All Star Trek

Started by Shasvre, Jan 09, 2010, 09:26:47 PM

Author
All Star Trek (Read 341,787 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I guess they wanted to keep it in the line with the "squeaky-clean" image of Star Trek and all. Voyager had some really amazing moments. Seeing Species 8472 bioships destroy and entire planet, or at the end of Equinox Part 1 when Janeway was almost mauled by one of the aliens (w/e they were called). Both sequences had my jaw on the floor.

As for ToS; indeed those three were at the centre of almost everything. But the others had their moments to shine. Doohan and Takei especially.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Too bad Star Trek '09 is the only Trek movie I saw on the big screen. I was too young when The Undiscovered Country, Generations and First Contact where released. I was aware of Insurrection and Nemesis when I was younger though.

genocyber

genocyber

Voyager ruined the franchise. Janeway was a huge bitch who passed up every opportunity to go home early just so she could fart around in the Delta Quadrant and put everyone at risk of the Borg because hrrr hrrr she's da captain!
Didn't care for Black Spock, or Q overstaying his welcome. They turned the Borg into a joke that can be easily outwitted and their ships blown up with a simple bomb. No longer were they the apocalyptic end all of the Star Trek universe. The episodes were terrible and slow, usually involving Janeway's own stupidity at putting their crew at risk with each new race they encounter that might not be so humble.

Also pissed off Janeway was made into an admiral and Picard who did alot more than her wasn't.

SM

SM

QuoteVoyager ruined the franchise. Janeway was a huge bitch who passed up every opportunity to go home early just so she could fart around in the Delta Quadrant and put everyone at risk of the Borg because hrrr hrrr she's da captain!

And putting them at the risk of the Borg is what eventually hrr hrrr got them home.

QuoteThey turned the Borg into a joke that can be easily outwitted and their ships blown up with a simple bomb.

Oh so she wasn't putting them at risk of the Borg after all then?

QuoteAlso pissed off Janeway was made into an admiral and Picard who did alot more than her wasn't.

Kirk - Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.

QuoteI guess they wanted to keep it in the line with the "squeaky-clean" image of Star Trek and all.

I know but they could've relaxed it a bit.  They can still act like Starfleet, even if they don't quite look the part anymore.

genocyber

genocyber

Quote from: SM on Sep 13, 2012, 05:18:38 AM
QuoteVoyager ruined the franchise. Janeway was a huge bitch who passed up every opportunity to go home early just so she could fart around in the Delta Quadrant and put everyone at risk of the Borg because hrrr hrrr she's da captain!

And putting them at the risk of the Borg is what eventually hrr hrrr got them home.
Q offered many times to take them home and Janeway always said no. Bitch.

QuoteThey turned the Borg into a joke that can be easily outwitted and their ships blown up with a simple bomb.

Oh so she wasn't putting them at risk of the Borg after all then?
Regardless of how dumbed down they were, they still assimilated some of the crew.

QuoteAlso pissed off Janeway was made into an admiral and Picard who did alot more than her wasn't.

Kirk - Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do *anything* that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there... you can make a difference.
I guess that's why Kirk never retired then--OH WAIT!

SM

SM

You are familiar with the expression 'Speaking from experience', right?

SM

SM

Dug the film, could never get into the TV show.  Just seemed like 'What planet featuring an ancient Earth culture are we visiting this week?'

Quote from: SM on Sep 13, 2012, 08:44:10 AM
Dug the film, could never get into the TV show.  Just seemed like 'What planet featuring an ancient Earth culture are we visiting this week?'

early on sure, but it really found it's feet during seasons 2 and 3, most shows start off like that, things like Buffy and Smallville both relied on "freak of the week" style episodes early on, Fringe too, in fact ones that don't, generally don't do as well, because a show you can't switch onto one random episode, and not understand what's going on, generally ostracise potential viewers, only rewarding people that have been watching unerringly since the pilot.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 13, 2012, 02:58:36 AM
I think Voyager was the best of the franchise. It was set in a new part of the Galaxy so the writers had free reign to tackle new Alien species and create entirely new stories.

ToS is my second favourite because, well, it was the first one to set the tone of the entire series to come. Except of course when Rick Berman decided to shit all over everything with DS9...

Interesting. Rarely does someone claim that Voyager is the best. Like I mentioned before its a bit of a lightning rod with people. That said Berman (and Braga) is actually credited with killing Trek. He had little (creatively) to due with DS9. That was mostly Moore and Philler (personally) I would say.

Anyhoot. I can see why people wouldn't like DS9 as well, even though it could be my favorite. The first 2-3 year were so boring it hurt your soul. All treks were like that, you just had to get through the first years of "getting to their feet" like most shows have to do.

Quote from: genocyber on Sep 13, 2012, 05:08:52 AM
They turned the Borg into a joke that can be easily outwitted and their ships blown up with a simple bomb. No longer were they the apocalyptic end all of the Star Trek universe.

This is a lot of the flak they got from the fans (in part). Voyager completely de-fanged the Borg. They became a nearly unstoppable monolithic force that was utterly feared to a villain of the week. However to be fair, we went from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyenRCJ_4Ww#

To having a queen. So, the start was First Contact.

genocyber

genocyber

I didn't mind the queen. It just didn't need to be in Voyager and they could have come up with something else to diversify them.

ScardyFox

ScardyFox

Still, to be fair that is where the change started.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Fan-made poster:

SuperM

SuperM

Voyager had a few good eps. 'Deathwish' and 'The Thaw' are great. Can't say I can think of any others. Disliked Janeway and Chuckles. The EMH, Tuvok and Paris were cool though.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: ScardyFox on Sep 13, 2012, 09:31:18 AM
Quote from: DoomRulz on Sep 13, 2012, 02:58:36 AM
I think Voyager was the best of the franchise. It was set in a new part of the Galaxy so the writers had free reign to tackle new Alien species and create entirely new stories.

ToS is my second favourite because, well, it was the first one to set the tone of the entire series to come. Except of course when Rick Berman decided to shit all over everything with DS9...

Interesting. Rarely does someone claim that Voyager is the best. Like I mentioned before its a bit of a lightning rod with people. That said Berman (and Braga) is actually credited with killing Trek. He had little (creatively) to due with DS9. That was mostly Moore and Philler (personally) I would say.

Anyhoot. I can see why people wouldn't like DS9 as well, even though it could be my favorite. The first 2-3 year were so boring it hurt your soul. All treks were like that, you just had to get through the first years of "getting to their feet" like most shows have to do.

DS9 was too dark for me, along with the stale setting; it was boring through and through. I didn't get that same sense of exploration that other Treks had.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed