Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 469,954 times)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Eldritch Abomination. I love that. :)

keylight-di

keylight-di

@Alex, I can't add anything else. I approve. With great pleasure.

:)

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

Both of the species' capabilities are downplayed in the AVP movies, and it's a huge disservice for them. Ultimately the movie waters down every single aspect of what made the respectable franchises so entertaining, including both stripping down all the substance and character development, as well as key characteristics of inhuman creatures. It ends up being a cliched versus movie that we have been used to before for at least 50 years.

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

QuotePredators should win by using their hunting techniques, with emphasis on skill and judgement, not brute strength.

Well, I think I said that.

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

Well, my post started as a reply to you and then became a general rant, as happens.

:P

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: MadassAlex on Feb 28, 2010, 10:13:59 AM
How did a franchise with this potential end up with us ever doubting the power of an Eldritch Abomination beyond human comprehension?

The argument should not be:

"Would an Alien or a Predator win?"

It should be:

"What tactics can a Predator use to defeat an Alien?"

Why?

Because the franchise itself implies it but fails to capitalise on the potential for truly impressive battles. Aliens may be the whipping boys in terms of the output material, but Predators are equally as let-down. Instead of being clever and resourceful, they're limited to be being humanised, bronze-age hero archetypes. Anderson had his faults but he got this right. Celtic is set up to defeat Grid, not due to his own strength, but due to his quick-thinking. In an instant, he thinks of using his netgun to trap Grid and it's only his arrogance afterwards that lets him down. That was tense, entertaining and a testament to the combat adaptability of both species.

The entire underlying concept of an Alien is its superiority. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility, and it's up to the Predators to overcome that. We rarely see that - we generally just see PUNCHURGHDEAD or BLAMBLAMBLAM. We don't see Aliens and Predators testing one-another's agility, cleverness, resourcefulness or creativity - at least, not often enough.

After all, Predators are elite hunters. Aliens are (probably) war-machines created via biotechnology for a lost but vastly superior race. Predators shouldn't want to have a stand-up fight with Aliens, because that's where Aliens are supposed to win via concept. Predators should win by using their hunting techniques, with emphasis on skill and judgement, not brute strength.

Incredibly eloquent, spot on, and delivers a good deal of "owned, biatch!". You, sir, are my hero. If you'll excuse me, I'll be off in the corner, weeping with joy.

Reaper Pred

Reaper Pred

Predators!!
it would be like choosing between a human with advanced weapons.. and oversized roaches!!
simple! :P
ppl wont agree but...aliens as a species :overrated! :'(
....the movies were brilliant though! ;D

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

The Eldritch Abomination is an oversized roach?

Drago-Morph

Drago-Morph

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 28, 2010, 06:42:39 PM
The Eldritch Abomination is an oversized roach?

Didn't you get the memo? Scott himself recently stated that he was utterly incorrect in his portrayal of the Alien as a killing machine. He said if he had to do it again, he'd fix it so that it would be true to our lord and savior film, Requiem, and that he would make the Alien be incompetent on its own, so he'd make hundreds swarm the ship. After all, that is how many Aliens it would take to kill anything, because they're just stupid, mindless bugs.

. . . Right?

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Hm... I guess I didn't get the memo.

Hive Tyrant

Hive Tyrant

Quote from: EatWheat on Feb 17, 2010, 02:53:16 PM
Alien are born super strong and awesome but preds have to train , so for example put a 1 year old alien vs 1 year old pred

You'd pit a baby against a killing machine? Very cruel.

Navaha

Navaha

Quote from: Rahul on Feb 28, 2010, 05:45:26 PM
Predators!!
it would be like choosing between a human with advanced weapons.. and oversized roaches!!

A single xenomorph killed the crew of an entire spaceship (minus one person, who basically got lucky). A second one wiped out most of a prison. When actually portrayed right, they're much more than space bugs.

As for Predators, both of the main Predators in the first two Predator movies were undone by overconfidence. A fight between a pred and a xenomorph that portrayed them properly would be far closer than they showed in AvP, let alone AvP:R, in which the directors basically admitted to ruining the xenomorphs simply because they didn't like them. :-\

Quote from: Hive Tyrant on Feb 28, 2010, 11:37:55 PM
Quote from: EatWheat on Feb 17, 2010, 02:53:16 PM
Alien are born super strong and awesome but preds have to train , so for example put a 1 year old alien vs 1 year old pred

You'd pit a baby against a killing machine? Very cruel.

I sure as f**k would! :P

Reaper Pred

Reaper Pred

Quote from: Navaha on Mar 01, 2010, 06:56:55 AM
Quote from: Rahul on Feb 28, 2010, 05:45:26 PM
Predators!!

A single xenomorph killed the crew of an entire spaceship (minus one person, who basically got lucky). A second one wiped out most of a prison. When actually portrayed right, they're much more than space bugs.

As for Predators, both of the main Predators in the first two Predator movies were undone by overconfidence. A fight between a pred and a xenomorph that portrayed them properly would be far closer than they showed in AvP, let alone AvP:R, in which the directors basically admitted to ruining the xenomorphs simply because they didn't like them. :-\
uh....ok then oversized roaches with an appetite....
and abt wolf killing the cough ...roaches..cough...kinda gave me the satisfaction i needed... after grid throwin preds with its "TAIL"! >:(
and paul anderson preferred aliens so....

MadassAlex

MadassAlex

And absolutely everyone has who's had their hands on the AvP franchise has preferred Predators.

Point?

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: MadassAlex on Mar 01, 2010, 12:06:55 PM
And absolutely everyone has who's had their hands on the AvP franchise has preferred Predators.

Are you sure, Alex? :-\
I would not want to be preferred in this way. No way... :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed