The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 240,135 times)

Lonely Universe

I'm pretty excited but man that cover art makes it look so cheap & throwaway.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: 8BA on Oct 09, 2015, 10:42:34 PM
I'm pretty excited but man that cover art makes it look so cheap & throwaway.

I see what you mean.

Personally, I am not too bothered by the cover, but I wonder why he has a mask that looks like Wolf's (same goes for why the Elite had the Wolf mask in AvP 2010 game). Maybe it's a symbolic mask signifying a certain role.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 09, 2015, 10:45:51 PM
Personally, I am not too bothered by the cover, but I wonder why he has a mask that looks like Wolf's (same goes for why the Elite had the Wolf mask in AvP 2010 game). Maybe it's a symbolic mask signifying a certain role.

I wouldn't read too much into the cover, or even the skins. I mean in the case of the skins... I think those were done as homages to the character. As for the cover, same reason why we got Scar and Celtic on the covers for the Hish mythos series. Nothing more, nothing less.

Perfect-Organism

I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE GOING TO MAKE ME BUY A pREDATOR NOVEL.  I MEAN I HAVE NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER.  (Oh oops, Caps lock  :-[ )  Any way, I need my fix of Aliens stories so seeing as how I'm not going to jump into the last 2 novels, I guess I have to read this.  No offense to the Pred fans out there.  Honestly, I gave it a chance but nothing got me seriously hooked.  I did like the original Warner, Verheiden series from DH, but it went downhill from there.

predxeno

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Oct 09, 2015, 10:58:01 PM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 09, 2015, 10:45:51 PM

I wouldn't read too much into the cover, or even the skins. I mean in the case of the skins... I think those were done as homages to the character. As for the cover, same reason why we got Scar and Celtic on the covers for the Hish mythos series. Nothing more, nothing less.

^This, I've read a LOT of books in my time and what's out on the cover often had to do with marketing purposes; do you think the publisher will pay hundreds of dollars for an artist to design a completely new Predator or do you think they'll just rehash old designs?  A lot of times, the covers or other promotional material fail to even accurately portray the characters in a story; in one book I read, a woman is described as black but in the promotional art she was white.

Ultramorph

I definitely don't get why they went with an AVPR still for the cover. Maybe they'll do better with the second two. It's nice that it's just over a week until it comes out.

The Alien Predator

Yeah, I gotta admit, I did kind of like the book covers of the Hish novels and the South China Sea one. They may have re-used some Predator designs, but they were in creative poses and environments.

This one made me think too much of Wolf in the sewers hunting Chet. I still like it, but I wish it did go for a bit more creativity.

But then again, it's the story I'm more interested in.

Ultramorph

In a small bit of new, Alien: Invasion was just listed on Amazon US. It has no cover or description yet, but it has a release date of April 26, 2016. Pretty neat that this and Aliens: Defiance #1 come out back-to-back.
http://www.amazon.com/Alien-Invasion-Rage-War-2-ebook/dp/B016GRL46E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444591583&sr=8-1&keywords=alien+invasion+tim+lebbon

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 09, 2015, 10:45:51 PMPersonally, I am not too bothered by the cover, but I wonder why he has a mask that looks like Wolf's.

Because it is a shot of Wolf. Judging by the sewer background, its a still from AVPR.

I miss the novels having original overs and not screenshots from other unrelated things.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 12, 2015, 08:05:08 AM
Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Oct 09, 2015, 10:45:51 PMPersonally, I am not too bothered by the cover, but I wonder why he has a mask that looks like Wolf's.

Because it is a shot of Wolf. Judging by the sewer background, its a still from AVPR.

I miss the novels having original overs and not screenshots from other unrelated things.

Same here, I did like that about the older books.

My local book shop where I ordered Predator: Incursion has just texted me that my book has arrived. I was astounded as I expected it next week, not TODAY.

I am going to go pick it up real soon.

happypred

After you're done reading, please let us know whether Lebbon's predators still feel like semi-barbaric hunters

RakaiThwei

Quote from: happypred on Oct 13, 2015, 04:39:43 AM
After you're done reading, please let us know whether Lebbon's predators still feel like semi-barbaric hunters

From what I've heard, I still prefer Perry's versions. Mind you that just a matter of preference.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Ok, I am three chapters in and I'll do my best.

Spoiler
Chapter 1 (after the Prologue that is available on Amazon) starts in 2692 in the Outer Rims, it is already dealing with the aftermath of a Yautja hunt. A Marine named Johnny Mains is observing a dead Yautja, the place was attacked by two Predators who killed two Marines before being killed.

Now before anyone feels that Yautja are being nerfed, do note that the Marines are using laser rifles, yes, laser, not plasma. Laser travels at the speed of light and I doubt even Yautja can dodge that. Two shots from the laser rifle completely severed the Predator's hand from his wrist and damaged his wrist computer which left the corpse flickering in and out of visibility as the cloaking glitched.

The VoidLarks are monitoring a "Yautja habitat" (which are huge artificial vessels orbiting stars, probably large motherships that are being stationary) and the two Yautja that attacked them didn't come from this mothership.

One thing I noted that made the four attackers (another pair of Yautja attacked somewhere else) similar to Perry's Yautja is the fact that they can be assholes during the hunt. A Marine gave her life protecting a man and his two children from one of the Predators. The book says that during the heat of the hunt, a Predator can get a bit too carried away and kill everything quickly and efficiently while other individuals can get a bit more sadistic and barbaric.

Already in chapter one, a Marine was trophied.

Chapter two takes place on LV-1529, which is being terraformed by Weyland-Yutani but is also the best place for research on Yautja as it's in the outer rims. The scientist lady (I'll leave her name for you guys to find out) is obsessed and fascinated with all things Predator, she could barely hold her excitement in when two of the Yautja bodies from chapter one are brought to her.

However, she is genuinely fascinated, not in a "mad scientist" way. She wants to actually communicate and understand these enigmatic creatures, yes, enigmatic. Yautja are described as elusive loners and the woman speculates that they only gather into large groups for social rituals or ceremonies and even for mating purposes, but that's her speculation. Despite knowing a bit of their language, humans still know squat all about the Predators. Speaking of language, the main Marine's ship computer (called "Frodo") mentions how its trying tot translate the Yautja signal but the dialect is so different that it can only guess it's a countdown, when asked how it knows, Frodo says "it's just a hunch".

The thing I liked is how terrified the humans in chapter one were, and rightfully so. Despite our advancements, the Yautja are still the boogiemen of space. While we "Monitor" their communications (which are very brief), the further we expand into space, the more they tend to notice us.

I personally think that Lebbon is treating the Yautja with a level of respect. He is not going over the top, he is treating it realistically and sensibly. So there's no instances of them doing ridiculous things like Hish are said to do.

However, one thing that is mentioned in the book is that when Yautja attack large population centres, they take captives, but for what purposes, we do not know. I suspect they might experiment on the captives. I am too early in the book to know, it might be told later on.

One of the Weyland-Yutani Thirteen executives contacts the scientist woman who is obsessed with Yautja and speaks to her about the bodies that she's been given to experiment on. He tells her to "think about" a scenario where the Predators truly attack us, and she said that "they're not like that, their society is not structured in such a way" and how there is a "honesty" to them that isn't presented in us humans to which the executive says that same honesty got a lot of people killed.

Also, one Colonial Marine who is a self proposed Yautja expert who has been fascinated ever since she was a kid (why are all the ladies fascinated with Yautja?  ;D) says that she joined the Marines because she was inspired by the Predator martial culture.

Another scientist woman is obsessed with historical encounters with Predators, she's the one who confirms that a Predator hunted in Stalingrad in 1943.
[close]

It's a fascinating book, I will be continuing tomorrow.

On the back of my book, I saw a glimpse of the covers of Alien: Invasion and Aliens vs Predator: Armageddon.

I'll describe them in the spoiler.

Spoiler
Alien: Invasion is of a Xenomorph looking in your direction as it lifts its left hand, almost as if inspecting something. There is a Xenomorph in the background as well and the general environment looks like it's in a hive.

Aliens vs Predator: Armageddon has an Alien and a Predator locked in combat, the background looks quite industrial and there's a bright yellow light coming from the middle.

I just noticed that on the cover art of Aliens vs Predator: Armageddon, the "Aliens" is written as "Alien", yet in the description on the back of my book, it's referred to as "Aliens vs Predator".
[close]

Has anyone else got Predator: Incursion early?

RakaiThwei

Sounds like Lebbon's Yautja more or less could be reconciled with Perry's Yautja but... I'm gonna wait and see what Guan Thwei posts up next in regards to this book. I mean I can see some similarities but to me, that's like trying to compare say.. I don't know.. Pre-Crisis Superman with Post-Crisis Superman. Or better yet.. Post-Crisis with New 52. I don't know. I'm trying to put my thoughts into words which make sense.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Oct 13, 2015, 05:55:17 PM
Sounds like Lebbon's Yautja more or less could be reconciled with Perry's Yautja but... I'm gonna wait and see what Guan Thwei posts up next in regards to this book. I mean I can see some similarities but to me, that's like trying to compare say.. I don't know.. Pre-Crisis Superman with Post-Crisis Superman. Or better yet.. Post-Crisis with New 52. I don't know. I'm trying to put my thoughts into words which make sense.

Another thing I think you may like.

Spoiler
Lebbon's Yautja blood helps heal wounds quickly and assists in regeneration. By regeneration, I don't mean Wolverine style. But it is a very good kind of healing system, the scientist has been studying Earth animals that regenerate in order to try and understand the Yautja accelerated healing.

Could this be a scientific reason as to why it gives long life to humans in the old EU that ate Predators?
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed