Prometheus 2 Holding Up Alien 5

Started by Darkness, Aug 17, 2015, 06:26:52 PM

Author
Prometheus 2 Holding Up Alien 5 (Read 46,452 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Gazz on Aug 17, 2015, 07:32:07 PM
Quote from: marrerom on Aug 17, 2015, 07:05:22 PM
Hopefully this delay will give Blomkamp ample time to receive feedback and criticism and use that to solidify the script.

Instantly my first thought. This is good news. Blomkamp's 2 year turnover did him no favours with Chappie. Maybe a longer preproduction period will help him refine the script and bring on whoever he needs.

Exactly my first thought too. Whilst we don't know much, what we know of Blomkamp's inspirations for Alien 5 and what we've seen of his previous films leaves me with complete confidence that Alien3.2 is going to be a gorgeous looking film but know he has this time to really work on the project gives me the confidence that Blomkamp will be able to work on his weak points (script) and give us a nice and refined piece.

Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Aug 17, 2015, 10:37:52 PM
I'm glad Fox isn't trying to hold Prometheus 2 back in favour of Alien 5 (the more obvious earner). I feel like Prometheus needs a sequel way more than Alien does...

As long as it helps Prometheus 2 come out good. As long as it helps both films come out good. I'm not too fussed on the release order.

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Aug 17, 2015, 10:45:22 PM
When I read this update.. I got the image of darkened, cloudy skies. I do not know why but this doesn't strike me as good.

The dark skies are your own negative connotations. This doesn't equate to a bad thing. At all.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Prometheus 2 Holding Up Alien 5

Ridley!

System Apollo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 18, 2015, 07:20:19 AM
Whilst we don't know much, what we know of Blomkamp's inspirations for Alien 5 and what we've seen of his previous films leaves me with complete confidence that Alien3.2 is going to be a gorgeous looking film but know he has this time to really work on the project gives me the confidence that Blomkamp will be able to work on his weak points (script) and give us a nice and refined piece.
Speculation in Spoiler

Spoiler
From what I see through NBK's work so far is that there is a political aspect both behind the conflicts and the themes of his films. I'm not genuinely aware of most films in his discography but from what I know of three of his most recognized films involve some form of controversy behind them. District 9 having to do with refugees, Elysium involving classicism and Chappie for it's surreal outlook on children and crime. It seems that he attempts to take his films in some sort of depth. The direction of either ignoring or omitting Alien 3 might be implying that he has some specific plans to broaden the Alien universe by addressing Ripley's conflict with Weyland Yutani moreover than the xenomorph itself.

What leads me to this assumption? Well, if Alien 3 did not happen I would guess that the Sulaco safely made it's way back to it's destination. If this is the case; most likely that Ripley, Newt and Hicks will take some kind of legal action towards the company and this time around there is a large amount of evidence behind the existence of the xenomorphs due to the value of both Bishop's report and the testimony of a marine whom has scars from the confrontations on LV426. The results that come out of this is still unknown to me seeing as I don't want to speculate too far in to it.

I personally believe that Weyland Yutani might have a bigger role in this film because of the fuel it receives from NBK's motives of creating more depth behind his plots. Now this is simply just theory based on very little information so there is not much beyond that. Please do not interpret as fact.
[close]

wmmvrrvrrmm

Well, it sounds as if both of the movies are floating further and further away into the future

darkvegett0

Sorry maybe I should have chosen better way to express it. But Prometheus is the equivalent of  Gearbox 's A:CM  and I can't imagine how many alien's fans will go out and see P2

Corporal Hicks

They need to convince us it will be worth our time.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 18, 2015, 11:27:42 AMThey need to convince us it will be worth our time.

The big issue with the first was the trailers made you think exactly that... and then you saw the movie itself.

Corporal Hicks

They'll have a harder go of it this time around though. I imagine many people will wait for reviews first. It doesn't have the good will behind it that Alien does.

NickisSmart

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 18, 2015, 12:03:03 AM
I'm pleased that 'Prometheus 2' is being prioritised.  The first movie wasn't terrible.  It wasn't great but it's merits lie in embracing a different angle within the established Universe and they were very welcome.  Mind you, characters were the weakest part of the film.  I'm hoping that characters are stronger in the sequel. 

I'm so confused about 'ALIEN 5'.  None of what Blomkamp has proposed makes any sense.  Especially as it won't be released for a few years now.   The script will change - it's just a matter of how much change at this point.  I'm sure it's going to need all the time it can get in order to be a decent movie. 

I just don't wanna wait years for the cinematic equivalent of 'A:CM'.  So much more can be done within this Universe other than rehash already deceased characters.   I'm not looking forward to that being the big drawcard.

-Windebieste.

I concur. : )

T Dog

T Dog

The biggest issue with Prometheus for me was how much of a backwards step the Engineers were in comparison to the original vision seen in Alien.
THe film had a hundred and one other issues but to destroy such a great design was heart breaking to me.

Corporal Hicks

The concept didn't fuss me but the complete departure from Giger's aesthetic was criminal.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 18, 2015, 12:16:38 PM
The concept didn't fuss me but the complete departure from Giger's aesthetic was criminal.

Oh I totally agree, the concept was fine, them being the seeders of life is very interesting, the execution and human characters were pretty terrible though. And yes, the departure from Giger was indeed criminal......everyone tried to tell Ridley......he wasn't listening.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 18, 2015, 10:05:44 AM
I personally believe that Weyland Yutani might have a bigger role in this film because of the fuel it receives from NBK's motives of creating more depth behind his plots. Now this is simply just theory based on very little information so there is not much beyond that. Please do not interpret as fact.

Quite likely. There was an Alien 5 concept sketch tagged as "Weyland Yutani Headquarters" after all.

The "big bad company" is also a recurring motif in all three of Blomkamp's films. In District 9 we had the MNU, in Elysium it was Armadyne and in Chappie it was Tetravaal. All three of those companies were involved in weapons manufacturing and research and they all had an individual or individuals with questionable morals just like Weyland Yutani.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 18, 2015, 12:31:04 PM

Oh I totally agree, the concept was fine, them being the seeders of life is very interesting, the execution and human characters were pretty terrible though. And yes, the departure from Giger was indeed criminal......everyone tried to tell Ridley......he wasn't listening.

I think there is an untold behind-the-scenes story there. On the one hand, we have Scott. From what I can tell, he has a long working relationship with Arthur Max, and it seems Scott gave Max carte blanche for the art and style of the movie. Scott has also said he wanted to move away from the grunge aesthetic and away from Giger's work, too. On the other hand, I think by that point, the Giger who created the Alien and the Space Jockey in the first place had left the building. I don't think Giger was ever the type to be "one of the guys" and just work with other artists on a project. He's always been a free spirit and a tour de force - It's his strength. The Alien is the way it is because Giger made it so. Space Jockey, same thing. Of course, he had help with all that; but he was in the driver's seat. He touched everything with his own hands, painted everything with his own brush. What he did was remarkable.

I'm not 100% on the timeline, but by the time Prometheus came along, he may have already had his stroke. And he was already not painting for a long time - IIRC, he stopped actively doing that around 1991..I don't think his drawings were as strong as his paintings. His paintings range from so-so to marvelous; but from what I've seen, his drawing style and technique are serviceable but not great. He did do some sculpture after that, but I suspect he was in no condition to be an active participant in the production of Prometheus. I also doubt he would have wanted to do it with Arthur Max telling him what to do. But unless the story comes out, I doubt we'll ever know what really happened.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Aug 18, 2015, 02:47:42 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Aug 18, 2015, 12:31:04 PM

I think there is an untold behind-the-scenes story there. On the one hand, we have Scott. From what I can tell, he has a long working relationship with Arthur Max, and it seems Scott gave Max carte blanche for the art and style of the movie. Scott has also said he wanted to move away from the grunge aesthetic and away from Giger's work, too. On the other hand, I think by that point, the Giger who created the Alien and the Space Jockey in the first place had left the building. I don't think Giger was ever the type to be "one of the guys" and just work with other artists on a project. He's always been a free spirit and a tour de force - It's his strength. The Alien is the way it is because Giger made it so. Space Jockey, same thing. Of course, he had help with all that; but he was in the driver's seat. He touched everything with his own hands, painted everything with his own brush. What he did was remarkable.

Well what I'm referring to is a couple of occasions in the Prometheus making of doc where the artists say "we told Ridley not to change the Space Jockey design......."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed