ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1)

Started by Darwinsgirl, Jun 01, 2013, 03:49:43 AM

Author
ALIEN: Out of the Shadows (Novel 1) (Read 154,683 times)

Xenomrph

I actually liked the AvP novelization quite a bit. Not as much as the ADF ones, but more than the Resurrection one (which I didn't dislike).

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 28, 2013, 07:59:13 PM
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/alan-dean-foster/

From 06.

Hey, thanks for that interview! I'll always treasure ADF's Alien novelization - that book (along with the Warren magazine) was Alien for me from 1979-1983, until I was finally able to see the film at a friend's place on VHS. Ah, the memories. :)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 28, 2013, 09:07:07 PMI like movie novelizations in general, I find them to be a fascinating side part of the moviegoing experience. The novelizations are sometimes based on earlier script drafts and are often written while the movie is still in production, so they'll include parts that end up as "deleted scenes" when the movie actually comes out.
Or, as is the case in the Predator novelization, you have a completely different monster that bears almost no relation to the one ultimately featured in the film!

Quote from: SM on Aug 28, 2013, 11:35:25 PMI don't recall anything especially bad in the Resurrection novelisation.  I think I read Crispins Han Solo series of books around the same time which I remember really digging.
I just thought the writing was slightly childish, in comparison to ADF's far more mature style. Still, I shan't knock anyone for enjoying it. Like I said, I found the extra info it contained pretty interesting.

Oh, and thanks for the (inadvertent) warning about AVP, despite not liking the film I was thinking about picking that one up to see if it improved anything. I shan't bother now!

Xenomrph

To be fair to the 'Predator' novelization, that's an example of it being based on an earlier version of the script. The Predator in the novelization is basically what we would have gotten if they'd kept the original "insect head" design played by Jean Claude Van Damme.

HuDaFuK

Well yes, that was my point. Interesting to see what might have been.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: predxeno on Jun 02, 2013, 03:37:28 AM
Quote from: thewoozy on Jun 02, 2013, 12:53:56 AM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Jun 01, 2013, 10:50:09 PM
From other EU stories, we know that Aliens can survive in the vacuum of space (including the Queen, after she gets dumped out of the Sulaco).

Was the queen from Aliens featured in an EU Story? I can't remember. Do you remember which one?

I don't think so; I read all the Aliens Omnibuses and novels.

As have I. I don't recall the Queen from Aliens being a character in any story outside the movie.

Also, it would be feasible to consider any kind of red tape or legal hoops for WY to jump through to begin colonization. They're just a company, which no doubt had to answer to the government (we assume WY is an American company, or even American-Japan/China company, Yutani being from where...?) so perhaps it took many years, so in the mean time they diverged company ships to investigate potential planets/planetoids (or even used probes like in Empire Strikes Back).

Although... if the company orders were to bring back the life form... they must have known LV-426 had a crashed ship. This leads us back to Prometheus... the Weyland Corporation...Prometheus (ship) must have sent back data to Earth. That, or Weyland Corp realized they had lost a ship and sent out other ships to scout for it/go on the same mission as Prometheus, to find extraterrestrial life forms. Either way, there's still speculation to this day until new movies come out lol

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Aug 30, 2013, 09:30:43 PM
Although... if the company orders were to bring back the life form... they must have known LV-426 had a crashed ship.

This may carry no weight as far as the films go, but since this is a thread about novels:

In ADF's Alien novel, Ash tells Ripley, Parker and Lambert that the company had, before putting Ash aboard the Nostromo, received and deciphered the derelict transmission, which was "frighteningly specific".

predxeno

Aliens: Original Sin said that the Space Jockeys themselves told the company about the ship's location.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Aug 30, 2013, 09:30:43 PM(we assume WY is an American company, or even American-Japan/China company, Yutani being from where...?)
I thought Weyland-Yutani was supposed to be a British/Japanese conglomerate, according to Ridley Scott's notes.

SM

SM

Yes, but it was Ron Cobb's notes.

If Pete was a pom, problem solved. :)

Although... if the company orders were to bring back the life form... they must have known LV-426 had a crashed ship. This leads us back to Prometheus... the Weyland Corporation...Prometheus (ship) must have sent back data to Earth.

Not really.  Some Company probe or something picked up the signal and they got the next passing ship to check it out.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: predxeno on Aug 31, 2013, 04:44:11 AM
Aliens: Original Sin said that the Space Jockeys themselves told the company about the ship's location.
I need to reread that (along with all the other "newer" original stories) because I don't recall that at all. I'll believe it though.
Quote from: SM on Aug 31, 2013, 11:22:21 AM
Yes, but it was Ron Cobb's notes.

If Pete was a pom, problem solved. :)

Although... if the company orders were to bring back the life form... they must have known LV-426 had a crashed ship. This leads us back to Prometheus... the Weyland Corporation...Prometheus (ship) must have sent back data to Earth.

Not really.  Some Company probe or something picked up the signal and they got the next passing ship to check it out.
Or we can assume a new ship would be sent out to discover what happened, which could be a plot for a new film, but the only thing wrong with your comment is the timeline... how many years difference between Alien and Prometheus? I'm not sure off hand.
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 31, 2013, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Aug 30, 2013, 09:30:43 PM(we assume WY is an American company, or even American-Japan/China company, Yutani being from where...?)
I thought Weyland-Yutani was supposed to be a British/Japanese conglomerate, according to Ridley Scott's notes.
Considering what we've seen, yeah I would retract my comment. British film maker, British actors...  yielding a fictional part British company? I can see where you're going with this :)

predxeno

Quote from: PRJ_since1990 on Sep 04, 2013, 05:32:50 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Aug 31, 2013, 04:44:11 AM
I need to reread that (along with all the other "newer" original stories) because I don't recall that at all. I'll believe it though.

It was at the end, where they explained a lot of things; it was part of a trade where the space jockeys got an entire human colony that I believe was mining some rich mineral.

SM

SM

Quotehow many years difference between Alien and Prometheus? I'm not sure off hand.

QuoteBritish film maker, British actors...  yielding a fictional part British company?

Named by an American.

PRJ_since1990

Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2013, 06:28:56 AM
Quotehow many years difference between Alien and Prometheus? I'm not sure off hand.

QuoteBritish film maker, British actors...  yielding a fictional part British company?

Named by an American.

MFW

I'm eager to reread Original Sin now, but more so for a new novel. Of course, it's been so long, it'll seem new to me hahaha.

Xenomrph

I'll FINALLY have access to all my Aliens comics and novels and shit in the very near future - I'm moving into my new house tomorrow, and I took all of my stuff out of storage today.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed