Recent posts

They don't sound like anything, because they're in space.

But if they weren't...
Alien Films / Re: Alien3 Legacy Cut
Last post by SiL - Today at 06:22:38 AM
For dialogue I'm going more by feel, so it's rarely a matter of frame-by-frame precision. Yes, I'm trying to avoid blinking and facial twitches and lip movements that could draw attention to the cut, but that doesn't always require a great deal of precision.

My approach to editing is that there are many ways to work the material, and while I bring my creativity and sensibilities to the table and do what I feel works best, I don't often watch something back and think "This  is the only passive way this could've been cut and anyone who disagrees is wrong".

Unless it's a scene where the material was junk and it's only by the grace of my editing that it's comprehensible at all, but mercifully those situations are rare.
Alien: Romulus / Re: Fede Alvarez working on ne...
Last post by bobcunk - Today at 06:15:40 AM
Quote from: PortugueseXeno on Dec 31, 2023, 07:35:23 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 31, 2023, 06:47:17 PMHumans created David, david creates Alien. It means the species is not only artificial

I like Promtheus and Covenant (and i agree with the criticisms of those movies) as standalones, and i truly think that there are some interesting ideas there, but as far as how they are connected to the original Alien (1979) movie, they left a lot to be desired.

But part of me thinks that Ridley scott wanted to tell his own original story about cycles of creation, but then had the studio force him to connect it to Alien in order to get more seats on the theater.

Also, personally, i always saw the Xeno as artficial, simply not a byproduct of humanity and its androids, but as something made by the Space Jockeys, which can also represent the theme of cosmic horror.

Perhaps there was a proto-Xeno species that existed and became exctinct, but then the Space Jockeys tried to recreate them as their own bioweapon for their own "alien motivations".

Maybe they worshipped these proto-xenos.

For me, the Xenos being an abomination that shouldn't exist is far more terrifying than them being something natural, not only that, but if they are natural, then it's a hell of a coincidence that their methods of reproduction (facehugger) easily adapt to human anatomy.

Their biomechanical nature also seemed to perfect and "fabricated", like their Juggernaut/derelict ships, instead of it simply being natural.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Dec 31, 2023, 07:31:32 PMI think it's more that he just likes Fede's idea. Ridley isn't as hands on with the story, just more producing.

Gotcha.

I didn't know about that.

But still, it's fun to speculate, especially because Covenant was a box office bomb and kind of sent the franchise into cryo again, so Romulus being the movie to wake it up again is certainly a promising outlook.

I think the original xenomorph would look like the neomorph or deacon and then the Space Jockies altered them using the black goo or something.
Alien Films / Re: Alien3 Legacy Cut
Last post by TC - Today at 06:04:41 AM
Quote from: SiL on Today at 05:20:01 AMAs an editor, if I realised the last frame of every other shot had an odd issue I wouldn't be precious about them getting cut.

Outside of the tedium of actually doing it, at least.

I gave up editing a long time ago.

In fact, there was a time pre-90s when editing tape-based composite PAL, that the technology wouldn't guarantee single-frame precision for every cut because of the dreaded odd/even PAL-sequence requirement.

Basically, you had a 1-in-4 chance of your out-point and in-point being completely PAL compliant. If you were willing to allow a 180 degree-phase error (which meant a very slight picture jump horizontally) then you had a 1-in-2 chance of achieving the in- and out-points as desired. It was a nightmare for anyone like me who came from a film background and was used to cutting to exact frames.

Obviously, digital non-linear editing in the 90s and 2000s turned that around completely.

However, it's true that frame precision is not really an issue if the material is of a certain type: e.g. lots of wide shots cut together montage-style (maybe the film is a tourism promo featuring mainly picturesque landscapes - there was a time when I worked on lots of those).

But for up-tempo action and close-up dialogue scenes you really are trying to squeeze those cuts in at exact frames: either between or on camera/actor movements, and in close-up dialogue scenes you really have to watch out for eye-blinks and lip movements. Do you not find this the case?

TC
Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Today at 05:45:43 AMOK, I'm gonna Comment on the black hole noise. Holy shit that was terrifying. They actually sound like that

Yup👀

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Today at 05:34:41 AM
Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Today at 02:46:51 AMHow do you guys feel if anything that It's related To the xenomorph, Came from a black hole.

The biomechanoids realm beyond the event horizon? :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWBkZ3bMSV0
Maybe, maybe they live within the void or the void itself is related to the xenomorph.

OK, I'm gonna Comment on the black hole noise. Holy shit that was terrifying. They actually sound like that
Recreational Area / Re: Last TV Show You Watched
Last post by KiramidHead - Today at 05:44:13 AM
Luckily my Return blu-rays are in good shape, unlike my Entire Mystery set of the original where on this viewing, multiple discs had glitches that made the third episode on them not work and I had to switch to Paramount+ for those ones specifically. Even more annoyingly the FWWM disc was also affected.  :'(
Recreational Area / Re: Last TV Show You Watched
Last post by Kradan - Today at 05:39:43 AM
Hearing RLM guys talking about The Return was the reason I decided to check out TP in the first place
General Discussion / Re: All Elon Musk
Last post by Local Trouble - Today at 05:35:14 AM
What does Rita Panahi say about all this?
Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Today at 02:46:51 AMHow do you guys feel if anything that It's related To the xenomorph, Came from a black hole.

The biomechanoids realm beyond the event horizon? :o

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed