All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 341,789 times)

Blacklabel

Blacklabel

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 30, 2014, 11:00:38 AM
It was weird. Even though Kirk's death ultimately meant nothing because he's revived, I still cried pretty intensely during that scene. I think I'm more attached to these characters than I realize. I wonder if they revived him only because they don't want to completely rip-off the previous films.

They revived Kirk because: SEQUEL.

SM

SM

Problem was they flagged his resurrection way too early.  Think I would've preferred that they left him dead, or on some kind of cliffhanger to be brought back in the next film - even though that might to too close to copying the original 2 and 3.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SM on Jun 30, 2014, 11:00:38 PM
Problem was they flagged his resurrection way too early.
Not to mention they did it in the clumsiest way possible.

Kirk and Khan having intense face-off...Kirk turns to Bones and asks what he's doing with a Tribble (they evidently didn't have to wait for Cyrano Jones in this timeline) to which he gets, "I'm injecting it with magic blood to see what happens to dead stuff."  (More or less.)  No one could have predicted what would happen!  NOBODY!!

Quote from: SM on Jun 29, 2014, 11:38:38 PM
Finally watched Into Darkness.  Dug it up till the bit where they blew up Khan's ship.

They suddenly just lose power and start falling to Earth - from the moon?  Then they do this awful forgery of Wrath of Khan.

Overall - decent, but let down badly by its climax.
I do wonder what you'll think of it soon.  The plotholes* should be multiplying nicely in your mind any time now.

*Do they count as holes if the whole plot doesn't actually string together?

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: SM on Jun 30, 2014, 10:40:43 PM
I tear up on Wrath Of Khan, every time, after countless viewings since 1982.
Probably haven't seen the film as much as you have -- but the reaction is the same!

SM

SM

QuoteI do wonder what you'll think of it soon.  The plotholes* should be multiplying nicely in your mind any time now.

I haven't given it a great deal of thought beyond the end.

Except - not quite sure what the point of Khan putting his minions in the torpedoes was.

And funnily enough, being completely unaware of the controversy, the First Lady did a massive WTF? at Carol Marcus' knickers.  I, being aware of the controversy, laughed heartily.  Complete and utter lack of professionalism all round in Starfleet.  "Oh, I know your reputation as a f**k machine Kirk, 'cos you f**ked my friend Nurse Easter Egg - but I'm going to strip down to my space undies right behind you and trust you not to look, and then act all coy and pretend to be angry when you do."

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I teared up at both scenes. I was more annoyed at how the dialogue was almost entirely verbatim from Wrath of Khan than anything. And let's be honest, at least it was better than Nimoy himself quoting the movie in god damn Transformers 3.

Quote from: SM on Jul 01, 2014, 05:00:09 AM

Except - not quite sure what the point of Khan putting his minions in the torpedoes was.

He was trying to smuggle them out the only way available to him.

SM

SM

Ehhh - didn't really buy it.  Did Admiral Robocop know they were in the torpedoes?

QuoteAnd let's be honest, at least it was better than Nimoy himself quoting the movie in god damn Transformers 3.

Think I need to go watch Transformers 3 again.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: SM on Jul 01, 2014, 05:03:37 AM
Ehhh - didn't really buy it.  Did Admiral Robocop know they were in the torpedoes?

I don't think so... it's been a while. That was one of the things I remember being a little iffy about to begin with.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 01, 2014, 05:01:35 AM
So the real question is, why the hell did Marcus give them to Kirk and tell him to shoot them all at Qo'noS?  I'd love to hear someone explain the logic of that.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: SM on Jun 30, 2014, 10:40:43 PM
I tear up on Wrath Of Khan, every time, after countless viewings since 1982.

The cringe inducing awfulness of Kirk's death, was capped off by Spocks laugh out loud "KHAAANNN!!!!"

It might work better for people not familiar with the source material - but that source material hit every beat perfectly, the performances were flawless, and it was an awesome pay off for everything that came before.  This time it was, as I said, a forgery.

ST 2 gets me as well in the feelz department. I'll admit Spock's scream was kinda meh. Hell, I preferred the "parody" (so to speak) of it in the first movie when Nero yells, "SPOOOOOCK!!"

Quote from: SM on Jun 30, 2014, 11:00:38 PMeven though that might to too close to copying the original 2 and 3.

There's the problem. It's been done enough with Into Darkness, this business of repeating the older films. I want something new. A film about the Khitomer Massacre would be good. Not like in ST VI, which was about Accords, that is.

SM

SM

Quote from: Uncanny Antman on Jul 01, 2014, 10:39:00 AM
Quote from: KiramidHead on Jul 01, 2014, 05:01:35 AM
So the real question is, why the hell did Marcus give them to Kirk and tell him to shoot them all at Qo'noS?  I'd love to hear someone explain the logic of that.

Was Praxis already destroyed when they got to Qo'nos?  Looked like a lot of debris in orbit.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

It was.  Although they spelt it differently for some reason.  (Praxxis.)

SM

SM

That rascally Nero.  Meddling with timelines, causing spelling mistakes and making Klingons look different.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Bit of a precedent within the series about that last one, to be fair.

SM

SM

Yeah but what's the reasoning this time?  It's not down to lack of decent makeup effects in the 60s.  Did Nero's interference really somehow make Klingons look different?  It was interesting that the events of the first nuTrek lead to Admiral Robocop searching for weapons to aid against a similar threat to Nero and he found Khan in the process.  But how much affect did he have overall?  Has the potential to get rather ridiculous.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed