today at 10:51:14 AM
Quote from: SiL on Today at 10:40:17 AMI think something that's missing from later Alien designs is that it actually doesn't need to look threatening 100% of the time.

Giger's designs allow for it to look more elegant or unimposing, which gives it a kind of hypnotic quality. You're not immediately repulsed, so you hesitate just too long and die.

The idea that it must look like a menacing beast from every angle is one of the biggest losses the creature ever suffered, and it did it from the second film.
I would say that Protomorph could look hypnotic at short times. I especially love short glimpses of it walking with its back straighten. And Stompy from Isolation was beautiful and elegant in many moments. It slowly descending from ventilation shaft is one hell of a georgeus visual.
Last post by SiL - Today at 10:48:31 AM
Having played the game I can't say I have a shit how the thing looked while walking, I was too busy trying to not be seen by it.
Last post by SiL - Today at 10:47:20 AM
State of the badass art.
AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed