Does Prey make Predator: 1718 Non-canon?

Started by Frosty Venom, Aug 13, 2022, 08:09:43 AM

Author
Does Prey make Predator: 1718 Non-canon? (Read 5,888 times)

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 18, 2022, 06:45:52 AMThere it is. ^

That's the good stuff. 8)

Spoiler
[close]

@Samhain13 Heads up!  We've got a canon war!
I considered pinging you when I made the post. ;)

RakaiThwei

...How about I just pick what story I liked better and having that be canon instead of what a creative decision and a movie that I didn't like tell me what's canon or not?

Local Trouble

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 19, 2022, 12:02:39 AM...How about I just pick what story I liked better and having that be canon instead of what a creative decision and a movie that I didn't like tell me what's canon or not?

Forbidden.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 19, 2022, 12:02:39 AM...How about I just pick what story I liked better and having that be canon instead of what a creative decision and a movie that I didn't like tell me what's canon or not?

Go ahead👏 8)  You are the cu$tomer. You decide what is canon and what is not.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 19, 2022, 12:27:04 AM

Go ahead👏 8)  You are the cu$tomer. You decide what is canon and what is not.
This right here.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 19, 2022, 12:27:04 AMGo ahead👏 8)  You are the cu$tomer. You decide what is canon and what is not.

Thank you. Because I disliked PREY and how it handled the flintlock, and I most certainly didn't like it's version of Adolini.

I much prefer 1718's version of the character, as he was actually brave and willing to put up a fight and may even be considered heroic to a degree.

OpenMaw

I think the problem here is that words are not being understood by their definition.

Canon, contrary to the signature I made for xenomrph, is not a question of opinion. There is no such thing as "personal" or "head" canon. Those are cute ways of saying "my opinion." Canon is a curated collection of works. We are not the curators of the franchise. We're the audience. Fox/Disney/TPTB are the curators of this franchise. For better or worse. They tell us what is canon, not the other way around. Right now, as far as Prey is concerned, they're telling us they don't follow the comic. For the simple fact that the only two elements in common between Predator 2, Prey, and the comic are the gun and the name. Absolutely nothing else from the comic was translated into this version.

Prime example. I absolutely hate Covenant and Prometheus and what they represent to the series. Hate it. I hate turning the alien into a robots science experiment. I think that disgraces the original films... But, that is my opinion. Fox/Disney/TPTB don't have any obligation to listen to what I say because they are the curators of this franchise, not me.

Canon, continuity, and personal opinion. Everyone is free to like whatever they like and think "well I prefer this version." That's all well and good. There are people in this community to this day who hold the comics that came out between Aliens and Alien 3 to be the "real events." Even though there is no way to reconcile those stories as originally written, with the events of Alien 3.

What you like is not the same thing as what is deemed official canon. You're not describing canon. You're describing your personal taste. There's nothing wrong with having personal taste or a preference. We can have all the feefees we want. The thread isn't asking about personal opinion. It's asking a clear cut question. Canon. No. Prey directly contradicts 1718, and as a result whatever grey canonical status 1718 had, has been lost. The question was answered.

I don't care what anyone, myself included, thinks is or isn't "canon." That's not what the word canon MEANS. What I personally deem as "really happened" or not does not equate to what Fox/Disney/TPTB decide is what is canonical. Book of Enoch is not canon. Neither is 1718. It may have been at one point defacto canon, but Greyback does not meet Adolini because the man is dead. Just as Hicks and Newt are dead in Alien 3.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: OpenMaw on Sep 19, 2022, 04:14:14 AMI think the problem here is that words are not being understood by their definition.

Canon, contrary to the signature I made for xenomrph, is not a question of opinion. There is no such thing as "personal" or "head" canon. Those are cute ways of saying "my opinion." Canon is a curated collection of works. We are not the curators of the franchise. We're the audience. Fox/Disney/TPTB are the curators of this franchise. For better or worse. They tell us what is canon, not the other way around. Right now, as far as Prey is concerned, they're telling us they don't follow the comic. For the simple fact that the only two elements in common between Predator 2, Prey, and the comic are the gun and the name. Absolutely nothing else from the comic was translated into this version.

Prime example. I absolutely hate Covenant and Prometheus and what they represent to the series. Hate it. I hate turning the alien into a robots science experiment. I think that disgraces the original films... But, that is my opinion. Fox/Disney/TPTB don't have any obligation to listen to what I say because they are the curators of this franchise, not me.

Canon, continuity, and personal opinion. Everyone is free to like whatever they like and think "well I prefer this version." That's all well and good. There are people in this community to this day who hold the comics that came out between Aliens and Alien 3 to be the "real events." Even though there is no way to reconcile those stories as originally written, with the events of Alien 3.

What you like is not the same thing as what is deemed official canon. You're not describing canon. You're describing your personal taste. There's nothing wrong with having personal taste or a preference. We can have all the feefees we want. The thread isn't asking about personal opinion. It's asking a clear cut question. Canon. No. Prey directly contradicts 1718, and as a result whatever grey canonical status 1718 had, has been lost. The question was answered.

I don't care what anyone, myself included, thinks is or isn't "canon." That's not what the word canon MEANS. What I personally deem as "really happened" or not does not equate to what Fox/Disney/TPTB decide is what is canonical. Book of Enoch is not canon. Neither is 1718. It may have been at one point defacto canon, but Greyback does not meet Adolini because the man is dead. Just as Hicks and Newt are dead in Alien 3.

I get what you're saying and all, I completely understand but I'm so frustrated with the franchises and way to jaded to just accept PREDATORS, The Predator, and Prey.

Canon be f**king damned.

Local Trouble

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 19, 2022, 04:25:37 AMReported.

Guilty as charged! Burn me at the stake!

OpenMaw

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 19, 2022, 04:20:49 AMCanon be f**king damned.

Every time I was hearing murmurings in the lead up to Prey "Oh I hope they show the pistol." I just... Be careful what you wish for.

Same thing with everyone begging for an answer to the Space Jockey question. We were better off with the mystery, weren't we?

The answer to the question of the pistol was always far better left blank. That scene says so much in two minutes. Why waste that beautiful mystery? Well, here we are.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: OpenMaw on Sep 19, 2022, 04:14:14 AM

I think the problem here is that words are not being understood by their definition.

The point is that "official canon" doesn't matter. Who cares what FOX/Disney "says"? Why on earth should that dictate what part of a fictional media franchise I consider "true"?

Head-canon is absolutely as valid as "official canon" from the end-user point of view. Nobody cares (or at least, should care) what Fox/Disney say, it's all fiction anyway, believe what you want. "Official canon" only matters to the creators, and even then they can change things on a whim if it suits their storytelling, "official canon" be damned. Disney/Fox are not "curators" of the franchise, they merely make content for it. You are the curator for what you choose to believe about, again, a fictional media franchise.

Canon, the actual religious definition of canon, was at its core "a set of texts (also called "books") which a particular Jewish or Christian religious community regards as part of the Bible". Key word there: community decided. The actual original definition of "canon" was literally head-canon.

Even "fictional" canon is defined as "the material accepted as officially part of the story in an individual universe of that story by its fan base." Again, decided by the fans.

OpenMaw

Quote from: Xenomrph on Sep 19, 2022, 04:47:49 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Sep 19, 2022, 04:14:14 AM

The point is that "official canon" doesn't matter. Who cares what FOX/Disney "says"? Why on earth should that dictate what part of a fictional media franchise I consider "true"?

Head-canon is absolutely as valid as "official canon" from the end-user point of view. Nobody cares (or at least, should care) what Fox/Disney say, it's all fiction anyway, believe what you want. "Official canon" only matters to the creators, and even then they can change things on a whim if it suits their storytelling, "official canon" be damned. Disney/Fox are not "curators" of the franchise, they merely make content for it. You are the curator for what you choose to believe about, again, a fictional media franchise.

Canon, the actual religious definition of canon, was at its core "a set of texts (also called "books") which a particular Jewish or Christian religious community regards as part of the Bible". Key word there: community decided. The actual original definition of "canon" was literally head-canon.

Even "fictional" canon is defined as "the material accepted as officially part of the story in an individual universe of that story by its fan base." Again, decided by the fans.

It's a nonsensical term. Canon isn't the same thing as opinion. Canon is a curated collection of works. Fox is the curator, we are not.

"Canon 1a : a regulation or dogma decreed by a church council. b : a provision of canon law. "

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Fox merely creates the content, the fans are who curate it.

You're also conflating whether or not "official canon" matters compared to headcanon (it doesn't). You're saying "but it's canon!" as if it's supposed to mean something.

Check out the links you quoted. Even if you want to take the route that the Church "curates" biblical content, not only is it merely a third-party reaching a generally agreed upon consensus and not an "official truth" (since the Church ostensibly didn't write the Bible, they are merely purporting to interpret a text they didn't create), nobody is obligated to follow what the Church says anyway. Not to mention that different denominations of the "same" religion consider different texts to be canonical - again, community decided. If you want to accept the Book of Enoch as "canonical" in your personal faith, there is absolutely no one stopping you.

The "official canon" (be it fictional or Biblical) does not matter. It all comes down to what you personally believe - if you feel that following the "official canon" is what brings you closer to enlightenment, even if you don't like everything you believe in, then that is a personal choice to do so. It is literally head-canon all the way down.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed