Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 246,414 times)

ripp3r

ripp3r

I really hate where he is taking this.  Alien/Aliens started out with such a mysterious background.  I don't think anyone who first watched those movies ever thought to themselves "I bet those Alien varmints was created by a rogue robot who himself was created by some stupid humans.".  No, at best we're led to believe that some sort of terrible collision occurred between the creatures coined as the Xenomorphs into the creatures represented by the Space Jockeys.  That the Xenomorphs were actually created by what was later termed as the Engineers was a plausible explanation, but it made Alien's world a bit smaller than it started out (to an acceptable degree).  That the Xenomorphs are now actually created by a human-created android who stumbles across the Engineers' technology makes it 100 times smaller still.  But wait it gets worse - that it's been reduced to a movie about artificial intelligence gone bad makes the world so small and uninteresting that it's just not worth caring about because now it's just a near-political piece about the dangers of today's coming artificial intelligence technologies!  Ridley, if you're so upset about that then you can start a blog or write a tweet to get your opinion out - leave Alien alone! BLAH!

Perfect-Organism

Yeah!  Blah!

OpenMaw

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 04, 2017, 10:11:13 PM
Can we do this AI stuff in Blade Runner not Alien

Nah, it turns out, in Blade Runner the Replicants are actually aliens. PLOT TWIST!!!11111!!!!

windebieste

Looking forward to what Scott is offering.

This series needed a kick in the pants to shake off the dust and over used tropes. 

So far, Scott has done just that.

Keep on kicking, Sir Scott.  Love your work.

-Windebieste.

DorkiDori

Didn't we hear the same damn thing before Paradise became Covenant?!?? Maybe this next film will actually be a dark, disturbing and Giger influenced movie...

DerelictShip

I think this goes along with the podcast saying Ridley has no passion left for the series. He should just make films based in the Alien universe that don't have anything to do with the Alien, if he really wants to explore AI more, and keep it within the same universe. That way it's still "his" universe and it would even expand what we know of the universe, and the fans would just have to accept that the Alien still exists somewhere in the dark corner of space. That way he doesn't f*** it up the creature anymore than he already has.

I'm kinda saying it based on how the next star wars trilogy is going to expand on stories within the universe but have nothing to do with the jedi, but it's still during that same time. So, do the same thing but instead of it being Jedi it would be the Alien.

SM

SM

They made Prometheus and people say 'Where are the Aliens?'
They made Covenant and people say 'Where are the Engineers?'
Fans say for years they want a story with no Aliens and just about the Company.  'Alien Covenant Origins' comes out and fans say they don't want that either.

windebieste

They also say things like Fans should have more influence in making the movies and when that happens you get things like AvP-R and A:CM.

So glad we're heading into unfamiliar territory.  Maybe it's just too 'alien' for some people.

-Windebieste.

Evanus

You know what Ridley, go for it. I can't f*cking wait.  :)

0321recon

Quote from: SM on Dec 05, 2017, 01:12:18 AM
They made Prometheus and people say 'Where are the Aliens?'
They made Covenant and people say 'Why are the Engineers?'

Boy, I hope Scott is able to course correct in a way that at least Covenant and Prometheus meld well together.

Scorpio

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 05, 2017, 01:22:58 AM
They also say things like Fans should have more influence in making the movies and when that happens you get things like AvP-R and A:CM.

It does make sense to remake Aliens (from a purely financial standpoint) because Aliens is the most popular film, even though Aliens is itself a remake of Alien just with more action.

DerelictShip

I see your point SM, but I think that's only because Prometheus could have literally been made into anything to start up the prequels, and I thought for sure, like many others, there would be Alien(s) involved since it was a prequel to the original. A:C really didn't need to be titled an Alien film, for me personally, thought it would have been better if they just focused on the neomorph, and expanded on the new world they opened us up to in Prometheus. Obviously FOX wasn't having that...

I like Prometheus a lot more now that I can see how the films coincide, but definitely still disappointed that's where Scott decided to go. By that I mean, he should have made no ties to Alien and made the film it's own sci fi thriller that's based in the same universe, since his beast is cooked...That way the Alien remains a mystery, Scott gets to continue his love for AI's, and the fans may not get to see the Alien but we do get to see the universe expand.

In reality though, Scott will be forced, no matter what, to include an Alien in some way. All about the money.

SM

With the Deacon at the end of Prometheus and only Neomorphs in Covenant the criticism would've just been 'Give us the Alien already'.

They did - and people whinge about that instead.

PierreVW

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 05, 2017, 02:00:49 AM
Quote from: windebieste on Dec 05, 2017, 01:22:58 AM

It does make sense to remake Aliens (from a purely financial standpoint) because Aliens is the most popular film, even though Aliens is itself a remake of Alien just with more action.

Prometheus and The Martian made a lot more money than Aliens and Alien.

Maybe, Ridley Scott needs to make an original and huge Sci-Fi with some Aliens/Alien in it.

DerelictShip

Honestly I would have rather had been left waiting until the third prequel film to see an Alien. I think the first two prequel films would have been accepted way more if they had not forced the Alien into it, and instead let it just progress. I think that's what Scott wanted but FOX forced him to do otherwise.

Imagine if they had followed that route and then we finally see the Alien in this next installment, people would be ecstatic, I feel pumped up just thinking about that...but of course none of that happened...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed