Survivor Multiplayer Trailer

Started by RidgeTop, Nov 20, 2012, 10:08:48 AM

Author
Survivor Multiplayer Trailer (Read 57,476 times)

Predaker

Predaker

Someone posted that drawing on the gearbox forums as their suggestion for what the spitter alien should look like.

Shmiggins

Shmiggins

Spoiler
[close]
[/quote]

It's like an inverted blow job lol

The Runner

The Runner

Quote from: Predaker on Nov 26, 2012, 09:59:41 PM
Someone posted that drawing on the gearbox forums as their suggestion for what the spitter alien should look like.

Lol link

[T)A]DarkDragon

Quote from: Predaker on Nov 26, 2012, 09:59:41 PM

besides the penis, its a rather good sketch.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

I don't know why some are expecting an explanation for these genetic messes... We didn't get one for the magically spawning facehuggers in the 2010 effort. They just appeared when required.

Whether this Alien type fits with what was represented in the films, I'd say no. It's simply not necessary. If they wanted that gameplay mechanic, just have the normal ones spray acide in a pressurised effect and spray you like they did to Drake if you get too close. Gives you an added incentive to stay away and, thus, generates authentic cinematic fear while playing through, too.

If they wanted new types, there are ways to have introduced animals to the equation, even if it's somehow working in livestock from a transport ship which was somehow passing by and got caught in the events (there are multiple different ways of doing that). All of this stuff just smacks of ripping off 'Left 4 Dead' and, as an unfortunate result, disempowering the 'normal' Aliens to pure cannon fodder.

Remember Ripley and Hicks and how they kept emphasising to the view how letting even one get past defences would result in total catastrophe? Mechanics like this obliterate the power of that sentiment, when a game should be backing it up.

Would also assist the developers, too, since they could use all the time spent on designing and refining new versions, on making just the two main types (adults and Queen) as incredible as 2012 allows.

Space Voyager

Space Voyager

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 29, 2012, 05:04:13 AMsnip

Well said, I couldn't agree more!

delsaber8

delsaber8

So hold on is the Alien that explodes the same one that spits acid?

SM

SM

No.

Clear demarcation in Alien union rules.

The Runner

The Runner

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 29, 2012, 05:04:13 AM
I don't know why some are expecting an explanation for these genetic messes... We didn't get one for the magically spawning facehuggers in the 2010 effort. They just appeared when required.

Whether this Alien type fits with what was represented in the films, I'd say no. It's simply not necessary. If they wanted that gameplay mechanic, just have the normal ones spray acide in a pressurised effect and spray you like they did to Drake if you get too close. Gives you an added incentive to stay away and, thus, generates authentic cinematic fear while playing through, too.

If they wanted new types, there are ways to have introduced animals to the equation, even if it's somehow working in livestock from a transport ship which was somehow passing by and got caught in the events (there are multiple different ways of doing that). All of this stuff just smacks of ripping off 'Left 4 Dead' and, as an unfortunate result, disempowering the 'normal' Aliens to pure cannon fodder.

Remember Ripley and Hicks and how they kept emphasising to the view how letting even one get past defences would result in total catastrophe? Mechanics like this obliterate the power of that sentiment, when a game should be backing it up.

Would also assist the developers, too, since they could use all the time spent on designing and refining new versions, on making just the two main types (adults and Queen) as incredible as 2012 allows.

What you said to the next to last paragraph goes past GBX's(and most peoples) heads about Aliens. All they see and care to remember is guns, Hudson's one liners, and thinking that aliens are weak dumb bugs(Of which Aliens, conveyed they aren't, but some people think otherwise)

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: The Runner on Nov 30, 2012, 09:19:54 PM
What you said to the next to last paragraph goes past GBX's(and most peoples) heads about Aliens. All they see and care to remember is guns, Hudson's one liners, and thinking that aliens are weak dumb bugs(Of which Aliens, conveyed they aren't, but some people think otherwise)

Which is why these enterprises will always disappoint someone who's looking for a cinematic 'experience' in line with the material it's based on. It can get to the point where you can wonder why they didn't just make up their own stuff and call it something else.

It's like the difference between the first two comics and virtually everything which came after them. The first two felt atmospheric with an undertone of horror. The rest tended to descend into Marvel-like territory.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 01, 2012, 10:35:44 AM

Which is why these enterprises will always disappoint someone who's looking for a cinematic 'experience' in line with the material it's based on. It can get to the point where you can wonder why they didn't just make up their own stuff and call it something else.

It's like the difference between the first two comics and virtually everything which came after them. The first two felt atmospheric with an undertone of horror. The rest tended to descend into Marvel-like territory.

I can see where you guys are coming from to a degree. It's similar to what has become of Zombies in the RE series. In the first and second game, a single zombie was a very serious threat. In the newer games they're basically push overs. However I feel that's just the nature of a repeated franchise. Eventually new ideas have to be implemented otherwise it starts to feel stale. Repeatedly fighting the same Xenos we saw in the film, for ten plus hours would just become uninteresting after a while.

No matter how threatening the normal Xenos appear, had ALIENS never introduced the Queen the tone of film wouldn't have felt as threatening. This is where Alien 3 sort of failed. It tried to mimic the first film, but by then everyone had seen as much as they could see of the normal alien and knew that if Ripley had access to some weaponry it would have been a shorter film. That's not to say that Alien 3 would have been more interesting if they introduced something like the Crusher or Spitter in ALIEN 3 because ALIEN 3's scenario was humdrum at that point. Alien Resurrection only further proves that point.

Right now its a bit difficult (for me at least) to judge how threatening the new Xenotypes will appear in the game. We've only seen short snippets of how they look and act with no context to the scenarios that they're introduce in.

As for the host DNA theory, I'm not oppose to them stretching that idea or ignoring it completely. I can understand taking some physical traits, such as size and body structure, but unless you count in AVP (which i don't) it seems like most of the Aliens iconic physical traits are only slightly influenced by the host's. A Xeno born from a bull probably wouldn't look or behave that much differently from a Xeno born from a tiger.

The Runner

The Runner

Quote from: newbeing on Dec 01, 2012, 07:52:13 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 01, 2012, 10:35:44 AM

I can see where you guys are coming from to a degree. It's similar to what has become of Zombies in the RE series. In the first and second game, a single zombie was a very serious threat. In the newer games they're basically push overs. However I feel that's just the nature of a repeated franchise. Eventually new ideas have to be implemented otherwise it starts to feel stale. Repeatedly fighting the same Xenos we saw in the film, for ten plus hours would just become uninteresting after a while.

No matter how threatening the normal Xenos appear, had ALIENS never introduced the Queen the tone of film wouldn't have felt as threatening. This is where Alien 3 sort of failed. It tried to mimic the first film, but by then everyone had seen as much as they could see of the normal alien and knew that if Ripley had access to some weaponry it would have been a shorter film. That's not to say that Alien 3 would have been more interesting if they introduced something like the Crusher or Spitter in ALIEN 3 because ALIEN 3's scenario was humdrum at that point. Alien Resurrection only further proves that point.

Right now its a bit difficult (for me at least) to judge how threatening the new Xenotypes will appear in the game. We've only seen short snippets of how they look and act with no context to the scenarios that they're introduce in.

As for the host DNA theory, I'm not oppose to them stretching that idea or ignoring it completely. I can understand taking some physical traits, such as size and body structure, but unless you count in AVP (which i don't) it seems like most of the Aliens iconic physical traits are only slightly influenced by the host's. A Xeno born from a bull probably wouldn't look or behave that much differently from a Xeno born from a tiger.
I much prefer my aliens having twisted exaggerated forms of their host's skelatal systems. Basically skeletal incarnations of their host but with xeno features.

What we could be seeing in A:CM could be 'war forms'?
All these fancy new sub-types are just specialized forms with certain tasks. The Solider Xenomorph and Lurker Xenomorph are an all around purpose killing machines, while the others are more specialized.

acrediblesource

Not that anyone here knows a thing about this game can say with confidence that their viewpoints are nothing more than an opinion. There's no evidence anywhere that says this game ACM would be less better or more better with these new creatures (mutations) added. We KNOW NOTHING about what their role is in the grand scheme of things in regard to balancing the intensity of this game.  We haven't seen the story, there are no reviews, so why all of a sudden you're coming up with negative review?
Oh  yes because this thread needs a troll.

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: acrediblesource on Dec 01, 2012, 11:12:14 PM
Not that anyone here knows a thing about this game can say with confidence that their viewpoints are nothing more than an opinion. There's no evidence anywhere that says this game ACM would be less better or more better with these new creatures (mutations) added. We KNOW NOTHING about what their role is in the grand scheme of things in regard to balancing the intensity of this game.  We haven't seen the story, there are no reviews, so why all of a sudden you're coming up with negative review?

People are complaining because Gearbox pretty much promised us the movie Aliens, whereas in reality it looks more like we're getting L4D2 with Kenner Aliens instead of zombies. They promised us a genuine "true to the movies - especially Aliens" experience; true to the formula (since according to them the movie Aliens has everything you need already to make an awesome FPS game)... ...now, for every new trailer it seems like A:CM is moving further and further away from its goal, as the game is looking more and more generic, watered down and derivative. Now, this is nothing new (i.e. game makers furcking up when making an Alien game), except for the case that A:CM is boasted as being the "true" sequel to Aliens, claiming itself to be a part of the same canon as the movies and not just a game. So I think it is quite ok for us Alien fans to put A:CM under great scrutiny.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Dec 02, 2012, 06:22:19 PM
Quote from: acrediblesource on Dec 01, 2012, 11:12:14 PM

People are complaining because Gearbox pretty much promised us the movie Aliens, whereas in reality it looks more like we're getting L4D2 with Kenner Aliens instead of zombies. They promised us a genuine "true to the movies - especially Aliens" experience; true to the formula (since according to them the movie Aliens has everything you need already to make an awesome FPS game)... ...now, for every new trailer it seems like A:CM is moving further and further away from its goal, as the game is looking more and more generic, watered down and derivative. Now, this is nothing new (i.e. game makers furcking up when making an Alien game), except for the case that A:CM is boasted as being the "true" sequel to Aliens, claiming itself to be a part of the same canon as the movies and not just a game. So I think it is quite ok for us Alien fans to put A:CM under great scrutiny.

Believe me, i want to understand where the hot headedness comes from but I don't. There is another board called the gearbox forums and in it states many of the things that are already confirmed to be in it. So asides from not being able to actually see this in gameplay footage, my assumption is that its going to be in there.
How can this be a L4D style game when there aren't any zombies and the enemies do entirely different  things. I've seen L4D in action, and honestly its apples and meatballs. I'm not expecting zombies and well we are getting aliens which to my knowledge ACM is just that.

To me, you haven't answered my question why everyone is hot headed here about it. To me its making this board terrible and the people hear hard to swallow.

It also feels like these hot heads are nothing more than anonymous developers from Rebellion who are bitter because their previous Aliens games are just being eclipsed by this new one. Just bitter folks. I can't stand it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed