Official Matrix Thread

Started by Ratchetcomand, May 17, 2008, 10:02:22 PM

Author
Official Matrix Thread (Read 5,308 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Also, man, based on this I guess Warner Bros is really gonna try to pump out some George Miller-less Mad Max movie at some point in the future, huh? 🙃

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 03, 2024, 05:06:00 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 03, 2024, 05:02:01 PMThe Matrix > The Animatrix > The Sequels > ...Resurrections

https://media.tenor.com/lyWDQHFJetAAAAAM/agent-smith.gif

Yes. The opening scene of The Second Renaissance Part II > Literally every other Matrix thing.

Kradan

Kradan

Sequels are the pinnacle of the franchise and I'll die on that hill

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Apr 03, 2024, 05:02:01 PMThe Matrix > The Animatrix > The Sequels > ...Resurrections

We don't agree on everything but we agree on this. 

The Matrix had its run for me in 99 when it came out and I thought it was pretty amazing.  I hadn't quite seen anything like it.  I wasn't as unfamiliar with the stunt fighting as most american audiences were, and had seen many kung fu action flicks by that time, but tying them all together with a philosophical sci fi story was pretty sweet. 

I think overall the series has lost a little bit of luster, but I still enjoy it.  I wasn't too keen on Resurrections, and Revolutions has fallen hard to just barely watchable, but I still love the first film, animatrix, and even Reloaded.  I personally think Reloaded is a great bridging movie from a opening to a closing film, but it just bridges to a mostly mediocre finale. 

Huntsman

Huntsman

I thought the series was absolutely over after the box office disaster of Resurrections. I liked the movie and thought the story was fine, despite the drop in action quality. So I'm thrilled to hear a new movie is coming, especially if it means more franchise media comes from it, like games and more Animatrix. I also hoped for that after Resurrections.

I'm also at the point of being okay if the franchise continues without Keanu and Carrie-Anne, if that's what happens. There are many great stories that have been told, and can be told, without them. But at the same time I'm not saying no if they're in the script.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I've fallen off the Matrix wagon years ago. Was there any media released at all (games or comics) during the last 15 years? Resurrections don't count.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Resurrections. :)

Stitch

Stitch

If nothing else, the fact that it has the creative mind behind Daredevil is a good sign. That was a solid series.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Matrix is good in anime form ;D

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Kradan on Apr 04, 2024, 06:05:59 AMSequels are the pinnacle of the franchise and I'll die on that hill

Orgasm cake peak kino

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Stitch on Apr 04, 2024, 12:39:32 PMIf nothing else, the fact that it has the creative mind behind Daredevil is a good sign. That was a solid series.

Wasn't he only on Daredevil for like, one or two episodes before getting replaced? I know that show had a pretty wild turnover with its showrunners. I only saw the first season, anyways. Never bothered coming back for more after that. I thought The Cabin in the Woods was a fun riff on horror tropes when the movie came out (haven't watched it in ages though, and the Whedon stink of it all might be a bit too much for me now which is why I've been a bit reluctant to revisit), I do like The Martian, I haven't seen Bad Times at the El Royale (just didn't think it looked very good).

Goddard strikes me as someone who is probably competent enough, but without anything really of note to say. But even beyond that, The Matrix as a series is just... not something I'm interested in at all without at least one Wachowski steering the ship. I see Lana is technically a producer on this, but there isn't even so much as a quote from her in the article speaking in support of the film and that whole thing feels to me more like it's probably just a contractual obligation stemming as part of her deal with WB from when she signed on to do Resurrections. On top of that, the series already reached its climax with a definitive end to the core story at the end of the trilogy, and then Resurrections provided an incredibly heartfelt, personal coda/epilogue for its characters (while also lashing out with pretty scathing commentary on the way the current Hollywood system works, commentary that just becomes all the more valuable in light of this new announcement). A non-Wachowski movie following up on this series that has already ended twice now just feels as creatively bankrupt as you can get, in my opinion.

All I'm really expecting from this is "The Matrix: The Force Awakens."

skhellter

skhellter

The lack of a quote from lana and the last movie say it all.

But if thats not enough go to lily's twiter and check her likes.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't care if the Matrix has Wachowski's or not in it, as long as the movie is good.  That same kinda logic is what f**ked up the Alien series and their inability to move past kissing Scott's brown eye decade after decade. 

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Alien has always been a soup of intermingled creatives that brought it to life, right from the very first film. Ridley is one of the key voices – and I happen to be very into his second stab at things with the prequels, especially Covenant – but also, it's a franchise that has just as many currently released films from other filmmakers as it does from him. From 1986 on, new personalities taking unique stabs at the series has been part of its core identity, and part of its major appeal.

The Matrix and its sequels and offshoots have always been intrinsically tied to the Wachowskis' specific vision, though. To separate one from the other is to remove what really makes it what it really is. Like Mad Max sans Miller, or Avatar sans Cameron, or Star Wars sans Lucas; yeah, there are some good (some great, even) post-Lucas Star Wars entries, but even the better ones don't feel like they're really operating on that specific wavelength that had always defined what Star Wars is – for better or for worse, depending on your own perspective on the material.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Alien WAS a soup of different directors and writers.  Now it is Scott this, Scott that.  He powered over another directors attempt at a direct sequel that would've continued the mishmash of directors in the series just because. 

He has too much control over the series that should've stopped being "his" after the first movie but somehow, after noping out until 2012, it still is. 

There is a balancing act between protecting your franchise under the OG creators and respecting what they've done, and then handing an absent minded psycho with no regard for the franchise continual creative control over it, any other ideas be damned, and then accepting every hairbrained idea that comes from him as a good one. 

It could be worse.  It could be better.  You won't know until you give the other guys a shot. 

I personally don't feel that ANY Star Wars are better than the OG trilogy.  The prequels, all Lucas were too clunky, poorly paced, and sometimes (I'm guessing because of the clunky dialogue) poorly acted.  The sequels not lucas, were never following one narrative path, but also leaned onto Rey being some kind of I can do everything perfect Mary Sue character that killed any kind of tension.  Don't worry guys, Rey will get us out of this, she's simply better at everything than anybody else. 

Rogue 1 felt more like TESB than anything (that I've seen, haven't watched all the disney stuff) has before or since. 

Because we are in the age of multiverses, reboots, etc a poor film can just be axed anyways if they do suck.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed