Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 771,981 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Vermillion on Apr 29, 2020, 02:31:55 AM
I still think it works.
He brought it up from the Atmosphere Processor while waiting for Ripley to rescue Newt.
He wouldn't have had time to take it back to the Sulaco and then return to pick up Ripley.

And he obviously couldn't take it out of the dropship when they got back.

QuoteAlien 3...Was there and Alien on board. 

Yes.

That violates his prime directives that he told Ripley at the breakfast table.   
He allowed a human to be harmed and by not telling them, by his action to be harmed.
Bishop got that information from the flight recorder.

SM

SM

Haven't you got that 'Song that never ends' video handy?

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

I don't know why some people seem to want Bishop to be a badguy. Especially since the film makes it a point that not all androids are equal and Ripley was simply being defensive from her past experiences. To make Bishop secretly evil or have some ulterior motive is to say Deckard is a replicant. It's nonsensical.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Did he say Deckard is no replicant?

One thread to rule them all...

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 29, 2020, 04:12:25 AM
I don't know why some people seem to want Bishop to be a badguy. Especially since the film makes it a point that not all androids are equal and Ripley was simply being defensive from her past experiences. To make Bishop secretly evil or have some ulterior motive is to say Deckard is a replicant. It's nonsensical.

And prejudiced, considering there's no evidence for it other than the fact that he's an android.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: kwisatz on Apr 29, 2020, 04:23:37 AM

I just felt like making the comparison. It feels just as nonsensical to me. Though, Bishop being up to shady shenanigans is not as destructive as Deckard being a replicant, it still would diminish some of the story value.

Quote from: Kelgaard on Apr 29, 2020, 04:33:21 AM
And prejudiced, considering there's no evidence for it other than the fact that he's an android.

Exactly. It's the same reason I like David more in Prometheus than in Covenant. He's not Ash, but he's not Bishop, either. He's got elements of both in him, and yet he's very much his own character, and the constant prodding of the humans around him, at least I could understand his motivation for experimenting on Holloway and so on.

I just think it's important to always factor in creative intention and also the focus of the narrative, what is the story getting at in the subtext as well as the obvious. The subtext is Ripley is judging Bishop based on what he's made of, and not his character. The whole movie he does nothing but help and try to serve, and he stayed to save her life.

That's the real kicker with the Bishop conspiracy. He didn't need to stay if he got his mittens on an egg. He could just fli
y back to the Sulaco and return home.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 29, 2020, 06:47:57 AM
Quote from: kwisatz on Apr 29, 2020, 04:23:37 AM

I just felt like making the comparison. It feels just as nonsensical to me. Though, Bishop being up to shady shenanigans is not as destructive as Deckard being a replicant, it still would diminish some of the story value.

Oh no worries, just fooling around basically. But like you've said, those two 'problems' are not even in the same league. Even not taking into consideration the main difference - Deckards importance for Blade Runner vs Bishops importance for Aliens - the Deckarep theory is not exactly undefendable. Plus with Bishop you don't have the slight complication that the main creator of the source material is going through outrageous lenghts (as in even altering the source material) to cement his viewpoint as the final word on the matter.

Man now i can't lose the picture of Fincher elucidating 'Egg on Sulaco' for Lynch by resorting to a Bishop theory whilst their collective Dune/A3 evening...

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

About the only room remotely resembling what we see with the egg attached is the armory, but that's still stretching it

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd assume there's structural design repetition all over the ship, but since the queen was confined to the hangar bay then that kinda narrows down where the egg could be.

Vermillion

Vermillion

^Bishop. 

And who the hell names structural support beams on ships.   [emoji2373]

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Fun fact: the ship was actually named after the manufacturer of its structural supports.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Vermillion on May 14, 2020, 05:20:31 AM
^Bishop. 
Was also only in the hanger bay before being torn in half.

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 14, 2020, 05:26:04 AM
Fun fact: the ship was actually named after the manufacturer of its structural supports.

Convenient.

I hear they're not that great though.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Maybe that's why EU Hicks thought it was a stupid goddamn name.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

The egg wasn't on the Sulaco... It was on the Sulaco. Get it? Ah-hah, you see, because I... Ah.. I'll see myself out...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed