The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon

Started by Perfect-Organism, Nov 18, 2014, 10:44:01 PM

Author
The Rage War: A three part Alien / Predator epic by Tim Lebbon (Read 239,805 times)

Corporal Hicks

Aside from the Weyland issue I'm sure they can fit in there. However, Ridley has no intention of considering them part of his continuity.

Ultramorph

It's a shame that we still have a month to wait for this book. I might have to pick up the last few DHP Aliens novels to tide me over.

I just hope we don't get mole-people Arctutians or Larry the Giff!  :laugh:

SM

"Current" canon is:

Prometheus (including a lot of the "press" stuff)
Alien
Isolation
Out Of The Shadows
Aliens
River of Pain
Fire & Stone
Alien3
More Fire & Stone
Alien Resurrection
Sea of Sorrows (not referenced in WYR, but is a given)

Engineer

Quote from: SM on Aug 18, 2015, 10:17:09 PM
"Current" canon is:

Alien
Isolation
Out Of The Shadows
Aliens
River of Pain
Fire & Stone
Alien3
More Fire & Stone
Alien Resurrection
Sea of Sorrows (not referenced in WYR, but is a given)
Is this in order of events? I thought river of pain took place before the marines showed up in aliens (obviously, there's some overlap here). What about newt's tale? I remember hearing somewhere (podcast, maybe?) that the author of river of pain used elements from newt's tale because the added story components fit very well, and he didn't want to undo/contradict that...

What about original sin?

SM

Original Sin doesn't fit in light of things like Prometheus and Isolation.

River of Pain runs concurrent with the events in Aliens - but mostly happens in the time between the inquiry and the Sulaco leaving Gateway.

It does draw on Newt's Tale for some background and characters, but mostly goes in its own direction.

RakaiThwei

I know in another thread you mentioned that Fire and Stone vaguely references AvP (presumably the Blood Rite mark) and therefore AvP happened too but... Sebela did say he didn't consider the films to be canon with his story, so.. kind of tricky there, SM.

SM

I think I said that the WYR references AvP due to the fact that Fire & Stone has an AvP run.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 18, 2015, 10:17:09 PM

I remember you being the one shooting this down when it came out. Is this down to the inclusion of some aspects of the Timeline in the WYR?

QuoteSea of Sorrows (not referenced in WYR, but is a given)

I personally thought the downfall of the corporations as explained in WYR tied into the background given in Sea of Sorrows.

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2015, 04:28:40 AM
I think I said that the WYR references AvP due to the fact that Fire & Stone has an AvP run.

Indeed. There's absolutely no mention of the AvP films or other media in there. Just a mention of the Fire and Stone mission.

predxeno

Fire and Stone never references the AVP movies directly but it's obvious that it took inspiration from them the same way the Aliens and Predator arcs took inspiration from their respective franchises.

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't say that. It just uses the blooding mark which originally came from the first comic.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2015, 04:28:40 AMI think I said that the WYR references AvP due to the fact that Fire & Stone has an AvP run.

The report does mention a "Charles Weyland" as being a previous CEO of the company. I found that a bit strange because the report also makes it very clear Peter was the guy who set up the company in the mid-21st century, which would contradict AVP as the film otherwise suggests the company existed before it got founded.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 19, 2015, 07:05:06 AMI personally thought the downfall of the corporations as explained in WYR tied into the background given in Sea of Sorrows.

It does. Also, didn't Sea of Sorrows also mention a company report on the Xenomorph, ostensibly being the W-Y Report itself? I remember someone mentioning that on here.

SM

SM

QuoteI remember you being the one shooting this down when it came out. Is this down to the inclusion of some aspects of the Timeline in the WYR?

There's some obvious errors in the Weyland Timeline (mining distant planets before an FTL ship is built), but the WYR references things like hypersleep, FTL technology, androids, terraforming etc with dates that match the timeline.

QuoteI personally thought the downfall of the corporations as explained in WYR tied into the background given in Sea of Sorrows.

It does, but there's no direct reference to Sea of Sorrows as it occurs a long while after WYR.

QuoteThe report does mention a "Charles Weyland" as being a previous CEO of the company. I found that a bit strange because the report also makes it very clear Peter was the guy who set up the company in the mid-21st century, which would contradict AVP as the film otherwise suggests the company existed before it got founded.

I think that's an error.  It doesn't fit the context in which it's presented.

It does. Also, didn't Sea of Sorrows also mention a company report on the Xenomorph, ostensibly being the W-Y Report itself? I remember someone mentioning that on here.

I got the feeling it was talking about the WYR when I read it too.  I'll be re-reading SoS again shortly and will check.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2015, 08:35:46 AMI think that's an error.  It doesn't fit the context in which it's presented.

I kinda took it to be a little Easter egg, not necessarily meant to be literal. Kinda like how the V8 Interceptor turns up in a garage in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome even though it was blown to pieces in the previous movie. It's just there as an inside joke.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 19, 2015, 07:48:59 AM

I remember Rollins handing the Marines a classified file on the Xenomorphs, and it referred to them as "Xenomorph XX121", just as it apparently does in the W-Y report. She also mentioned that after they read it, the files would be wiped. Which implied that at the time of Sea of Sorrows (year 2497) the files were not accessible to the public.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 19, 2015, 08:35:46 AM
There's some obvious errors in the Weyland Timeline (mining distant planets before an FTL ship is built), but the WYR references things like hypersleep, FTL technology, androids, terraforming etc with dates that match the timeline.

So that seem more like specific elements of the publicity material is "canon" - just what's in the Timeline?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed