Started by Thatguy2068, Apr 04, 2024, 12:19:30 AM

How do you feel about sexual themes in Alien franchise

I would like it no matter what
Depends on how it done
No Opinion
Prefer it be not in the movie
I would despise it
Author
How do you feel about sexual themes in Alien franchise (Read 2,078 times)

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: SiL on Apr 09, 2024, 12:38:15 PM
Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 09, 2024, 12:26:53 PMOh shit I didn't know that.
Right after Ripley takes command and tells aaah she has control of Mother, the scene continued to have Ripley all Lambert if she'd ever slept with Ash.

Also I'm reasonably sure the scene where Ripley goes to Dallas in the shuttle for their boning session was filmed as a screen test (the lead up, not the boning).

Yeah it is congruent with the sexual themes they were exploring with this movie.

Quote from: Neila on Apr 09, 2024, 12:29:03 PMI don't know if there is an actual filmed scene in which Ripley and Dalles get closer, but the scene with the distrust of Ash was filmed, that's right.
Ripley asks Lambert if she ever hooked up with Ash.
I think it's in the deleted scenes of the Alien Quadrilogy.

Since the Alien films are actually always about the reproduction of the alien, and in a certain sense about violent sex. The topic is always present simply because of the facehuggers.

But Lamberst's death is such an open matter.
The new cut makes it seem like the alien is attacking Lambert with his tail in an area that isn't so pleasant. (it was originally in Brat's death scene)

Does anyone have the book The Making of Species?
In some of Giger's drawings there are some pretty rough actions by Sil as she sexually abuses her victims. but they were a bit too daring for the studio.

Alien could also go in similar directions.
Not necessarily that the alien is actually having sex with a human, but it could be "exploring" a human, so to speak, while slowly killing.
Similar to Lambert's death scene.
Was it Powell who said "the alien might as well f**k you before it kills you"?

I could imagine that Fede could do something similar in Romulus, but it's in the hands of the studio and might be too daring for them.

I always loved the implied idea that the Alien toys with it's prey before killing it, in a very perverse way, although perverse is a human definition.

Xenomrph

Sexual themes are part and parcel in the Alien franchise and have been since the first movie. They absolutely have their place in it, and it would be a little weird if they were wholly removed.

Having said that, there's ways to do it properly and for great effect, and just doing it for shock value (I'm looking at you, pregnant woman belly bursters in AvPR).

Cougerboy

Quote from: Neila on Apr 09, 2024, 12:29:03 PMI don't know if there is an actual filmed scene in which Ripley and Dalles get closer, but the scene with the distrust of Ash was filmed, that's right.
Ripley asks Lambert if she ever hooked up with Ash.
I think it's in the deleted scenes of the Alien Quadrilogy.

Since the Alien films are actually always about the reproduction of the alien, and in a certain sense about violent sex. The topic is always present simply because of the facehuggers.

But Lamberst's death is such an open matter.
The new cut makes it seem like the alien is attacking Lambert with his tail in an area that isn't so pleasant. (it was originally in Brat's death scene)

Does anyone have the book The Making of Species?
In some of Giger's drawings there are some pretty rough actions by Sil as she sexually abuses her victims. but they were a bit too daring for the studio.

Alien could also go in similar directions.
Not necessarily that the alien is actually having sex with a human, but it could be "exploring" a human, so to speak, while slowly killing.
Similar to Lambert's death scene.
Was it Powell who said "the alien might as well f**k you before it kills you"?

I could imagine that Fede could do something similar in Romulus, but it's in the hands of the studio and might be too daring for them.

Lambert's death is always somewhat ambiguous, leaving it up to the imagination, so to speak. That was intentionally on the part of Ridley Scott.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I think Lambert's death is perfect as it is. We hear horrible screams and imagine the worst.

Neila

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 09, 2024, 10:45:01 PMSexual themes are part and parcel in the Alien franchise and have been since the first movie. They absolutely have their place in it, and it would be a little weird if they were wholly removed.

Having said that, there's ways to do it properly and for great effect, and just doing it for shock value (I'm looking at you, pregnant woman belly bursters in AvPR).

I think it's always supposed to cause some kind of shock or discomfort.
But it is true that the way things are presented has changed over the years.
The Belly Burster scene would probably have caused demonstrations on the streets in the 70s.
In Alien 1 it had to be a man who was first raped and then had to give birth to death.

If it had been a woman there would have been far more protest.
So it was almost a satisfaction for the zeitgeist that the previously untouchable man was suddenly completely helpless and vulnerable.

SiL

The belly busters are a problem for being pregnant women, not women in general. Women got a lot worse than chest burster in films in the 70s.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed