The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 464,660 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Spoiler
Winter Is Coming report that RW happens in episode 9, and they have some pictures of crucifixions in Slavers Bay, and the Unsullied.
[close]

Shasvre

Shasvre

I don't think those guards were confimed as the Unsullied, but they still look pretty badass.

Gates

Gates

Quote from: m41guy on Oct 16, 2012, 11:11:46 PM
I know how you feel, I read books 2-5 in about 2 months during my downtime at work. I Held out from spoilers and glad I did.

I've only read the first two...I was introduced to this story via the show, as a result I've decided that I'll read each book after watching the corresponding season...my problem now is the third book is split into two seasons (correct me if I'm wrong here) so I won't be reading it for, what, another two years.!?

Suckage...

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Gates on Oct 17, 2012, 04:35:02 PM
I know how you feel, I read books 2-5 in about 2 months during my downtime at work. I Held out from spoilers and glad I did.

I've only read the first two...I was introduced to this story via the show, as a result I've decided that I'll read each book after watching the corresponding season...my problem now is the third book is split into two seasons (correct me if I'm wrong here) so I won't be reading it for, what, another two years.!?

Suckage...

Ha, I was in the exact same position, but I decided that I can't wait that long so I said f**k it and read the books. Currently reading A Dance With Dragons.

m41guy

m41guy

Quote from: That Yellow Alien on Oct 17, 2012, 05:35:17 PM
Quote from: Gates on Oct 17, 2012, 04:35:02 PM

Suckage...

Ha, I was in the exact same position, but I decided that I can't wait that long so I said f**k it and read the books. Currently reading A Dance With Dragons.

Exactly. I was also brought into it by the show also and couldn't wait. Finished a Dance with Dragons a couple of days ago lol.

Gates

Gates

I'm jeal...

I should just read them already...I'm currently trying to swallow Cloud Atlas as fast as I can before that comes out (I probably won't), then maybe return to these...there's never enough time...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The series in the books hit its apex in book three as far as I'm concerned.  The the other two books afterwards just felt like him moving the pieces in place for the finale..........without much going on.

It is the same thing that started happening in the Wheel of Time series.  Which also started off badass, and is one of the better pure fantasy titles.

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

Quote from: Kimarhi on Oct 18, 2012, 11:57:08 AM
The series in the books hit its apex in book three as far as I'm concerned.  The the other two books afterwards just felt like him moving the pieces in place for the finale..........without much going on.

Well, when you consider both AFFC and ADWD to be one long book split in half, its not too surprising, though I understand what you mean. Hopefully The Winds of Winter will bring down the house.

m41guy

m41guy

I agree with both of you. Reading AFFC was almost painful. ADWD was moderately better with some " Oh yeah, here we go!", moments with a little let down but rest left the stage ready for Winds of Winter...

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Don't care what everyone else says, Feast and Dragons are fantastic books. People just get put off by the massive change of pace.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Its not even really that, because Game of Thrones wasn't exploding with action every page.  I think its more that after you've spent three books with these characters, its a little off putting for them to take a back seat and a bunch of other motherf**kers show up
Spoiler
that don't even survive one story
[close]
that start stealing their limelight.

I get what he's trying to do.  Trying to introduce the rest of the world he created into what will be a final epic struggle, it just isn't as interesting as it was for the first three books.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

You referring to the stuff in Dorne and the Iron Islands? For me, those were some of my favourite passages.

m41guy

m41guy

I liked Dorne(other than the White Cloak guarding Mercella) and the Sand Snakes a lot, thought Dorne made for a very interesting setting and the people as well.  I also liked Asha's chapters and Victarion's after the Kingsmoot( Damphair really got on my nerves). 

I think yeah it was introducing an entire new plot midway through the series was what made it a pain.  I think at times I felt like I wasn't even reading the same series but I know and understand why it was written like this and oh my, Doran Martell really gets things going near the end of Feast... 

Michael Harper

Michael Harper

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Oct 19, 2012, 02:09:49 AM
Don't care what everyone else says, Feast and Dragons are fantastic books. People just get put off by the massive change of pace.

I read A Feast for Crows when it was first released, and I remember being EXTREMELY frustrated, that we really only got one part of the story, and had to wait for A Dance with Dragons to get the other part. I loved the book, no doubt, but it was frustrating. Then, A Dance with Dragons was released (six years later) and I loved it also. As I have said dozens and dozens of times, I think there is a very somber, eerie tone to both of the books... a calm before the storm.

Recently I found online the order to read the books in chapter wise, without reading them separately, and did it. And can say that the experience of reading it together as one massive story is far superior to reading them separately. Everything flows so much better, and things seem so much more epic!

I remember when reading A Feast for Crows thinking to myself, "Yeah, I quite enjoy Brienne's story, but I wanna follow this chapter with a Tyrion chapter. Or a Jon chapter. Etc." - when reading them as one, I never had that frustration.

I suggest to anybody considering doing a re-read, to read them this way.

Perhaps one day, maybe prior to the release of The Winds of Winter, George R.R. Martin may release a version that combines both A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons (even if it has to be released in two separate books - but, with both stories intertwined, rather than having them separate as they were originally published). But...I highly doubt it.

Gates

Gates

Real encouraging guys... :laugh:

But to be honest, I've heard these complaints before...just hoping that those new characters are as interesting as the others...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed