Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,698 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 18, 2017, 08:14:02 AM
Honestly, why would Fox not take that risk and release a third one?

Because, diminishing returns.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: windebieste on Sep 18, 2017, 08:14:02 AM
The combined takings for 'PROMETHEUS' and 'ALIEN: Covenant' exceed $600m.  There's no guarantee, but a third movie could possibly break the $1b mark.

Honestly, why would Fox not take that risk and release a third one? They have everything to gain and nothing to lose, even if a third movie just breaks even.

It's a safe bet Fox will approve of another 'ALIEN' movie in the current cycle, even if it just wraps it all up. 

-Windebieste.

This isn't how things work.

XENOMORPHOSIS

Got my DVD today. Unsure if the financial decline of Covenant compared to Prometheus may discourage Fox from making the 3rd Prequel film.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Sep 18, 2017, 04:51:38 PM
The film ending up around 240-250 million worldwide probably doesn't change much when you look at the domestic total. It underperformed heavily stateside which is the number studios care about most, unless it does huge numbers overseas.

Yeah that's the thing that sucks. Tbh I always felt Prometheus was a tad disappointing with its $125mill return against a $130mill budget (domestic) - because the hype was huge and it was during 3D's heyday. Of course it did tremendously well overseas. I mean 275mill for an R-rated sci-if is unprecedented.

Sci-fi horror just seems to get such a lukewarm reception stateside. Life wasn't great but I felt it deserved better numbers than it got.

Still, when all is said and done, Alien: Covenant is still the 2nd biggest global taker in the Alien franchise. I hope that counts for something when they decide what path the next film will follow.

Bluray

Bluray

Prometheus - $130 million
Covenant - $97 million (25% decrease)
Awakening - $73 (25% decrease)

I would gladly accept $70'ish million budgeted sequel. Bring back the practical suits too with limited to no cgi. Same, if not larger scope than Covenant could be achieved if we removed the money hogging cgi xenos.

0321recon

Quote from: Bluray on Sep 18, 2017, 08:18:19 PM

I would gladly accept $70'ish million budgeted sequel. Bring back the practical suits too with limited to no cgi. Same, if not larger scope than Covenant could be achieved if we removed the money hogging cgi xenos.

That's the route Fox should go for.

BishopShouldGo

If we're going to talk about downwards trends, let's talk about how if the next one is to follow suit, Covenant's sequel will only gross about $60 million worldwide.

Pack it up fellow fans, we're in for another dry spell.

Scorpio

Quote from: Bluray on Sep 18, 2017, 08:18:19 PM

Prometheus was shot in 3D which added 10 mil to the budget.

Also, Covenant was shot in Australia where they got millions in government grants.

Prometheus made more partly because 3D tickets are more expensive.

It's not always a simple "it made less money so it failed".

BishopShouldGo

Not always, but in this case it did fail.

Bluray

Bluray

I feel very late with these comments, (I mean who needs the millionth post about their thoughts on Covenant?), but I really want Sir Ridley to finish off this series and give us one more go in the Alien'verse.

I will preface by saying that I did not like Prometheus and was initially mixed on Covenant, but have grown to appreciate it a lot more especially as it was featured in a youtube CinemaWins video last week, which basically noted how major plotholes perceived by the casual filmgoer were in fact explained within the film's narrative. How well one accepts those explanations may be the ultimate deciding factor on whether you enjoyed the film or not, but I won't go into that debate.

What I do want to mention is how much I enjoy the world and atmosphere in every single one of Ridley's alien films. There's an immense attention to detail and sensibility that you don't get in modern blockbusters. When I think of Ridley Scott's style or approach, I imagine him in the league of Martin Scorcese. Not in terms of film output, but in terms of encyclopedic knowledge of filmmaking and the visual medium. And this vast knowledge is what gives us that unique sensibility that we just don't get in cookie cutter modern blockbusters. Ridley Scott is the last of the Greats. He just went for something different and it wasn't everyone's cup of tea.

I think of Covenant as being in the same vein as an 80's Carpenter film. It didn't do very well because audiences weren't expecting it, didn't get it or don't care for it. And at the moment, it'll be known as the "Fassbender robot" movie. But in time, when the dust settles, tastes change and when looked at as a whole, everyone will appreciate what it does differently and presents differently in the Alien'verse.

Other than that, I don't think of budget as a limiting factor for any possible Covenant sequel. If anything, I'd be pleased to see Ridley challenged with a lower budget and be forced to be very precise with executing a script that would allow him to wrap up expressing all the themes and ideas he had started in Prometheus.

At the moment I'm really looking forward to his next - All the Money in the World - and hopefully we get the Covenant sequel within the next couple of years.

Ridley is a remarkable film maker, but his films tell too much story, it took awhile before Covenant kicked into gear, Perhaps a different writer and director is needed, only though where would you go ? you differently don't want The Brothers Strause , how fox approved that Avp 2 script is beyond everyone.

Perhaps Prometheus sabotaged its own momentum with its dumb founded illogical moments that caused most viewers to have negative remarks in the first place, maybe Covenant didn't stand a chance ? I would say if predator preforms under expectations too, fox will put these two franchise's away for a decent decade.

darkvegett0

Hopefully fox ends these awful prequels...... Reboot the franchise and increase the budget and never again let ridly control anything in the alien universe please....

Evanus

Quote from: darkvegett0 on Sep 19, 2017, 08:35:20 PM
Hopefully fox ends these awful prequels...... Reboot the franchise and increase the budget and never again let ridly control anything in the alien universe please....
Well then thank god you're not in charge at Fox.  :laugh:

PsyKore

Quote from: darkvegett0 on Sep 19, 2017, 08:35:20 PM

If you're confident a reboot with a big budget would turn out good, then it's a safe gamble.

Darth Vile

Anybody who thinks that a reboot guarantees both a good and financially successful film needs to wake up and smell the coffee. Good/financially succesful reboots are not mutually exclusive, but they often tend to be hugely inferior products, even if they make the money.

Kane's other son

You say "Reboot", I hear "more of the same! More of the same!"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed