The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 464,660 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 08:42:42 PM
They are superb.

Sidenote

Spoiler

WHERE IN THE BLUE F**K DOES SHE KEEP GETTING UNSULLIED FROM?!!!
[close]

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 15, 2019, 08:44:23 PM
Right?

Spoiler
She started with what? 8000? Should be a fraction of that now
[close]

Spoiler
They multiply when wet.

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 15, 2019, 08:48:45 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 08:42:42 PM
They are superb.

Sidenote

Spoiler

WHERE IN THE BLUE F**K DOES SHE KEEP GETTING UNSULLIED FROM?!!!
[close]

Right?

Spoiler
She started with what? 8000? Should be a fraction of that now
[close]

Spoiler
They multiply when wet.

Spoiler
[close]
[close]

Spoiler

For an army devoid of reproductive organs, they do seem to multiply quickly
[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 08:46:58 PM
Right?

Spoiler
She started with what? 8000?
[close]

Spoiler
Something like that.  She lost a quite a few to the Sons of the Harpy, then the attack on Casterly Rock in season 7, then half at the batle of winterfell, then Eurons attack on the fleet, then the battle of Kings Landing.  Does GoT have respawn points as well as aimbots?
[close]

Spoiler
I would be surprised if those 8,000 were the first Unsullied soldiers. I would assume there have been thousands of Unsullied soldiers sold off for years before Dany's arrival. Did they liberate thousands of more to join Dany's campaign? There's nothing I recall in film story that hints to that, so that would be strictly a fan fiction theory, but I would think there had to be thousands of Unsullied soldiers elsewhere beyond just those 8,000.
[close]

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 15, 2019, 08:59:30 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 08:46:58 PM
Right?

Spoiler
She started with what? 8000?
[close]

Spoiler
Something like that.  She lost a quite a few to the Sons of the Harpy, then the attack on Casterly Rock in season 7, then half at the batle of winterfell, then Eurons attack on the fleet, then the battle of Kings Landing.  Does GoT have respawn points as well as aimbots?
[close]

Spoiler
That makes sense.  But all it would take is a throwaway line here and there to explain it.  It just seems like she has an endless supply of them, especially after the battle of Winterfell
[close]

Spoiler
I would be surprised if those 8,000 were the first Unsullied soldiers. I would assume there have been thousands of Unsullied soldiers sold off for years before Dany's arrival. Did they liberate thousands of more to join Dany's campaign? There's nothing I recall in film story that hints to that, so that would be strictly a fan fiction theory, but I would think there had to be thousands of Unsullied soldiers elsewhere beyond just those 8,000.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Spoiler
[close]

Naginata

Naginata

The more I think about it, the more I wish they'd have had more episodes to work with. So many of the problems I have with
Spoiler
Dany's development could have been solved by giving the story more room to breathe. I'm really curious to see how they end it, though; I don't see many options from here, but I'm hoping to be surprised.
[close]

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Naginata on May 15, 2019, 09:09:00 PM
The more I think about it, the more I wish they'd have had more episodes to work with. So many of the problems I have with
Spoiler
Dany's development could have been solved by giving the story more room to breathe. I'm really curious to see how they end it, though; I don't see many options from here, but I'm hoping to be surprised.
[close]

Spoiler
Dany's turn should have started to make appearances last season if they wanted to do her arc right, in my opinion.

But it's not just Dany. It's Arya. It's Cersei. It's Jamie. D&D screwed all the character arcs.  :'( 
[close]

LastSonofKrypton

Spoiler

[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 09:05:30 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
That makes sense.  But all it would take is a throwaway line here and there to explain it.  It just seems like she has an endless supply of them, especially after the battle of Winterfell
[close]

Spoiler
As the flurry of criticisms come charging towards D&D, I'm guessing they are in hindsight mode kicking themselves for not including a number of simple fixes, like your throwaway line example.

Countless films/shows do have a certain amount of 'let the viewer fill in the blanks.'  Cameron once made the point once you start explaining everything, you are no longer telling a story, you are now talking to the audience. So it's a judgment call that rides on a fine line whether a throwaway line adds value or distracts from the story telling.

But I think in this case, in light of a recurring replenishment of Unsullied soldiers steadily surfacing in audience view, a throwaway line would have added value to the story telling.
[close]

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 15, 2019, 09:29:21 PM
Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 09:05:30 PM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
As the flurry of criticisms come charging towards D&D, I'm guessing they are in hindsight mode kicking themselves for not including a number of simple fixes, like your throwaway line example.

Countless films/shows do have a certain amount of 'let the viewer fill in the blanks.'  Cameron once made the point once you start explaining everything, you are no longer telling a story, you are now talking to the audience. So it's a judgment call that rides on a fine line whether a throwaway line adds value or distracts from the story telling.

But I think in this case, in light of a recurring replenishment of Unsullied soldiers steadily surfacing in audience view, a throwaway line would have added value to the story telling.
[close]

Spoiler
You're right, one of the major problems with current tv and film is more often than not the writers and directors treat the audience as if they were idiots.  Even if you don't add the throwaway line, perhaps they could have written Greyworm informing them that a third of the Unsullied had died instead of half, to give themselves a little breathing room with the future battles.  Either way it seems to me that Dany has suddenly augmented her numbers with little to no explanation.  But this is a minor problem given the greater problems with the writing as a whole.  A lot of people are laying into D&D in some really nasty ways, and as a writer myself I can sympathise to some extent.  Mistakes are made, but the level of poor choices borders on either incompetence or a lack of care.  For starters, we should have had full seasons, not six or seven episodes, and to cover the amount of ground they needed to go as far as at least nine seasons.  What makes it worse is that they took an extra year out to work on this season, and the final product is severely lacking
[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 09:36:27 PM
Spoiler
You're right, one of the major problems with current tv and film is more often than not the writers and directors treat the audience as if they were idiots.  Even if you don't add the throwaway line, perhaps they could have written Greyworm informing them that a third of the Unsullied had died instead of half, to give themselves a little breathing room with the future battles.  Either way it seems to me that Dany has suddenly augmented her numbers with little to no explanation.  But this is a minor problem given the greater problems with the writing as a whole.  A lot of people are laying into D&D in some really nasty ways, and as a writer myself I can sympathise to some extent.  Mistakes are made, but the level of poor choices borders on either incompetence or a lack of care.  For starters, we should have had full seasons, not six or seven episodes, and to cover the amount of ground they needed to go as far as at least nine seasons.   
[close]

Spoiler
From articles I read along with other forums I participate, many viewers, including myself, see "Game of Thrones" as "My Game of Thrones." We viewers like to envision how the story will unfold. And My Game of Thrones went south the moment the Ice King was killed off so early. I had always thought the White Walkers conflict was going to be the grand finale.

Once I realized My Games of Thrones no longer exists, I'm more attentive to the criticism and yes, even praise for season 8. Much less so for episode 5. There's even praise by members here for season 8, but more for acting, cinematography, etc. and little to none for writing. I've enjoyed the series a great deal, but it's replay value has diminished for me.
[close]

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 15, 2019, 09:36:27 PM
Spoiler
What makes it worse is that they took an extra year out to work on this season, and the final product is severely lacking
[close]

Spoiler
I had forgot about that. Yea, that's sticking the blade in then twisting it. Not to mention, as I stated earlier regarding 'let the viewer fill in the blanks,' that gets a free pass.....if the viewer is expected to do so once or twice, maybe three times. But when the viewer is tasked with drumming up a whole gaggle of fill in the blanks for the story to work, that should have been a red flag for the writers.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

With only one more episode to wrap things up, how do you guys think the show will end?

Voodoo Magic

How will it end?

#NoTrust

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Shasvre on May 15, 2019, 10:20:27 PM
With only one more episode to wrap things up, how do you guys think the show will end?

There are strong clues as to who will come to sit on the Iron Throne

Spoiler

Spoiler
Jon, the Prince that was promised, kills Dany. That's all I've got.
[close]
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

I'd take Jar Jar over their actual pick at this point. :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed