POLL: Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film retcon the series?

Started by MrSpaceJockey, Feb 19, 2015, 10:18:17 PM

Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film eliminate ALIEN 3 and ALIEN Resurrection from the canon?

Strong Yes
Indifferent, but inclined to say Yes
Indifferent, but inclined to say No
Strong No
Whatever happens happens.
Author
POLL: Should Blomkamp's ALIEN film retcon the series? (Read 20,609 times)

MrSpaceJockey

So this is obviously a major point of interest regarding this new film.  Early concept art makes it clear that Blomkamp is interested in retelling the story from the end of ALIENS and onwards.

Personally, this is one of my biggest concerns and reasons why I'm reluctant to support this film. 

This idea has been discussed for years, and now that we know Blomkamp's project is moving forward, and the notion of canceling out ALIEN 3 and Resurrection is a possibility, I'm interested in actual statistics regarding this matter.

The Cruentus

There is no true neutral option so I didn't vote  :laugh: see I wouldn't mind Resurrection being retconned but on Alien 3 I am conflicted.

RakaiThwei

I want to support this movie but at the same time I don't want it to retcon the series. I think the series has been retconned enough as it is if we take into account of certain elevated EU material. I mean what with Colonial Marines and all.. I think Ripley's story has been told and Alien 3 was a good book end to the series, and Resurrection... a mediocre epilogue. I get that twenty two years ago a lot of people hated Alien 3 but retconning it seems like nothing more than fan pandering.

If they want to go ahead with Ripley, go on with Ripley 8 and show that she just has one last hurrah in her. I am not sure on Sigourney's thoughts on Resurrection but if she is going to be cast in the movie... start speculating this could be a retcon. In regards to Michael Biehn in the movie... No. I think he was done with the series after Colonial Marines.

Enough retconning.

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: The Cruentus on Feb 19, 2015, 10:21:56 PM
There is no true neutral option so I didn't vote  :laugh: see I wouldn't mind Resurrection being retconned but on Alien 3 I am conflicted.

I wasn't sure if there were too many options but hell, I added it in anyway.

I feel like there is no chance in continuing the story of Ripley 8.  The world of Alien: Resurrection is quite distant and in many ways different from the rest of the series, and I don't think audiences, nor Neill Blomkamp, is interested in exploring it.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: MrSpaceJockey on Feb 19, 2015, 10:26:04 PM
I feel like there is no chance in continuing the story of Ripley 8.  The world of Alien: Resurrection is quite distant and in many ways different from the rest of the series, and I don't think audiences, nor Neill Blomkamp, is interested in exploring it.

If that's the case, it should be a stand-alone.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I am indifferent to this aspect. Realistically, I only want it to have no overt connections to the Prometheus films. That's all, really.

Ash 937

I think it's more interesting to incorporate the Space Jockeys into the next storyline than to explore Ripley 8.  Alien: Resurrection was an interesting concept but the time difference between that film and Alien3 makes it feel like a whole new universe imo.

I'd be fine if they kept Ripley out of the next film and continued on after Alien3.  It's always been annoying to me that Weaver insisted on killing Ripley off in Alien3 and then took the money grab for Alien Resurrection and then justified it as an interesting development of for the character of Ripley.

While I wouldn't mind a retcon of the series, I really do feel like another Ripley-based film would just continue to hold the series back in more ways than if they just honored Alien3's existence.  Regardless of what I think though, I'm sure that Ripley will be in the film since she is Blomkamp's Chappie and I'm assuming already involved in talks to reprise her role with him.

windebieste

I voted No, and here's why. 

I'm all for Blomkamp to make an 'ALIENS 2' movie, I'm just against retconning anything that has already happened within the series to accommodate this.

I'd love to see a fresh cast of characters having new stories involving the USCM.  I don't think we need Rippers and Hicks to return just to do that -  employ young actors with good track records and it will work without a hitch.  If we get a new entry into the series of that nature, then there's no need to retcon half the series away.

A new 'ALIENS 2' movie, please, by all means.  The only thing preventing everyone from being happy with all 5 movies being canonical is the inclusion of Ripley and Hicks.  If people would just be prepared to make the compromise that these 2 characters would not be necessary then everyone will get what they want.

After all, sacrificing 2 characters is nothing compared to sacrificing half the series for the sake of a single new entry in the series that at this point in time is completely unproven in either content and/or quality.

-Windebieste.

whiterabbit

I'm a strong No in that this movie is suppose to be with in the current universe. Both Alien 3 and A|R were honest attempts at making a movie. You can't retcon shit like that, yo.

The entire problem is that if they want to have Ripley and possible Hicks in it, then they have no choice but to do reboot or remake. Neither of which sounds like a good idea. If it's only Ripley then they are left with an A|R sequel.

Personally I want a new standalone movie, with new characters starring the aliens.

MCP

Only films they should ignore is the AVP films and Prometheus.

Alien 3 and A:R are brilliant additions to the universe.

Doktor Wunderbar

I'll be intrigued to see where they go either way.  I'm neutrally enthusiastic.

Magegg

James Cameron and Ridley Scott said that Alien 3 was a terrible decision and a "slap to the face". A retcon would be necessary to return to their intended route.

Because seriously, whatever composite writer that created Alien 3 did, it didn't honor at all the series, and it's not me who is saying it, but also the creators of Alien and Aliens.

Alien 3 is nothing but an spurious child that occupied a place never belonged to it. It should be exterminated and vanished forever.

Gash

Gash

Prometheus trod a careful line in telling it's own story, with clear links to  A L I E N,  whilst allowing the  A L I E N  sequels to have gone in their own limited route unassailed.

Alien 5 has a problem, either it retcons, actively disrespecting film makers and followers of the trilogy (at least) or it carries on from Alien: Resurrection - which won't do it any favours. I think we can assume AvP and AvP:R will be ignored as Prometheus booted them into oblivion

That is of course if Ripley is to return. If not, if it's all about new characters, it can bee set anywhere in the timeline between Prometheus 2 and Alien: Resurrection. I'd hope it was perhaps set shortly after  A L I E N. Trouble is the concept art doesn't look like that's the plan.

If Hicks is in it, I'll regard it as daft fan service. Even if a queen's is in it, I'll consider it to have taken the opportunity Prometheus gave it to open up and be more than about alien hives, and totally squandered it.

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 19, 2015, 11:39:39 PM
James Cameron and Ridley Scott said that Alien 3 was a terrible decision and a "slap to the face". A retcon would be necessary to return to their intended route.

Because seriously, whatever composite writer that created Alien 3 did, it didn't honor at all the series, and it's not me who is saying it, but also the creators of Alien and Aliens.

Alien 3 is nothing but an spurious child that occupied a place never belonged to it. It should be exterminated and vanished forever.

I don't think Ridley Scott said anything of the sort about Alien3.

He did however say that Cameron's route wasn't the one he'd have chosen.

RabidNinja

It's essentially a chose that boils down to this:

Retcon A3 and A:R -Hicks, newt and Bishop still alive and all is well within the universe. Blomkamp can essentially go in any direction at this point.

Sequel - Hicks/Newt are dead (If CM is supported as canon), Ripley 8 is still stuck on earth with Hellboy and Lydia (Beetlejuice) on a dead end earth, just waiting for aliens to come for them. WY are gone completely, leaving Blomkamp's teased concepts on the cutting room floor.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I want Alien V with Ripley 8 . I think that concept left open the door to many possibilities, beyond mediocrity that was Alien R (in fact in this regard is similar to Prometheus IMHO)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed