Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1051

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 568,234 times)

TheDerelict

TheDerelict

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 12, 2024, 06:35:54 PM
Quote from: TheDerelict on Apr 12, 2024, 04:24:00 PMAlien 3
Prometheus
Alien
Alien Covenant
Aliens
Alien Resurrection

Putting Covenant BELOW Prometheus?

This will NOT stand.

There are many aspects of Covenant that are better than Prometheus. But there are also things that annoy me. Despite both films flaws I like both fairly equally but feel that Prometheus tells a better story.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 12, 2024, 05:39:45 PM
Prometheus
Alien
Alien Covenant
Aliens
Alien Resurrection

I was asked once, if I could only watch one alien film for the rest of my life what would it be. I said Alien 3. I can still hear the audible gasps in my dreams.
Romulus could change this list forever.

Nice rank list!

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SZwxe.gif
Are you part of the so called AlienĀ³ cult?

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/SZwHh.gif

If there is such a thing...then yes.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: TheDerelict on Apr 12, 2024, 07:24:58 PM
Quote from: Slutty Badger on Apr 12, 2024, 06:35:54 PM
Prometheus
Alien
Alien Covenant
Aliens
Alien Resurrection

Putting Covenant BELOW Prometheus?

This will NOT stand.

There are many aspects of Covenant that are better than Prometheus. But there are also things that annoy me. Despite both films flaws I like both fairly equally but feel that Prometheus tells a better story.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Apr 12, 2024, 05:39:45 PM
Prometheus
Alien
Alien Covenant
Aliens
Alien Resurrection

I was asked once, if I could only watch one alien film for the rest of my life what would it be. I said Alien 3. I can still hear the audible gasps in my dreams.
Romulus could change this list forever.

Nice rank list!

https://s12.gifyu.com/images/SZwxe.gif
Are you part of the so called AlienĀ³ cult?

https://s9.gifyu.com/images/SZwHh.gif

If there is such a thing...then yes.

That's a great cult to be a part of.  ;)

Kradan

Kradan

Come join us ! We ain't got no entertainment center, no climate control, no video system, no surveillance, no freezers, no f**king ice cream, no rubbers, no women, no guns. All we got here is SHIT !

gold

gold

Does anyone else feel like every Alien movie after (Ripley) Aliens has been a copy of Alien 3? Not in terms of story or theme, but in terms of feel.

Just sad, desperate, hopeless depression movies.

"Here's yet another bunch of people, led by a female brunette, getting eaten"TM

It's like the studios know it has fans and people will come to watch it, so the writers are all sub par, the stories always appealing to the lowest common denominator "scare, blood, guts, horror" and no lore or interesting story. It's starting to feel like a childrens' puppet show where you can see the hands inside the puppets and the magic is gone.

Think about it, A1, A2 and A3 were the Ripley trilogy. A3 killed the excitement of the franchise to me (and my friends) back in 1992. I don't count Alien Resurrection as to me that was a spoof or satire like Space Balls or Ghostbusters Frozen empire.

Aliens was the only movie to have a lasting impact on film in many ways. The Pulse Rifle today is an iconic sci fi weapon that has been copied in countless media, with replicas and airsoft versions being released. Can you name any weapon from A3, Res, Prometheus or Covenant (or Dune or Avatar for that matter?).

It seems like every version of Alien after 1986 has been depressing. Just killing Hollywood Ripley clones. Elizabeth Shaw? Dead. The other brunette Hollywood actress (Ripley clone) from Covenant, also most likely dead. Now in Romulus another Hollywood Ripley clone (brunette actress) same story. Alien Isolation (Amanda Ripley) another Hollywood brunette Ripley clone. I'm sick of the Ripley clones. It feels like "made in China" Alien movies. Just cheap, low quality copies of the original.

The Blomkamp thing looked like it was gonna be the opposite of the crud we got since Aliens, a great story (A3 possibly being a dream) with the "real" Ripley and Hicks, and addition to the lore. Not a copy but a better version/addition/deepening of the lore of 1986. But we know what happened to that.

What we get will be:

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: gold on Yesterday at 10:09:09 AMCan you name any weapon from A3, Res, Prometheus or Covenant

Lacrima 99 Shockrifle, Draco Double Burner, ES-4 Electrostatic Pistol, ES-7 Supernova Electrostatic Shockgun, Flammenwerfer 3 Heavy Incineration Unit, and the RMC F903WE Automatic Assault Rifle.

gold

gold

Quote from: Slutty Badger on Yesterday at 10:35:04 AM
Quote from: gold on Yesterday at 10:09:09 AMCan you name any weapon from A3, Res, Prometheus or Covenant

Lacrima 99 Shockrifle, Draco Double Burner, Flammenwerfer 3 Heavy Incineration Unit, and the RMC F903WE Automatic Assault Rifle.

Yeah, put those on a poll with the Pulse Rifle and it will be 97.7%, 1.2%, 0.7%, 0.3%.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/what-happened-to-creativity-in-futuristic-movie-fire-arms-design-pics-inside.357234/

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: gold on Yesterday at 10:39:35 AMYeah, put those on a poll with the Pulse Rifle and it will be 97.7%, 1.2%, 0.7%, 0.3%.

https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/what-happened-to-creativity-in-futuristic-movie-fire-arms-design-pics-inside.357234/

Well, hey, you asked if anyone could name weapons from those films.

SiL

SiL

@gold

QuoteCan you name any weapon from A3, Res, Prometheus or Covenant.
Name a weapon that's actually named in those movies.

Quote(or Dune
Crysknife, lasguns. The lack of guns is kind of important to the plot; it's mostly standard melee weapons, except the Crysknife which has a distinct origin and significance.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Also, there's the Rexim laser pistol from Alien, and the smartgun in Aliens, neither of which are mentioned in the films.

Does the quinitricetyline in Alien 3 count?

gold

gold

Peeh, you know exactly what I mean. Aliens and A3 were the last original movies (A3 disappointing a lot of fans). Think of how DIFFERENT Alien, Aliens and Alien3 are in terms of films.

A: Res copied (and satirized) Earth War somewhat and everything since has been "Made in China":

Like badly copied Chinese car designs that try and copy BMW and Mercedes, the brunette actresses on Prometheus, Covenant and Romulus are even cast to LOOK like Sigourney Weaver.

Do something original for once (Blomkamp :( ) and stop insulting viewer intelligence.

/ok rant over. Sorry, I love this franchise but this needs to be said (and I'm sure has been said by others), like on the RPF forum here:

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

You ought to watch this gold:

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: gold on Yesterday at 11:10:45 AMPeeh

Okay, I'll give you this - nobody was expecting you to say that.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: gold on Yesterday at 11:10:45 AMDo something original for once (Blomkamp :( ) and stop insulting viewer intelligence.

You're complaining about casting actors who look like Weaver then pine for a project that wanted to cast Weaver.

Peeeeehh

gold

gold

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Yesterday at 11:24:44 AMYou ought to watch this gold:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mskxKtU0ZHQ

@SiL: Yes, casting actual Ellen Ripley as opposed to a brunette Hollywood clone.

@BlueMarsalis79: Thank you so much for that link. What an awesome video.

Neil Blomkamp is me.

It's hard to explain the cognitive dissonance that I sometimes feel when discussing the franchise with people. But for people like me (of my age) who saw these movies as they were released to cinemas there was a -tremendous- let down that happened in 1992. Alien (Scott) was 1 Alien, Aliens (Cameron) was multiple Aliens. We all had such great hopes for A3.

It was going to be all out war on Earth? A venture to the Aliens home planet? More lore? Was the Xenomorph a manifestation of a realm beyond the universe where raw emotions with no logic reigned? Was that why the sexual Giger shapes were so repulsive and attractive at the same time? Why humans couldn't really "place" them?

No, Hicks dead, little Newt dead, all in the opening minute. Ripley comitting suicide at the end.

What a let down.

I know for a fact that this is what we all felt back in 1992.

Blompkamp felt exactly the same thing (there were so many of us). It seems like he really understood where this franchise had needed to go after Aliens. Where it wanted to go.

Say what you like but Blomkamps Alien 5 would haven been an EVENT. The entire fanbase would have looked foreward to it years in advance (and we did).

All we have now of that parallel timeline sequel to Aliens is the 2013 Aliens: Colonial Marines game. Which (at least on PC with TemplarGFX) scratches the itch somewhat.

But man would Blomkamps Alien have been special.

Think about it, it would have been different but- a true sequel to Aliens. Alien 3 was different (way different to what we expected) and has its fans. Blomkamps A5 would have had its fans for decades to come.

In all honesty I think in that parallel dimension, internet polls would be divided between Aliens 1986 and Blomkamps A5 being the single best movie in the franchise.

Slutty Badger

Slutty Badger

Quote from: gold on Yesterday at 11:10:45 AM"Here's yet another bunch of people, led by a female brunette, getting eaten"TM

Like badly copied Chinese car designs that try and copy BMW and Mercedes, the brunette actresses on Prometheus, Covenant and Romulus are even cast to LOOK like Sigourney Weaver.

Noomi Rapace's hair in Prometheus is red. Also, neither her nor Katherine Waterston look anything like Sigourney Weaver.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed