Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 197,687 times)

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: echobbase79 on Oct 27, 2007, 04:50:00 PM

AvP: R won't give us any of that kind of film making either, but I don't expect it to. Its a monster movie, plain and simple. It's more about the action than the drama. I'm not calling it mindless entertainment, but if you know your monster movies you should know what I mean.

See I just find that a defeatist attitude. We all know a VS movie is usually stupid. The best film makers are the ones who take a dead idea and spin it on its head: smarter, much like how the franchise started all those years ago.

The safest way to get this franchise back is to split it up, but this way IS possible, just not any time soon.

echobbase79

echobbase79

It's not a defeatist attitude. I think for the material that has been given to them they've done some pretty good work. Hell this might be better than any of them. I don't know, you don't know because we haven't seen the movie yet.

As I've gotten older I don't like the VS idea anymore. Freddy vs Jason sucked too. I see how it causes problems. And I don't want a AvP 3. AvP: R should be the final word on the subject IMO.

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: echobbase79 on Oct 27, 2007, 04:59:25 PM
Hell this might be better than any of them, I don't know, you don't know.

Even the stock market doesnt work on absolutes. Just careful predictions  :P

And the odds of this being the best film in the entire franchise is like 5% lol.

echobbase79

echobbase79

True.  ;)

brad873

brad873

still, its 5%. im going to give this thing a chance and say its a good idea, but it has to be pulled off right, or its all ruind

Predator-S

Predator-S

Quote from: Anomaly on Oct 27, 2007, 05:00:52 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on Oct 27, 2007, 04:59:25 PM
Hell this might be better than any of them, I don't know, you don't know.

Even the stock market doesnt work on absolutes. Just careful predictions  :P

And the odds of this being the best film in the entire franchise is like 5% lol.
For some it might turn out to be. I know people who think A:R is the best in the series lol.
It all depends on opinion.

Jenga

Okay I'm just posting here for the sake of adding another "vote" to the side of the argument that I believe in.

manners aside, I'm with Sil and all of the people in that frame of mind. I don't want someone showing up thinking that the way to leave their mark is to change what we already like (the alien and it's life cycle). I want someone to leave their mark by proving they're creative enough to make something new and exciting without messing up what has already come before. Besides the only way to make these movies get better is to focus more on interesting realistic human characters rather than making newer watered down creatures (sorry chet, you could have been great ).

And now I see the poll at the top of the page read 57% LIKE the idea of Chet egg vomiting? I think I know why Sil reacted so negatively towards Colin. It's like our own community doesn't really understand what makes Alien so great! It's like our own community (on this board at least) is turning their backs on what we liked about Aliens. It's like waking up in the morning and finding out the lady you slept with from the bar is actually ugly!

I can't believe it but for all of it's warts and problems I think Paul Anderson's movie will probably be as good or better than this one (definitely from the standpoint of respect for source material).

Anyone who is on the "Sil" side has to be realizing that we probably lost our chance forever to get one final REALLY GOOD alien movie when FOX passed on James Cameron and Ridley Scott working together on Alien 5.......that still burns more than anything else ever will.

And before anyone jumps up with this "You don't like it, why don't you make your own movie" - well I hope to some day. That is my career goal (that and concept artist), I'm 24 and I haven't had a lucky break that would put me in the director's chair of anything with a budget but were the timetables to actually work out in my favor?...then I WOULD make a movie and respect what's good about aliens without stamping my ego on the project.

Jesus we need Ridley Scott now more than ever *sigh*  :(

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Oct 27, 2007, 03:18:25 PM
Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 01:44:36 PM
QuoteWell your idea makes even less sense than barfing.  What if there is no Queen?  Then you have no royal jelly.
Royal jelly doesn't come from a Queen.  Worker bees secrete it.
Now your idea is getting even worse.  If every alien can secrete the royal jelly, why don't they all become queens?

Y'know, just for starters, I want to iterate that my preferred method isn't something I claim is in the movies.  As I said, Alien 3 puts paid to it.  It's just how I wished they'd handled it.

Regardless of that, "every Alien" wouldn't become a Queen for the same reason not every worker bee becomes a Queen.  Because that's not how it works.  The Aliens have a structure to their society, and I was merely saying that it may...excuse me, could have been made to follow the bee template in other ways too.

But y'know...the puke thing is good too.

Bees appear to just randomly select an ordinary larvae to be a queen.

I prefer it if the dominant alien becomes the queen.  That way it is genetically pre-determined.  The best alien DNA gets passed on, creating a new batch of aliens which has a dominant alien again, etc, etc.  So genetic improvements can happen.  That is seen in biology, also.

It is kind of like a mixing of insect and mammal reproductive systems.

Anomaly

Anomaly

To Jenga: Nice post.

Make us proud in hollywood ;D

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 05:11:03 PM
QuoteWell your idea makes even less sense than barfing.  What if there is no Queen?  Then you have no royal jelly.
Now your idea is getting even worse.  If every alien can secrete the royal jelly, why don't they all become queens?

Y'know, just for starters, I want to iterate that my preferred method isn't something I claim is in the movies.  As I said, Alien 3 puts paid to it.  It's just how I wished they'd handled it.

Regardless of that, "every Alien" wouldn't become a Queen for the same reason not every worker bee becomes a Queen.  Because that's not how it works.  The Aliens have a structure to their society, and I was merely saying that it may...excuse me, could have been made to follow the bee template in other ways too.

I prefer it if the dominant alien becomes the queen.  That way it is genetically pre-determined.  The best alien DNA gets passed on, creating a new batch of aliens which has a dominant alien again, etc, etc.  So genetic improvements can happen.  That is seen in biology, also.

That's not a bad idea. I kinda dig it.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Oct 27, 2007, 03:31:43 PM
Quote from: Colin_Strause on Oct 26, 2007, 09:12:54 PM
Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 26, 2007, 09:12:11 PM
We've never seen this time period in a hives or Queens life so its an open field

Exactly my point.

Sorry I'm late, but Queens don't have two reproductive cycles and, according to Alien Resurrection, they need to be fully grown to produce eggs...And I mean FULLY GROWN, like with her crown the size of a human... The scene with Perez, Wren and Gediman is very clear about that... And enough is said... ::)

The Queen was captive so she never got a chance to use another reproductive system.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Oct 27, 2007, 03:51:39 PM
Also, I find hilarious that a Queen would have two reproductory cycles so close to eachother, one through the mouth, the other through the back...And people thinking this is not the dumbest idea acrosss all Alien movies...

It is biologically impossible, alien or no alien, to have two completely different ways of laying embryos, one through the mouth, and one through the back, with eggs containing embryo-carriers and layers...

Chet starts out as a normal alien - he doesn't morph into a queen until later.  So it is not using two reproductive systems at the same time.

rycher

rycher

so where did the aliens come from in AVPR???  theres no sign of a queen rite?
I'm all confused about this part. because i saw that facehuggers came from tubes in the trailer, I cant pass judgement yet because there were only 2 that we saw in the trailer but hey, there might be more.  so did the preds capture the facehuggers or what?? where did they come from? im sure we'll see it in the movie but for now its confusing.

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: Aeus on Oct 27, 2007, 05:13:33 PM

It was Colin that mentioned it in one of his posts in this topic.  I agree, that it is a good idea and elevates them above merely 'bugs'.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 05:19:09 PM
Quote from: Aeus on Oct 27, 2007, 05:13:33 PM

It was Colin that mentioned it in one of his posts in this topic.  I agree, that it is a good idea and elevates them above merely 'bugs'.

I also like how it gives us some insight into what may have happened to Lambert.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed