Corporal Hicks

He was being sarcastic guys.

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Or was he?

... Yes, he probably was.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Just finished the marine campaign. f**king.Awesome.

Puks

Puks

How I envy you.  :(

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Yeah, marine is the best.

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

*Grumbles*

It's just tomorrow, just tomorrow... I can wait that long...

*Insanity begins to swell*

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

One week for me...  :(

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

:(

Sorry TJ, I'd be insane by then, well, more insane than usual.

X-SOLDIER

X-SOLDIER

I've only completed the Alien campaign (PS3), but I'm gonna put up my thoughts up of what I felt so far, I'll update as I go through the other campaigns. I've made sure to spoiler tag the important stuff, so as not to ruin it for anyone.

The controls: They take a little getting used to, but a little testing in Multiplayer meant that I had a pretty good handle on them going into things. I use the Auto-transition, and there's only a couple moments where I got turned around, and that's mostly when I backed up over uneven boxes or something while on walls. Generally I didn't have any problems, and the button placement seems quite natural. Hissing to pull away the marines is great and the ceiling stealth tactics work just as you'd hope. The ability to tell if you're in the light and dark is really natural, as is the ability to tell when you can jump to an object or not.
Lighting: Especially when you start getting to smack around the lights dropped on the ground, and watch them fly around. It makes the stalking around in the blackness that much better, when you come tearing out at the unsuspecting humans.
The feel: This game did a great job making you feel like a Xenomorph rushing around on the walls, and ripping apart marines & harvesting the poor humans.
Stealth Kills I honestly never get tired of them. They're just so rewarding.
Fighting Synthetics: They just feel tough, and getting to hit them around has the right balance. They're harder to knock down than marines, but that's how they're supposed to be, and you still feel capable against them up close. (Not to mention the awesome dialogue when you hiss at them, "Xenomorph hailing frequency detected." ;D )

Minor Criticisms:
Harvest: I wish that there was one additional Harvest animation, like a unique one for if you pounce/injure them before harvesting, rather than stealth, or even pushing them on their side.
More lights: I wish that there were more opportunity for you to creep around in places with marines, and take out the lights in more stealthy ways, rather than the more generic "cut the power" missions. Something that would totally drop an entire section of a room into darkness. It's an excellent feature, but I wish that there were a lot more opportunities to use the ability to knock around and kill the lights.
Indestructable sentry guns: It's fine that they're not able to be destroyed to make some areas more difficult, but it didn't ever really feel like they NEEDED to stay there, but it felt incredibly odd not even being able to hit them.
Vent transitioning: 95% of the time, it works really well, but there were a few times when I got stuck trying to run through a Vent, because didn't hit X in time, because it was directly in front of me and I was running and I went too far forward and hit an invisible wall, so I had to back up, in order to make the button prompt come back up. The only other thing if for the ceiling Vents on the second Level, I wish that there was a way to specify if you wanted to drop to the floor when exiting the Vent, or hold on to the ceiling like holding R2.
Big trees: They're a little awkward to climb, and you hit the invisible wall up just before you think you would, in addition to the fact that they're too far apart to jump between, even when climbing out on the limbs.
Mission composition:
Spoiler
Much of this is covered in my mission length section, but I'll elaborate more here.  I'd like to have seen your transitioning from the Test Lab, to the outside, to the Predator ruins feel a bit less... disjointed. Seeing little clues about the scientist's experiments, leading you out to isolate them. I'd like to have seen at least a few moments where, due to your actions, you start to see things getting overrun, like shutting down power to an area lets in Xenomorphs from another area of the complex to kill a room full of marines. In the ruins mission, you could even take all the people who were harvested in the Mission in the Predator ruins, and have them hatch out, and by lying in wait for the Predators when they come down to fight you, rather than just having the Aliens running in from somewhere miscelaneous. That way, when you get to fight the Elite Predator, you really feel like he & 6 are more powerful than the others. I also wish that you god to see more of Queen 6 (and that the camera wasn't so shaky at the end during the only closeup of her face).
[close]

Dislikes:
Campaign Length: I honestly didn't feel like there was enough Xenomorph goodness. There could EASILY have been 2-3 more missions. I wish there were more time to get to appreciate how unique and awesome 6 is supposed to be, rather than just running about disabling thing for the Queen.
Spoiler
There could be  one where you actually get to be on the same screen as the Queen, and possibly run about securing her Hive area (so she's not just a shrieking icon in the top left of your screen). One more to delve into the work of the W-Y scientists, and give some insight into their experimentation on the Royal Jelly. I'd also really have liked another of you breaking free on the ship after you're taken, and preparing to make your evolution into a Queen (since you don't see how she escapes, and it would've make a great stealth mission).
[close]
Fighting Predators: I wish that it felt like the Aliens actually held their ground in Close Combat against Predators. It doesn't feel like you hit them as hard as they hit you, cause they just take attacks, and you seem to get knocked about, like they knock you down with Heavy Attacks, but they just fall to a knee when hit by yours. It may be that I'm not excellent at the close combat system yet, but it's hard to read visual cues about your enemy's attack when you can't keep your vision on them after getting hit once. The prompts for Block & Light Attack to counter their moves is helpful, but I feel like it's something that the Predator should be seeing when Melee fighting the aliens, not the other way round.
Spoiler
Especially when 6, the super smart alien is getting tossed around by a couple of Young Blood predators.
[close]

X 8)

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Quote from: Purebreedalien on Feb 18, 2010, 10:41:06 PM
:(

Sorry TJ, I'd be insane by then, well, more insane than usual.

You play it for me, Purebreed! You play it for me!  :'(

XenoRad

XenoRad

Hi there. I just registered. I wrote a review for AVP3 and I believe it deserves its own thread. I have to warn some "purists" that I've been pretty critical. As a fan of the series, one who's waited 9 years for a proper AVP 3 and even more for a proper AVP movie I believe I must be thorough. I don't believe in the though that just because I'm a fan I'm supposed to ignore mistakes and shortcomings.
So here it goes:

I believe this game to be a mild disappointment. There's a pronounced lack of direction, polish and content throughout the game. Seems like the developers didn't know where to go with this game and took some parts from the previous games, some parts from the movies and mixed them together without a clear notion of what they wanted to achieve.

The problems start with the story and campaign progression. There's pretty much no story , only a crudely sketched premise and the game simply takes you through the levels without setting a clear goal at any point – only arbitrary objectives. Each campaign has 6 levels (5 for the Alien) and they all take place on 7 maps (in total), some being exclusive to a certain campaign or two. None of those maps (levels – as in considering a level a specific campaign version of a map) are particularly interesting. The order in which you go though them differs between species. That's another issue. You have no idea about the time-line. For example: You play the level Refinery with the marine and it's filled with Aliens. You also play it with the Alien but this time it's filled with marines. For the Predator the level is filled with marines and Aliens. This creates confusion – what's the time-line? There seems to be no clear chronology between the three campaigns. 
   Special mention of the Alien campaign. This is the worst campaign of them all. It's shorter than the other two and you don't really accomplish anything significant. It feels underwhelming.

Onto the gameplay. The AI is very poor in this game. Only the Aliens act smartly by employing hit and run tactics and by generally trying to out-maneuver you. The humans seem oblivious to pretty much anything. They don't notice dead bodies, they don't notice an Alien hanging by the ceiling right in front of them (not even when it's hissing loudly), they don't notice someone being killed right behind them, or aside them. And if they were having a conversation with someone they'll carry on even after stepping on that someone's dead body. The Predators don't fare much better. Both as a marine and an Alien I found that mostly they just ran/jumped from place to place oblivious of me hurting them. When I was playing as an Alien a Predator kept retreating while I was continuously hitting him with my tail.  (When he attacked though the melee system with its famous -blow-back after hit- effect often made it impossible to evade.)
        When the AI isn't being oblivious is being too observant. For instance some marines might not notice a cloaked Predator 6 feet from them, but after they do, sometimes they'll continue to see that Predator for a long time and distance.

Onto the melee system. I don't like it. I feel it takes freedom away from the players with the way it locks on to a target and prevents any input from the played while the attack sequence is automatically played out. Melee combat can often feel tedious due to this. Unless you perform a trophy kill from behind, dealing with a marine as an Alien can last for too long. If he's not alone this means certain death. I believe I should be able to attack and retreat the way I see fit and not have the game lock me out while performing predetermined animations that take too long and leave me vulnerable.

The controls for the game aren't stellar. The marine feels sluggish and the Alien has difficulties detaching from surfaces. Another problem is the lack of a crouch button. After dying because I couldn't hide behind some boxes, I can't see how anyone could say it's not needed. And if indeed if there's no need for crouch (or iron sights or leaning over a corner for that matter) then why is there a need for a carrying limit for the marine. I mean if the aim was realism, then that's realism half-done.
Also where are weapons like the Grenade Launcher, Rocket Launcher, Minigun, Net Gun, Spear Gun and the Spear as a melee weapon? Where's the night vision and the armor for the marine? Or the APC?
         I guess they weren't "needed" just like more than 7 maps for the singleplayer weren't needed, nor was a good storyline. Quite a lot of stuff this game didn't "need".
I realize that some might argue that the lack of content will be rectified via DLCs. But that just proves the point that people are paying upfront the full price while receiving the full game only later. That's not something that should be encouraged.

The game also suffers from "consolification". The interface betrays a console port  . The game is constantly telling you where to go and with which objects you can interact with. (And by the way as the Alien there is no free transition through vents – you have to wait until the game tells you to press a button and then press that button for an automatic transition.)

I could go on really, there's too much that's not right with this game. It should be a bigger game with a lot more polish and content. Right now it just feels unambitious and generic. I've already finished the singleplayer aspect and since I'm not really interested in the multiplayer I'm very tempted to leave it alone for a long time.

My grade for this game is 6.8

PS I also don't like the way the game is already setting up its sequel. Apparently it's a trend these days for movies and games to not have a proper ending so that people would have to fork out some more money to see how the story ends.
   Note to producers: You only end in a cliffhanger if your game is so long and epic that you can't put the whole story in. But when I get three short campaigns that take place on the same 7 maps a cliffhanger tells me laziness and greediness. Make a proper game first and then consider a sequel.

Puks

Puks

First post and I already love you. Haven't played full yet, but those are my thoughts exactly.

visagepoissons

visagepoissons

Quote from: X-SOLDIER on Feb 18, 2010, 10:42:18 PM
Harvest: I wish that there was one additional Harvest animation, like a unique one for if you pounce/injure them before harvesting, rather than stealth, or even pushing them on their side.
I remember seeing one other one. And once it was from the other side. I've also seen the facehugger crawl through walls and over thin air before . XD

X-SOLDIER

X-SOLDIER

Quote from: visagepoissons on Feb 18, 2010, 11:45:53 PM
Quote from: X-SOLDIER on Feb 18, 2010, 10:42:18 PM
• Harvest: I wish that there was one additional Harvest animation, like a unique one for if you pounce/injure them before harvesting, rather than stealth, or even pushing them on their side.
I remember seeing one other one. And once it was from the other side. I've also seen the facehugger crawl through walls and over thin air before . XD

I only saw the "lay them on their back" or the longer "lay them on their stomach" animations. Also - the facehugger in thin air's kinda funny.

X 8)

redxavier

redxavier

Played two Marine missions and I have to say how much I detest how beefed up the aliens are on Hard mode. I hope their ridiculous ability to stand up to about 30 pulse rifle rounds each before going down is just Rebellion's old school approach to harder difficulty levels, otherwise they've seriously gimped the pulse rifle. The pistol is pretty useless and taking down one alien will require a reload - but you kind of expect that and it's got unlimited ammo.

And of course, the game's taken away your ability to aim down the sights so good luck shooting their heads, which are twisting and turning in all manner of directions, never mind the fact that they're running all over the place as well and can pounce on you.

Also, there's little point having an alien stun me. I'm not going to recover before it strikes again, so just kill me already and stop rubbing it in my face that I can't do anything.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed