Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 197,686 times)

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 28, 2007, 09:49:06 PM
egg morphing can exist with thee new technique. it might be explain more in the movie...and there won't be a depate if this is Cannon because its in the movie...or least there shouldn't be becasue it works with the other techquies...i like egg morphing but this is a diffrnet sitation with more hosts involded

I am not trying to argue that egg morphing absolutely should have been in this film, but rather that even it makes more sense than the vomiting idea. If you had to use a questionable and possibly non-canon idea, for f**k's sake egg morphing should have been used before an even more ridiculous one. Also there is no good reason that the directors, studio, ADI ..and so on were ever in a position where they absolutely had to consider either one. Actually three since we've got two non-canon ideas attached together:

the vomiting and a non-queen alien molting into one.

As I myself and others have laid out here, there are other things that could have been done to still have lots of aliens on the loose. And if the empire magazine is correct, and there are more eggs on the ship, then why did they need to use this idea again? remind me please. So its not even a necessity to explain the number of aliens beyond the two the hunter and his son are impregnated with (plus the predalien). They just wanted to f**k with things if this is the case.

And another thing about the lame ass molting into a queen theory, if all lone aliens would instinctively do it iin the absence of a hive and a queen, the dog alien by this logic should have started the process. It wasn't until it had already grown to adult size and killed some people already that it discovered the queen in ripley and from then on it changed things. What are we supposed to believe it started it, but then could stop the process by sheer will?
Shouldn't it have reproduced via vomiting as well when it attacked its first victims, after all it did not know about the queen ripley was carrying at that point.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: Fitzley on Oct 28, 2007, 09:55:54 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2007, 09:45:50 PM
I'm well aware of WHY Scott cut the part out of the film.  But the TC is still his preferred cut, and obviously if thats the case, he was never that concerned with the egging process in the first place. 

But see, Cameron started the whole process. He chose not to research all aspects of the previous film, or ignore them and thus going with his own ideas. Anderson did the same thing with the 10 minute life cycle and now the Bros are taking further by ignoring what has previously been seen in the alien film universe.

Cameron knew about the lifecycle, but since the own director of Alien didn't put it in, and still till this day prefers the original cut of film, the one sans lifecycle, he added his own take.  Since Scott showed no indication he was ever wanting too or going to put that lifecycle back in by Aliens, what Cameron did was a logical progression imo.

What they are doing now is something not evidenced in any of the previous movies.

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: Fitzley on Oct 28, 2007, 09:55:54 PM
But see, Cameron started the whole process. He chose not to research all aspects of the previous film, or ignore them and thus going with his own ideas. Anderson did the same thing with the 10 minute life cycle and now the Bros are taking further by ignoring what has previously been seen in the alien film universe.

Camerons was an expansion. Think about this for two minutes: your concept: a single alien making a living organism from scratch. Which is most plausible? Which is less sloppy? Which is more likely to strike a down to earth chord with us? Hermaphrodites vs Queen hmm. Queen all the way.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 09:58:36 PM
Then you really need to rewatch it. The Alien hive looks like the Alien turned the wall into a pulsating living organism without the pulsating. The Aliens hive as clear strands of resin. They're very, very different.

I have SM's old screenshot comparison between the two.  There ARE differences, but not enough for a thinking person to not immediately draw conclusions as to what it might be.  It more closely resembled something alien than it did something human or animal.  Even if it wasn't the same, it should have been similar enough to immediately flash a person back to their encounter in the Nostromo's underbelly.

Don't get me wrong, I like the egging process.  Before this movie I would have liked to use it as a way for a single drone to get a queen facehugger in isolated environs.  Like I said, I just didn't include it as canon.  Yet.

Major Alan Schaefer

Sil i can save you time i think one can too...the point is non have multiple and can adapt like an alien, keeping it to having one makes Aliens weaker...and less scarier because they become predictable... second egg morphing would cost alot of money that they planly didn't have. Fox gave them more money ok these guys had a tight budget...they came up with a plausiible way with no Queen for the Aliens to Reproduce...i'm sure they would have done somthign else but the budget said "no way"

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2007, 09:59:00 PM
Since Scott showed no indication he was ever wanting too or going to put that lifecycle back in by Aliens, what Cameron did was a logical progression imo.
What Cameron did was hardly a logical progression - The Alien in Alien isn't an 8 foot tall termite. Scott loved the reproductive method but he couldn't fit it in, so every other piece of information had it well and truly nailed into the minds of people who cared to looks. Behind the scenes stuff in 1979 shows the egg morphing, with descriptions of the scene, the design, what's going on.

QuoteWhat they are doing now is something not evidenced in any of the previous movies.
Man, what happened to you? You used to be someone I thought could put two and two together and figure out when something goes against what was at least actually in the movies ...

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2007, 10:02:03 PM
There ARE differences, but not enough for a thinking person to immediately draw conclusions as to what it might be.
Also taking into account; poor image quality on the cameras and, as I said before, Ripley not exactly being the most coherent. She was obviously flustered.

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Oct 28, 2007, 07:21:41 PM
And the 'remnant feature' theory is not evidence because we know, of course, it wasn't ever contemplated before Colin devised it...  Or Shane...

That's not relevant to whether it fits into continuity or not.  By that logic, there should be no such thing as a queen because it didn't exist until Cameron thought it up in a later movie. ;)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 28, 2007, 10:02:49 PM
the point is non have multiple and can adapt like an alien
There's a species on Earth which has three reproductive methods, actually.

...Y'know, this explains why Colin never answered me about what the eggs look like. There are no eggs.

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 10:05:22 PM
Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 28, 2007, 10:02:49 PM
the point is non have multiple and can adapt like an alien
There's a species on Earth which has three reproductive methods, actually.

...Y'know, this explains why Colin never answered me about what the eggs look like. There are no eggs.
Well theres a few...happy Sil?
and like i said in my other post, my first gues is budget restraints

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 10:03:52 PM

What Cameron did was hardly a logical progression

Id rather see a Queen than have to deal with hermaphrodite science. Thats too much.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Then you really need to rewatch it. The Alien hive looks like the Alien turned the wall into a pulsating living organism without the pulsating. The Aliens hive as clear strands of resin. They're very, very different.
In A:R, they had something like a hive that did pulse.

kommander696

kommander696

You know what I find the funniest is the fact that every single person on here belittles the entire Alien and Predator history.  Why is it that no one of you on here have anything positive to say about the two most popular and credited monsters on this entire planet!

Just look at the big picture - The Alien is named Alien as it and its methods of mass-reproduction are indeed Alien!  No one will ever be able to explain exaclty how the Alien uses its metamorphasis to intertwine with DNA of other living species...and do you know why this is..................................its because its ALIEN!  Come on people - get over it!

Secondly I think that Colin Strause has no reason to explain himself in regards to his idea about the Predalien using 'rape' as a reproductive tool.  If you think about it...isnt that what a facehugger does???  They forcefully rape their victims face and lay egg or eggs into the victims stomach and use the nutrients within to create an embryo.  Chet (I believe) already has the egg and embryo created as he is a Queen already and taken the unique DNA of the predator from the end of AvP, which is why the use of a face hugger is no longer needed as he takes the role of that creature.  There are facehuggers in AvP-R which need explaining as to how they have an active role in the movie, as there are no eggs and no queen to survive from the end of AvP, unless the queen that Scar put to the bottom of the Antarctic managed to resurface itself at a later stage which was not seen, but this would still not explain as to how they managed to reach population.  IMO I think that the Strause Bros'  method / idea a fantastic new one.  I can't wait to see it!

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 28, 2007, 10:02:03 PM

I have SM's old screenshot comparison between the two.  There ARE differences, but not enough for a thinking person to not immediately draw conclusions as to what it might be.  It more closely resembled something alien than it did something human or animal.  Even if it wasn't the same, it should have been similar enough to immediately flash a person back to their encounter in the Nostromo's underbelly.

Don't get me wrong, I like the egging process.  Before this movie I would have liked to use it as a way for a single drone to get a queen facehugger in isolated environs.  Like I said, I just didn't include it as canon.  Yet.

who says once the cameras of the marines(obviously the marines as well) were inside the hive and seeing the people cocooned to the walls, that ripley didn't recognize it? She put her info on disc for the marines to brief themselves on, and didn't explain every single little detail during the film. Plus by then, when everyone saw dead people cocooned to the wall, as well as the live one, they kind of knew what was going on at least to a certain degree. They didn't know the live person had been impregnated, but other than that, i think it was obvious.
Why do you think ripley says that dietrich and apone can't be helped, she must have been thinking of brett and dallas. Not necessarily but it does not contradict the scene in the director's cut of Alien. Now don't get me wrong, I have argued before that egg morphing should probably be considered non-canon, but indeed it does not belong in the same exact category as queen molting or oral embryo implantation.

persistentvision

I am patiently twiddling my thumbs waiting for some brave scriptwriter/producer/director/special effects team to bring to the screens, the most ignored aspect of the Alien life-cycle, as originally conceived by Dan O`Bannon for the original ALIEN script. That being that (in the first scripting for the Nostromo astronauts who discover the Space Jockey Wreck) on LV 426 there was a Pyramid found with heiroglyphics that depicted the Egg-FaceHugger-Chestburster-Drone Lifecycle; and the Pyramid was actually made BY THE ALIENS, (not Predators as in AVP!). The Pyramid was supposed to be an intrinsic part of the Hive`s Continuing life-cycle just like an ant hill or a termite mound. This original concept credited the ALIEN species with complex abilities and even Culture interlinked with their incredibly ruthless ferocity!! Such a great concept.....

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 10:03:52 PM
What Cameron did was hardly a logical progression - The Alien in Alien isn't an 8 foot tall termite. Scott loved the reproductive method but he couldn't fit it in, so every other piece of information had it well and truly nailed into the minds of people who cared to looks. Behind the scenes stuff in 1979 shows the egg morphing, with descriptions of the scene, the design, what's going on.

Yes I'm sure Cameron knew about it.  But again, its up to directors/writers to protect their own work in an openended franchise like Alien.  Scott and co wanted to use the egging process, they should have put it in originally.  Cameron couldn't have done the queen then.  Likewise if Cameron wanted Newt and Hicks to survive, he should've shown them safely tucked away in bed at Gateway station with Ripley in a rocking chair singing nursery rhymes.  By omission by Scott and co, Cameron is allowed to explain what the source of the Alien eggs were, just like by omission, Fincher is allowed to kill Newt and Hicks at Alien 3 because Cameron never showed their happily ever after.

Man, what happened to you? You used to be someone I thought could put two and two together and figure out when something goes against what was at least actually in the movies ...

Wait.  What?  I don't follow you.  Either you've misunderstood what I said, or vice versa.  Subsequently, two plus two equals four.

Also taking into account; poor image quality on the cameras and, as I said before, Ripley not exactly being the most coherent. She was obviously flustered.

Ripley is a ninja.  She doesn't get flustered.  She walks into an Alien hive without weapons training and combats Alien queens with powerloaders and a force of will.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed