The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 240,147 times)

SM

I have mixed feelings about the dropholes.

Spoiler
It was good that AvP:A clarified how they worked more, as it was  bit vague in the other books.  And I love all extradimensional timey-wimey stuff that can drive you mad if you're not in a proper hypersleep pod (except Predators who are all 'meh').  But they were a bit redundant in a wider context.  The ships in these books were touted as being very fast,  but were incredibly slow compared to much older ships (Sulaco, Nostromo).

The clarified version of the dropholes in AvP:A does speed things up quite a lot, but the Arrow-class ships, supposedly the fastest, were still way slow.  Drophole Rage 1 was about 500 light years from Sol, and we're given the impression it would take years, possibly longer, to travel such distances.  The Sulaco, a 500 year old ship, could do it in 9-10 months.

In that regard, it was like Lebbon created something to bring the known universe closer together that it didn't actually need - and now it's gone.
[close]

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Yeah, I understand your concern. I remember that in the second book, it was stated that it'd take 40 years to get to Earth from the edge of the Human Sphere.

Maybe if Lebbon made the Sphere larger and his ships faster than the ones so far. That would've worked a bit better.

I did like the idea that the ships took ages to get to places, it kept with the Alien theme of space travel being difficult and costly, and even long (even if it just takes months, that's still ages), but he made our territories too small and ships even slower than the Sulaco.

I like how the first book made it seem like humanity caught up with Predators mostly, being almost equal and all. Then the second book slowly casts doubts on this as you are shown Marines struggling against the Rage while Yautja ships come and lend a big help here and there.

Then the third book completely throws it in your face how still behind the Predators we are technologically... and the ending
Spoiler
only adds more salt to that wound as most of our progress is demolished back by a couple of centuries. While they get themselves a nice Rage Warp Drive to probably reverse engineer.
[close]

Also those Goldilocks worlds such as Addison Prime and Weaver's World makes me wonder, have Engineers seeded them?

Weaver's World has
Spoiler
spiders that weave massive webs (hence how it got the name), and also a wolf-like creature that got domesticated by human colonists (as no alien life such as actual dogs were allowed on the world). It also even wags its tail when happy and behaves pretty much like a dog.There's also some birds too, hinting that this world could've had dinosaur like creatures possibly in the past as birds are basically modern dinosaurs. Maybe this world had a similar evolutionary path for some of its creatures. The only truly alien thing were the tentacled whales I think, we didn't get a good glimpse on it, just that it had a blowhole like a whale, was huge and snatched birds from above water with tentacles.
[close]

I think there were other animals mentioned in previous books that seemed quite Earth-like but I can't remember.

I remember the old EU had some alien but familiar creatures, like one of the comics with Machiko Noguchi shows a monkey like thing. Also the world in AvP-2 whith Jockey ruins has alien animals that have DNA strikingly similar to Earth life according to the datapads you can read. I know these were long before Prometheus, it's just an observation I made that I found really interesting and thought I'd add.

Although it shouldn't be too surprising to see Earth-like life on other worlds in this franchise when you consider the similarities between humans and Predators. So other worlds can have dog like things and bird like things etc.

Also Predxeno, regarding your criticism on the Marines using infrared to track Aliens.

Don't forget that their suits have their own tracking systems too, they highlight enemies and also which targets to shoot so you and your comrades don't shoot the same thing.

Plus, in the third book, they only activated infrared when lights got blown out or when too much smoke clouded the area. So they probably weren't doing it for the Xenos, but to see better in the environment.

Corporal Hicks

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Excellent review Hicks.

I do disagree with the Gerard Marshall bit, I personally found his character development interesting. How underneath all of that money and power, he is just a human being. How even Marshall can find it within himself to care.

In a way, Marshall reminded me of Grant from the older novels like Alien Genocide. A corporate CEO with a greedy motivation who develops into a better person as the story unfolds.

Spoiler
As for your point on their plan, I think they must've discussed it off-page. They did some things off-page like Halley about to explain her plan before their assault on the Macbeth. Maybe they went over it again or something.
[close]

But besides that, I agree with everything else. I also felt Tim could've continued
Spoiler
Sergei Budanov's arc a bit longer. What happens to him? Does he win? Does he die? Last time we see him and his unit, they're charging with some Yautja into the dark tunnels to face Aliens and that's pretty much it.

Whereas everybody else got some nice conclusions. I am going to assume that soon after the conclusion, the Yautja depart from their alliance, they leave places like Weaver's World for humans to defend themselves, having finally got their vengeance. They may have helped us, but they're not here to hold our hands lol.
[close]

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Just finished the book! I'll have thoughts up probably tomorrow, but boy that was an ending!

Spoiler
I liked how the final digits to deactivate the drop-holes were 426.

Sad Yaquita died off-screen. I'm really hoping we get some follow-up stories, especially following Palant and Hashori. Same with the Drukathi. I have to think they're the Engineers, especially with Palant's reference to "theological riddles," but either way I hope we get more info on them.

Overall, a good end to a great trilogy.
[close]

Now I have an overwhelming urge to go back and re-read both Titan trilogies. I love how Lebbon planted these seeds back in 2014 and it paid off this big.
Spoiler
I definitely think the dog-aliens were a victim of the Drukathi like humans became. There was probably a dog-alien Rage War at some point!

Also pretty sure now that the Faze is the creature from the Prometheus mural, and that the mural is telling how the Engineers left them behind to bring the xenos to races that become too advanced.

I really like how the xenos are basically a cosmic balancing force in the Rage War, that's a lot like their role in Destroying Angels.
[close]

One last thing, I love the line
Spoiler
"Even the Yautja have never found anything like that." in reference to Midsummer. Very eerie.
[close]

The Alien Predator

Good point, Ultramorph.

Maybe the Dog-Aliens did have their own
Spoiler
Rage War.

Remember the Dog-Alien ruins found on LV-178? What if that was a colony infested by their own version of the Rage? Because I don't recall their ship being described the same as the Rage ships. Maybe it was similar, it's been a long time since I read Out of the Shadows and Sea of Sorrows. I know they grew their buildings, but maybe those were buildings "upgraded" by the Faze?

I doubt the Faze is the creature on the mural. it's described as a slug like organism with insect like limbs on its back. And in the third book, it separates into pieces and can change shape sort of.

That thing in the mural is too big for a Faze, it's more canine... Dog-Alien?  (Although Tim Lebbon denied that is the same creature.)
[close]

Ultramorph

Yeah that's a good point about
Spoiler
the mural creature not really matching the description of the Faze. I'm dying to learn more about the Drukathi, either way.
[close]

The Alien Predator

I can't wait to read the next interview with Tim Lebbon! Hicks had sent the questions to him.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Oct 15, 2016, 08:04:31 PM
Maybe the Dog-Aliens did have their own
Spoiler
Rage War.

Remember the Dog-Alien ruins found on LV-178? What if that was a colony infested by their own version of the Rage? Because I don't recall their ship being described the same as the Rage ships. Maybe it was similar, it's been a long time since I read Out of the Shadows and Sea of Sorrows. I know they grew their buildings, but maybe those were buildings "upgraded" by the Faze?
[close]

That's a really interesting point! I distinctively remember the Dog-aliens ship as being described as looking grown. I don't recall them mentioning the same about the buildings though. Can anyone check?

HuDaFuK

Buildings were stone as far as I remember.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yeah it's been a while since I've read Out of the Shadows or Sea of Sorrows, but I seem to remember the "grown not built" thing only applying to the ships. Maybe Midsummer was their equivalent of the Macbeth.

I also wonder
Spoiler
how much damage was actually done to Sol system, especially Earth. It seemed dire from what Marshall heard, or didn't hear.
[close]

The Alien Predator

I don't think they
Spoiler
reached Earth. They destroyed Charon Station. When their ships destructed, some destructed near moons and other planets, probably near colonies.

And several nukes went off around Mars' facilities, which makes me wonder if James Barclay got killed.

But as for Earth, I think four explosions happened on the path towards Earth, but not near it. However, all of these nukes going off must've sent some EMP wave that prevented communications, even if temporarily, which made Marshall think the situation was much more dire than it actually was.

If he hadn't shut down the dropholes, there actually wouldn't have been "that" much damage. Humans would recover pretty quickly I think now that the Rage are defeated. It's the shutting down of dropholes that broke our cosmic backs.
[close]

However... I wonder if that drophole
Spoiler
modified by the Faze was affected? Can you imagine how vulnerable we are now? Our dropholes are shut down except for possibly that one which leads straight to Sol from hundreds of light years in an instant.

Maybe it's a new drophole that Yautja may begin using? In addition to their new Rage warp drives and anything else they gleam from the ruins of the Macbeth and the other Fiennes ships as I doubt they'd just leave them floating around the crippled humans.
[close]

I do wonder though, now that they know where
Spoiler
Midsummer is, will they pay it a visit? They've never seen the Dog-Aliens apparently and might be curious. Also they may head over there to nuke the f**k out of Midsummer to prevent it from falling into other prey's hands.
[close]

Ultramorph

So many questions that call for a follow up!

The Alien Predator

Also what happened to the people on
Spoiler
Hell? I guess everyone died. What about the population on Weaver's World? It's now left crawling with Xenomorphs who are leaderless and dangerous. Maybe the Yautja stuck around for a bit but left soon after the Macbeth was destroyed. Leaving humans to fight Aliens alone now that their vengeance was complete? No doubt taking the ruins of the Aaron-Percival with them as they left.

What about Addison Prime? I can't remember if that world was attacked, was it attacked in the second book?
[close]

Ultramorph

I hadn't even thought about
Spoiler
the super-up drop-hole right into Sol system. Looks like a good opportunity for the next wave of invaders!

I wonder if the Faze had something to do with Sol going silent for Marshall. Maybe it was covering for itself when it knew the Rage were going to lose.
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed