Started by Shasvre, Feb 03, 2011, 08:43:31 PM

Did you like the movie?

Yes.
No.
Author
Hellboy (2019) (Read 114,359 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I would liken the GdT Hellboy movies to, say, the Burton Batman movies in that regard. Hellboy is a Hellboy movie directed by del Toro, in the way that Batman is a Batman movie directed by Burton. Hellboy II: The Golden Army is a del Toro movie that happens to star Hellboy, in the way that Batman Returns is a Burton movie that happens to star Batman. And it should be stated, I really, really love both The Golden Army and Returns.

I adore del Toro's take on Hellboy in general across both films, and would have given anything to get one last movie to end the trilogy and see his vision through to its ending. I'm also a very big fan of what I've read of Mignola's comics, and I'd be down to see a more accurate take on Hellboy brought to life on screen (the 2019 film... wasn't that, imo, and I still think a proper comic-accurate take should be animated), I just wish we could have gotten to see del Toro finish up his story before moving onto a reboot.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 23, 2023, 01:21:08 PMI would liken the GdT Hellboy movies to, say, the Burton Batman movies in that regard. Hellboy is a Hellboy movie directed by del Toro, in the way that Batman is a Batman movie directed by Burton. Hellboy II: The Golden Army is a del Toro movie that happens to star Hellboy, in the way that Batman Returns is a Burton movie that happens to star Batman. And it should be stated, I really, really love both The Golden Army and Returns.

I adore del Toro's take on Hellboy in general across both films, and would have given anything to get one last movie to end the trilogy and see his vision through to its ending. I'm also a very big fan of what I've read of Mignola's comics, and I'd be down to see a more accurate take on Hellboy brought to life on screen (the 2019 film... wasn't that, imo, and I still think a proper comic-accurate take should be animated), I just wish we could have gotten to see del Toro finish up his story before moving onto a reboot.

You explained what I couldn't so well. Well said. I totally get that point of view.

Immortan Jonesy

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I've more or less made my peace with not having Hellboy III, and the fact Selma Blair probably couldn't return because of her MS is a big part of it. I wouldn't want a recast, and I don't think a third could work without Liz.

But regardless, this Crooked Man idea would have been much more exciting if they had just done this in the last reboot instead of whatever the hell that movie was. Starting with one of the short stories for a different take makes perfect sense, not adapting stuff from near the end of the goddamn book. And it's the same production company behind this, which makes me very leery about it. And as much as I like Crank and Ghost Rider 2, I'm not 100% sold on Taylor as the director.

ace3g

Immortan Jonesy

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Ron Perlman Says He Would Return as Hellboy to Finish the Trilogy

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/hellboy-3-ron-perlman-return-wants-finish-trilogy/

Man, if only... :-\

Nightmare Asylum

SM

SM

Who originally created the designs that made up those 3000?

If it was Mignola stuff from the comics, don't see any issue.  If it was other people who haven't made them available for AI plundering - then yeah - f**k right off.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I do not care that Hellboy 2 TGA came out in 2008. Just do Hellboy 3 with Ron Perlman and  Guillermo del Toro or f**k off, stop wasting our time.

Local Trouble

SM

SM

Then The Offering can f**k right off.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 01, 2024, 06:25:26 AMI do not care that Hellboy 2 TGA came out in 2008. Just do Hellboy 3 with Ron Perlman and  Guillermo del Toro or f**k off, stop wasting our time.

I always found that sequel to be tonally off from what I'd expect a Hellboy film to be which is strange given on paper it did all the things right according to the books. Hard to explain but for me personally it didn't feel like it was from the Mignola Universe rather more Guillermo's universe when I first saw it. Not sure what I expected given it was Del Toro's movie after all. Didn't Mike and GDT have a falling out during that film???

Think I need to watch it again.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Hellboy II: The Golden Army is much more a del Toro film than it is an adaptation of Mignola's comics (in much the same way that Batman Returns is much more a Tim Burton movie that happens to feature Batman, rather than a full-on attempt at adapting Batman comics, and like Returns, Golden Army follows on from a first film that is much more traditional in the way it adapts the material). Hellboy II: The Golden Army is also, in my opinion, an absolute masterpiece of the genre, one of the very best comic book and fantasy films ever made. I adore it.

SM

SM

Bought a stack of Hellboy comics from Humble Bundle not long ago

Think I need to rewatch the flicks too.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed