Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 770,975 times)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 25, 2019, 05:00:19 PM
I
Quote from: The Kurgan on Jul 25, 2019, 04:41:11 PM
We don't know how the supply ship actually drop the supplies. For all we know, they could just drop something without making contact with the ground, it could be automated or be heavily guarded.

True. It doesn't have to be supply, it could be a custodian/guard transfer. I'm certain we can dream up some scenarios.

QuoteMost of them seemed pretty sane. At least sane enough to function in the sciety they had without lashing out.

Sure, it was on purpose but for me it's an allright solution.

I always thought of the whole thing as more of a place for outcasts and people not fit for society for this or that reason than a classic prison with strict lines between guards and inmates, at the point of the movie. They created their own refuge and found comfort in routine and religion.

It works as long as the "balance" is mantained, but it's at risk when the balance is disturbed (Ripley's arrival).

I respect that it works for you. Hey, we all have our different assorted pet peeves, right? I know I do. :)

Sure do    :)

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 25, 2019, 05:00:19 PM
For me the Egg is less of an issue than most here, so it's always interesting what bothers people on a personal level. It's funny, in my personal experience I found in general non-fandom review commentary, the prison honor system is complained about more than the egg. (But of course, Newt and Hick's deaths have trumped them both.)  :)

Never really thought about it to be honest. "Where they wanna go anyway" always was enough, but I get where people are coming from questioning it.
Yeah with Hix n Noot in the spotlight most people outside of the fandom probably never really questioned much about anything else.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 25, 2019, 03:32:16 PMIt's also possible that the prison had armed guards when it housed 5,000 inmates and they simply took their weapons with them when they left.

This.

Also the film makes it quite clear the inmates stayed of their own volition. Presumably they decided remaining there with fairly lax control was far better than going to another high-security facility elsewhere, so they're probably quite grateful and haven't much interest in killing the guards.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 25, 2019, 09:10:18 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 25, 2019, 03:32:16 PMIt's also possible that the prison had armed guards when it housed 5,000 inmates and they simply took their weapons with them when they left.

This.

Also the film makes it quite clear the inmates stayed of their own volition. Presumably they decided remaining there with fairly lax control was far better than going to another high-security facility elsewhere, so they're probably quite grateful and haven't much interest in killing the guards.

Much interest? That's quite a dice a roll.  ;D

Hey, we all know the goal was to have a limited amount of prisoners, one Alien, and no weapons - script mission accomplished -  but we also know, you, me, or anyone without a death wish is not going to sign up to be a custodian of murderers and rapists on an honor system without some protection.   ;)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

This.

It would have been interesting to see Fury in its heyday.  Imagine thousands of violent double-Y chromo boys toiling every day to refine mineral ore and forge lead sheets while armed company guards looked on from the catwalks in their dogcatcher gear.

That would've made for a fine alien infestation.  Imagine the gang wars and riots when inmates started disappearing and their bodies showed up later all bloody and mutilated.  Imagine Ripley being in the middle of all that.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 25, 2019, 10:01:03 PM

This.

It would have been interesting to see Fury in its heyday.  Imagine thousands of violent double-Y chromo boys toiling every day to refine mineral ore and forge lead sheets while armed company guards looked on from the catwalks in their dogcatcher gear.

That would've made for a fine alien infestation.  Imagine the gang wars and riots when inmates started disappearing and their bodies showed up later all bloody and mutilated.  Imagine Ripley being in the middle of all that.

Now that would be pretty sweet. And then the gangs who are sworn enemies eventually learn they have to listen to Ripley and work together to survive.

That gives me a Predator: Race War vibe actually.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It would be kinda like Outland meets Aliens.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Now THAT sounds cool.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jul 25, 2019, 10:38:23 PM

That gives me a Predator: Race War vibe actually.

Think you've nailed it. It'd be better as a Predator story than an Alien one, once you've introduced all those extra factors.

razeak

razeak

I am a correctional officer so I can offer some perspective and real world observations. I can assure you the majority of us would prefer no weapons that could be turned against us. Especially firearms. Most inmates are logical. Most want to serve their sentences as smoothly as possible, especially those with long sentences. You have an alpha with Dillon. This happens in real prisons.  With no gang presence, and the typical strong bonds of inmates that choose to stick together, it makes perfect sense. I doubt Andrews and 85 would want to have the added tension of being the  only ones with access to weaponry hanging over the heads of the people they live with every day. Prisons don't even let weapons in the same area as inmates in the real world. They are in towers or outside the secure area. In corrections you have to have an ability to isolate individuals in order to control them when the stakes get high to even bring weapons to bear. There isn't a system to lock inmates down, or control their movement on Fury. It has to be a voluntary community. This is one. We have inmates waive parole in order to achieve treatment goals, and sometimes spiritual ones.

The inmates elected to stay there with a spiritual goal in mind. It's presented as a tenuous situation, and boils over with Ripley's arrival. Women were never part of the plan.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What if you were a guard when Fury was fully operational?

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 25, 2019, 11:44:31 PM
What if you were a guard when Fury was fully operational?

Like everyone else, he'd need to maintain good upright posture around Frank at all times.

SM

SM

QuoteThere isn't a system to lock inmates down, or control their movement on Fury.

They're locked up overnight.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Would you say that was inferred when Andrews said, "They may use the furnace, but I want everyone back in lockup by 2200 hours?"

SM

SM

I would say it's a thing more than just an inference.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It's not subject to interpretation like the "for all intents and purposes" line by Perez in AR?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed