Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 150,624 times)

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: SM on Feb 29, 2012, 03:00:49 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 29, 2012, 02:48:25 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 29, 2012, 02:41:44 PM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Feb 29, 2012, 02:26:29 PM
So... Guy Pearce, an Englishman, has a rubbish English accent?

Interesting....

Someone who who has lived in Australia since the age of three isn't going to have any natural English accent.

Ah, just saw that on the Wikipedia page.

But that aside, the criticisms are ridiculous. Like others have said, he (Peter Weyland) was born in Mumbai, and probably spends a lot of time in America. He's not going to have a 'true' English accent, whatever the hell that is.

And the hammy acting worked in this context, I thought. Why? Because he's speaking to a stadium full of people. You exaggerate all of your motions, your inflections, everything, when you speak on a stage to a large group, and this looked like a pretty goddamn large group.

Yep.

The performance was perfect for what it is.  If Pearce was in the whole film and acted lke this all the time, then criticisms might be valid - but as it stands, they're not.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but Guy Pearce was invoking John Hurt that whole time. Maybe it was that time he spent with him during the filming of The Proposition. Nice touch.

Loved the speech. Great way to set a character up and tell a lot about his personality and drive in a little over a minute. Most films fumble for an hour before a character becomes clear (if ever.) Great, classy viral marketing.

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

To those who are complaining about Pearce's accent... are any of you even British?  I am and the accent seemed fine to me.  If you want to hear a truly dire attempt at an English accent, then go and watch any number of American films (e.g. Dick Van Dyke in 'Mary Poppins') or sitcoms (e.g. Daphne and her brothers' "Manchester" accents in 'Frasier').

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Watched it a few more times just to lend an ear to the scrutiny, and to wet myself again.

I've never seen a TED talk, but from the speech in the video, it's obvious that it would be connected to a larger presentation of some kind, maybe the opening for a video or a longer discussion about a more specific topic.

His acting was a little hammy at parts, but I don't understand how people can critique acting in such a way when there are lots people that act this way in real life.  I've met CEO's and businessmen, and some of them have a sort of movie bravado about them, a swagger and arrogance that almost seems cheesy, but that's how they actually act.

You get used to being confident.  Lots of people in business are like this.  Pearce is acting like an orator, and I see a nice blend between college professor and silver-tongued executive.  I think that people just don't like the character he portrayed, which is fine, but don't try and attack his acting over a matter of personal taste.

The direction and camera work are a little jumpy at times, but to me this just seems to come from little Scott being new at directing.

After the shock has worn off, I'm still in love with it all.  So very bloody excited for this film and the effort they take to release things like this...  Why, back in my day there was no viral marketing!  You either caught a trailer, bought Fangoria, or you were SOL until the film was released.  It really is cool that we have things like this today.

Vulhala

Vulhala

I haven't posted yet out of shock. Actually, I still can't.

DaveT937

DaveT937

Anyone else clocked the 'traitor' shout after he announces his name at around 2.49?

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Pearce's performance is as hammy as John Boehner's performance in Congress. These politicians and corporate CEOs are nearly note perfect next to Pearce's Peter Weyland . This shouldn't be an issue. Weyland measures up perfectly next to his real world counterparts. He may even be a bit less arrogant.

T Dog

T Dog

Why is 2023 the year of our lord?

He says "we are 3 months into the year of our lord"? WHat does that mean?

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 29, 2012, 05:10:50 PM
Why is 2023 the year of our lord?

2023 AD, AD = Anno Domini, meaning in the year of our Lord.

Vulhala

Vulhala

It's just a saying. Every year is the 'year of our lord'. He's just playing it up.

Marr

Marr

For some reason this reminds me of Edward Fox in A Bridge Too Far. No idea why...

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Works well with the entire Prometheus god theme, I think.  :o

I see what he did there...

Vulhala

Vulhala

Anyone still not think this Alien related?

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

Quote from: howardvegas on Feb 29, 2012, 05:23:41 PM
For some reason this reminds me of Edward Fox in A Bridge Too Far. No idea why...

I've been saying Edward Fox since I first saw it too. His pronunciations when English, sound very much Eddie Fox styled, of course coated in John Hurt gravelly tones

Arcyarc

Arcyarc

The stage set from the viral vid reminded me very much of U2's 360° setup (if you remove or ignore "The Claw" part of it).

Circular stage, audience on all sides, and wrap-around video screens above the stage itself. All very familiar, I reckon. I might be wrong about what influenced the design of the stage/arena, but I'm not familiar with any other show using a setup like this? Please feel free to correct me if there's someone else using it...

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: tmjhur on Feb 29, 2012, 05:10:50 PMWhy is 2023 the year of our lord?

He's playing with the terms, implying the decade of the century (25 years, well, it's almost 25, 'cause it's 2023 year, when the speech goes) to be a allegorical comparison to year's decade (3 months).

Well, now that we are all get pretty convinced Peter Weyland is going to be the one who will open Pandora's box (attaining investment and sending ships on the risky journey), is there any chance that in the end he will turn out to be earnest scientist with pure good intentions for mankind and somebody else will be portrayed as antagonist in the film? Like all those pompous self-introducing is just here to make a red herring character of Weyland?  ;)

And I have a little request, if somebody here remebers the speech, will you look through my transcription (owner of Russian Prometheus-dedicated blog is up to re-present the video with subtitles, I'm sort of helping him out with this...)? Thanks in advance!  :)
EDIT: some needless stuff has been there, wiped it out lest turn this thread into something irrelevant to the topic ...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed