Is Weyland Corporation Portrayed as Evil?

Started by Xenomorphine, Aug 18, 2015, 07:54:27 PM

Author
Is Weyland Corporation Portrayed as Evil? (Read 4,931 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 19, 2015, 01:30:36 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 19, 2015, 01:17:09 PMGranted, Ripley was in the same position in Alien and her actions while certainly cold were not necessarily evil.

Exactly. So why does the exact same scenario automatically make Vickers evil?

Vickers killed a man, Ripley didn't.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 19, 2015, 01:45:24 PMVickers killed a man, Ripley didn't.

Guess you totally missed the bit where Vickers was literally begging and pleading with Holloway to stop, and how Holloway kept advancing and telling her to "do it", and how Vickers didn't fire until Holloway deliberately crossed the threshold and gave her no choice.

Plus, Ripley had an airlock stopping the nasty from getting on board. Vickers didn't.

Seriously, Holloway clearly forced her to kill him. She's hardly a malevolent murdering psychopath. I honestly don't know how you could read that from the scene.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 19, 2015, 01:55:15 PM
Plus, Ripley had an airlock stopping the nasty from getting on board. Vickers didn't.

But Ripley didn't torch Kane after Ash let him in.

Which also begs the question, why did Vickers open the airlock and pick up an incinerator unit when she could just have refused to open the airlock in the first place?

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Vickers was ruthless and pragmatic (I always got the sense that her situation was meant to have been a 'what if' of Ripley having stood her ground and refusing to let Kane in). Not evil. Weyland, however, is shown to be egomaniacal and the type to want everything under his total control. He isn't the common sense type of Weyland who was merely understandably ambitious, as shown in the first of the AVP films. The company is more likely to be an extension of 'Prometheus'-flavoured Weyland's will.

And he's the guy who told David 8 to infect Holloway for shits and giggles - that was what placed him firmly in the 'evil' camp. There wasn't anything realistic which could have been gained from that. David 8 would have been much more likely to have yielded useful results by just continuing to test the stuff in the laboratory. No reason a small blood sample of Weyland's own human tissue/blood couldn't have been used on it.

The kind of Weyland we got in the first AVP film was more of a relateable figure and less of an 'evil Capitalist' stereotype, in the same way as Sigourney Weaver's character in 'Chappie' was. The latter gives me some hope that the upcoming film might go down such a road, which is infinitely preferable.

Alien³

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 19, 2015, 01:45:24 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 19, 2015, 01:30:36 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 19, 2015, 01:17:09 PMGranted, Ripley was in the same position in Alien and her actions while certainly cold were not necessarily evil.

Exactly. So why does the exact same scenario automatically make Vickers evil?

Vickers killed a man, Ripley didn't.

If Ash wasn't there to break the line of command Ripley would have kept them in the airlock. Thus Kane = dead.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 19, 2015, 02:00:57 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 19, 2015, 01:55:15 PM

But Ripley didn't torch Kane after Ash let him in.

As soon as Dallas was back on board he's in command. I'm not saying she would have torched Kane, at that time Ripley had no idea what was going to happen. For Vickers she's in command of the mission and ordered everyone on the ship. She only holds the flamethrower to keep Holloway at bay until everyone is back onboard (as she's tells them to) but Holloway keeps advancing and says "do it". So she torches him.

Vickers is not evil.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Yeah, AvP Weyland is a far better character than Prometheus Weyland.

Alien³

This speech disagrees.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The speech that was not even in the film, you mean?

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Omegamorph on Aug 19, 2015, 05:18:32 PM
Yeah, AvP Weyland is a far better character than Prometheus Weyland.

I agree with this.. Omegamorph, thank you for making me smile.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Alien³ on Aug 19, 2015, 05:45:56 PM
This speech disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQpGwnN3dfc

I absolutely loved this promo. It was a shame we didn't see more of this Weyland in Prometheus.

Perfect-Organism

Hopefully this promo makes it into an edit of the film someday...along with some of the other ones...

Alien³

I own the Agent 9 fan edit on DVD which has the movie open with this, replacing the Engineer drinking on the waterfall.

NickisSmart

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 19, 2015, 07:18:53 PM
Quote from: Alien³ on Aug 19, 2015, 05:45:56 PM
This speech disagrees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQpGwnN3dfc

I absolutely loved this promo. It was a shame we didn't see more of this Weyland in Prometheus.

I did, as well. Especially the extended version of it.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Alien³ on Aug 19, 2015, 08:01:53 PM
I own the Agent 9 fan edit on DVD which has the movie open with this, replacing the Engineer drinking on the waterfall.

I would be very curious to see that someday.  Is the policy of this website such that I can't request hints on where to find it?  Anyone?

Alien³

I emailed the dude and he sent me a DVD copy.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed