The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 239,483 times)

Russ840

I am really struggling with this book. I am around 35% through but can't get gripped.

I had the same issue with sea of sorrows. It's the only other book of the recent release I have read. I dragged myself through that.

I recently bought a copy of Prey/hunters planet omnibus. I read the first 30 pages and that gripped me instantly. I put it down to get through incursion first but I am failing.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 18, 2015, 08:30:26 AM
I recently bought a copy of Prey/hunters planet omnibus. I read the first 30 pages and that gripped me instantly. I put it down to get through incursion first but I am failing.

You should never start another book halfway through another!  :o You'll either love or hate this book when you start getting more into the Founders/Rage.

I had the same issue with sea of sorrows. It's the only other book of the recent release I have read. I dragged myself through that.

Have you read any of the old ones? I found Sea of Sorrows to be most like the old Bantam novels.

Russ840

Russ840

Have you read any of the old ones? I found Sea of Sorrows to be most like the old Bantam novels.

I have read female war. I found that to be high superior to the comic. I did read that around 15 yeas ago so no idea if I would enjoy it now.

I will finish with incursion. And i will read the next two. I'll read anything really that contains aliens and predators really lol. 

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 18, 2015, 08:46:36 AM
I have read female war. I found that to be high superior to the comic. I did read that around 15 yeas ago so no idea if I would enjoy it now.

Was never a huge fan of the comic. I read the novels again every now and again. There's some great adaptations in there.

Russ840

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 08:53:32 AM
Quote from: Russ840 on Nov 18, 2015, 08:46:36 AM

Was never a huge fan of the comic. I read the novels again every now and again. There's some great adaptations in there.

I may pick up one of the new re-releases that are on the way.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2015, 06:12:05 PMPM me your address. I've got a spare copy.

Well if I'd known it was case of just sounding forlorn about the price...!

So, that Weyland-Yutani Report... Little bit pricey... :P

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 18, 2015, 02:36:31 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2015, 06:12:05 PMPM me your address. I've got a spare copy.

That I don't have a spare copy of.  :P

I've got some spares of the other DH Press ones though if you need any. Just shout up what titles you need.

HuDaFuK

Well... All of them, actually ;D

Don't worry though, I'd feel bad freeloading them from you. It's actually just South China Sea I'm worried about getting; the rest all seem widely available online, but as Guan says that last one is extortionate for some reason.

happypred

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Nov 17, 2015, 03:05:33 PM
How far are you into the novel, happypred? I want to hear your opinion on the Predator sections. What do you think of the named Yautja so far?

I loved the chapters with Hashori.

Regarding female Yautja and Predator technology.

Spoiler
Lebbon's Yautja can actually fit perfectly with Jeff Vandemeer's Predators. I haven't read South China Sea, but I checked out the "Ask Jeff" thread in the Archives of this forum, he seems like a real nice fellow. I liked reading the ideas he had and when he was discussing female Yautja, he imagined them as not being that different from the males.

Lebbon's Yautja are the same, in fact, Lilliya thinks Hashori is female, but she questions this a few times.

Also, Jeff imagined his Predators made technology by using slaves, similar to the Hish-qu-Ten.

In a way, Jeff Vandemeer's, John Shirley's and Tim Lebbon's Predators could very easily fit into one universe under different clans, with the Hish tampering with genetic engineering to explain their gender changing because they are all so similar.

Personally, I feel like Fox is a bit torn on how to portray female Predators. I remember seeing concept artwork for "Predators" showing a female with breasts, then I see some female Predator units for the board game also with breasts, and then let's not forget Perry's female Yautja.

And on the other side of the coin, we've got Jeff's, John's and Tim's female Predator ideas.

And technology wise, Tim's Yautja seem to create their own things rather than using slaves as the Hish or as Jeff says his ones do..
[close]

I'm at the part where Johnny and Co. are slaughtering 9ft tall Yautja left and right

The Alien Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Nov 18, 2015, 02:36:31 PM

LOL! This made my day!  :laugh:

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Nov 18, 2015, 02:57:23 PM
I'm at the part where Johnny and Co. are slaughtering 9ft tall Yautja left and right

Nine feet tall Predators? Aren't most Predators around the 7-8 foot range? I mean it's not out of the question for them to be bigger but... 9 feet.. DAMN! Either those Predators have been eating their Wheaties (BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS!) or they're the Rodriguez Predators.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Nov 18, 2015, 06:49:03 PMNine feet tall Predators? Aren't most Predators around the 7-8 foot range?

Pretty sure Scarface and co. in Concrete Jungle must have been pushing 9' tall.

The Alien Predator

Yeah, these guys are pretty big, some where 8 feet tall while others 9 feet tall.

The two corpses brought to Dr. Isa Palant were laid on the table, they went from one end of the table to the other due to how big they were. The table must've been like 9 feet long or so.

Regarding them being the Rodriguez Predators. I doubt it, I think most of the ones portrayed are mainstream Lebbon's Yautja.

However, one thing MIGHT hint to "some" of them being similar to the Super Predators, key word is "might" because they are said
Spoiler
to take captives when attacking large population centres, but no one knows why. I told my friend this and he said "maybe to put them on those planets of theirs to hunt."
[close]

Xenomrph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 18, 2015, 08:38:53 AM
You should never start another book halfway through another!  :o
I do this all the time. All the time. I must have like 4-5 books right now that I'm partway through, and I hop back and forth between them as the mood strikes. Off the top of my head:
- Alien: Out of the Shadows
- Dead Space: Catalyst
- Star Wars: X-wing: Rogue Squadron (re-read)
- Red Sonja: Eye of Ibriku
- The Martian

And then there's the comic book trade paperbacks I'm in the middle of...

Xenomorphine

OK, just trudged through 'Sea Of Sorrows', at long last... I got the impression that 'plasma warheads' are probably just traditional missiles with plasma encased in place of a traditional exposive charge, because they're described as being dropped over a target.

Makes a lot more sense now.

Curious about why just plasma, on its own, would be regarded as particularly devastating, mind you. It's simply hot gas. Guess the authors just figured it sounded sexy!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed