General atmospheric feel and nature of the film

Started by Murfy426, Mar 08, 2015, 06:16:21 PM

Author
General atmospheric feel and nature of the film (Read 1,368 times)

Murfy426

Just wondering people's opinions about if the new movie will take a more outright horror or action and tension tone, its pretty obvious from the concept art of the queen that there will be multiple aliens in the movie but its still quite a unknown factor as blomkamp maybe could somehow even bring the feeling and atmosphere of the first two movies together but that's probably just being way too hopeful. maybe he will take the franchise in an entirely new atmospheric direction away from all our ideas of reviving our feelings from Scott's and Cameron's movies if your reading this post drop your opinion please

Nightmare Asylum

I don't really see "horror" and "action/tension" as being mutually exclusive. Aliens, action-packed as it was, was just as scary as Alien in certain moments.

I think Blomkamp's project is going to be more action-oriented than Alien, but given his almost equal love of the original film (which, in a recent interview with IGN, he said may have just edged out Aliens as his favorite after viewing it for the first time in a theater) and the impact that Alien: Isolation had on him (after playing the game and falling in love with it's look and style he said that it made him rethink his own approach to the film a bit) it's hard to gauge exactly where in the spectrum it's going to fall. It's certainly bound to have its own identity while still, as he claims, feeling like it is directly connected to those first two films.

Murfy426

Good point on aliens, watching the scene when newt is taken in the water always always got me, the special edition scenes with the sentry guns though specifically the first attack when the guns run dry and you can hear them slamming into the pressure door always seems to get me even now after watching it for the best part of 15 years, I think another thing is as well that peoples conceptions and I have to admit some of my own of the alien films were dark lit when the aliens came into view and blomkamps first two movies (haven't seen chappie yet) were set a lot in broad daylight so it will be interesting to see as a director how he handles putting them in view and using the dark

andrew.deacon.946

andrew.deacon.946

I don't think you can really do outright Horror with the Alien franchise anymore as most people would have seen one of the movies before and will know what to expect - I reckon a great story and lots of action will be the best way to go

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Murfy426 on Mar 08, 2015, 06:36:28 PM
Good point on aliens, watching the scene when newt is taken in the water always always got me, the special edition scenes with the sentry guns though specifically the first attack when the guns run dry and you can hear them slamming into the pressure door always seems to get me even now after watching it for the best part of 15 years, I think another thing is as well that peoples conceptions and I have to admit some of my own of the alien films were dark lit when the aliens came into view and blomkamps first two movies (haven't seen chappie yet) were set a lot in broad daylight so it will be interesting to see as a director how he handles putting them in view and using the dark

Like his previous films Chappie is mostly set in bright, daytime exteriors as well. I wouldn't worry about that being the case here, though. Tonally this should be very different than what he's done before, especially with the first two films and Isolation being his major sources of inspiration.

The Cruentus

Quote from: andrew.deacon.946 on Mar 08, 2015, 06:50:00 PM
I don't think you can really do outright Horror with the Alien franchise anymore as most people would have seen one of the movies before and will know what to expect - I reckon a great story and lots of action will be the best way to go

Not true, no matter how many times we have seen the creature and the movies, they can still make it scary and a horror, Isolation was and I even knewwhat to expect from the game.

The kind of atmosphere I would like is for it to be like the first two films, gritty and realistic. Not silly or over the top like the fourth one was.

Murfy426

well at the very least the knowledge is cemented that blomkamp can do a gritty more grounded version of the future which to be honest was always a giant appeal to me even as a kid, my dads tapes of the star wars movies never got worn out, the aliens ones did though hehe  :D

NetworkATTH

I really want it to be a faithful thank you to everything Alien and Aliens inspired, as well as the aesthetics of the first film. It's impossible to go over everything I think the score should be totally unique, synth-y and might even take you out of the film (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knQ-wHzc17Q).

Just living up to what it wants to be, rather than try to become more than it deserves. But make it a celebration of the aesthetics of old sci-fi, rather than adding onto the concept of it. Make it romantic, make it dark, make it brooding. Make it everything everyone expects from 70's and 80's science fiction,not totally Aliens. Work from the base material in Alien. But make it your own film! There's a way to do all this, and make an audience come out with chills. Especially in the world of Alien

The Cruentus

We can't expect it to be too 70s/80s otherwise it may turn out to be a cheesy B movie, luckily the performances of the cast and the groundbreaking stuff ithe film had, and the creature design and so on, pushed it to an A.

NetworkATTH

Quote from: The Cruentus on Mar 08, 2015, 08:05:44 PM
We can't expect it to be too 70s/80s otherwise it may turn out to be a cheesy B movie, luckily the performances of the cast and the groundbreaking stuff ithe film had, and the creature design and so on, pushed it to an A.

It had to separate itself in the beginning because that was decades ago, this is decades after. It's easy to take something cheesy 80's, in a particular way that take advantage of its most purple aspects to bring something great and unexpected.

Murfy426

I agree though that one giant waiting factor is how the score will play out as well as the overall sound design something that isolation showcases very well is at times sound over sights, would really love to hear some thoughts on that, there has always been something chilling in good sound design when it comes to good sci fi/ horror prime example would be john carpenters the thing even though that was decades ago, one little example which I would love to get the sound clip for was in avp extinction when playing as the aliens, in this instance it would have to be a visionary composer to take these feelings and bring them into a modern sound

NetworkATTH

NetworkATTH

If I was handling this, this is how I would handle it. Adding from some thoughts I had in a previous thread.

I'd imagine they'd be picked up, and they go about each other perhaps keeping in contact, but overall avoiding each other and dealing with hellish amounts of post traumatic stress they'd deal with in different ways, which would be an interesting way to advance the plot.

I'd imagine, Newt as she grew up would be terribly emotionally scarred, messed up. But strong, she would want to just move on eventually and separate the memories and dwelling of the past in two different times in her life, and grow up with an almost refusal to believe it happened.

Hicks, saw his friends wiped out, and knew that Weyland Yutani and perhaps even Colonial Upstairs Government were in association at the time with Weyland Yutani, but at most. Enough to allow Burke to choose what and how many people were to travel to LV-426 to make them as unprepared as possible. Knowing what is on the line, we don't have much background on the Alien universe, but I'd imagine for multiple reasons, he would be the smarter "Let's not get hasty and open up about this, people are involved, and allegations like these could get us in serious trouble, legal..or otherwise."

Ripley, wouldn't want to shut up about it. Knowing her character, she is demanding, and not one to give up a fight. Her entire character at this point is the total need for closure. I'd imagine she'd be obsessed because at one moment she was a simple employee in a ship towing a refinery, a normal person, the next an Alien organism bursts out of a co-workers chest and kills everyone, and The Company is involved. She blows up the ship and almost dies evacuating the alien out of the the life boat and goes to hypersleep, she wakes up some 50 odd years later, and gets a minimum wage job moving around freight on a space station, with some traumatic stress. Her daughter grew up without her, and died. She would probably be in denial all of this just happened. Just wanting to move on. But she doesn't move on. She gets contacted by Burke, and a whole colony got wiped out, the marines get wiped out, and the company wanted to do use this terrible creature, despite knowing how unsafe it was.

I'm assuming Ripley would come out, and demand someone be responsible for everything she went through. She could not exist, knowing that not only these monsters existed, but somebody pulled off the same "Crew Expendable" joke twice and the lives of hundreds died, and her life was ruined. It would be tremendously unfair. She would probably come out with her story publicly, maybe some conspiracy theorists would believe her, but ultimately she would be laughed out of existence and remain barely a foot note in the public eye. Nobody would listen to her, hardly the media. That would be embarrassing. Frustrating. She would naturally go to Hicks and Newt, but they want nothing to do with this either, and by extension by speaking out, they would want nothing to do with her. That would infuriating, and heart wrenching.

They would go their separate ways for a few decades, growing older. Life moves on. Ripley can't move on. Her life was changed. Twice. I'd imagine, from this, the film will revolve around Ripley finding something out through her obsession with this case, like Ahab, and Hicks learning about this, reluctantly joining her out of knowing how unsafe these monsters were. Just wanting to be sure.

They obviously get involved in a crisis situation, involving the Aliens, and they grow a solid bond years later, that develops romantically. They remember the old times, just as the audience is, and they compliment each other.

This of course, with a backdrop of the aesthetic, of Michael Mann-ish cinematography I was speaking of.

I can't say I would think the plot matters much, aside from progressing those two characters to a point of closure, even if bitter sweet.

It would honestly be sappy. It would be preying on that soft spot for fighting, and the idea of seeing the Aliens themselves as almost a Parental Figure. Something that's saying, "No, these two cannot be together, they have to die".. From there, you can prey on the audience's emotions by having Ripley and Hicks having the strong relationship and emotions, both Ripley and Hicks were denied from having.

If this is about closure, you make Alien a horror film, you make Aliens action and tactical, you go the route of retrospective in Alien 5 as an Action Romance. A post modern exploration of what Aliens, Alien inspired, with the aspects of that time that audiences will instantly synch and fall for.

An Aliens sequel, if I was "In Charge", would end with credits with CHVRCHES playing (*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdhwyIQyVDo*). An ideal Aliens , just something that's honest about what it is, what it means, what it tried to do. Because I don't think honesty and self awareness is something that the Alien series went with, aside from Alien, Aliens, and Prometheus. Almost, as if a large f**k you to the hopless atmosphere the Alien series has settled itself in, just as Aliens was with how it ended. Bitter sweet, but not hopelessly cynical.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed