Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,693 times)

andyjaxx

andyjaxx

this is aimed at a adult audience not for little kids who will put them numbers up at box office, watching the usual marvel crud will always score better

Richman678

Quote from: Kane's other son on May 30, 2017, 05:04:35 PM
Quote from: Richman678 on May 30, 2017, 05:00:30 PM
Well you cant use "But it's well reviewed" as an excuse for why sales dropped dramatically. Pirates 5 is sitting at 31% rotten tomatoes meter...and its opening weekend blows A:C away...A:C wished it had that as an opening weekend in fact.

Pirates is a PG-13 kids movie, the fifth in a franchise that banks almost a billion dollars every time. Of course its opening weekend blew Covenant away.

Ah yes your correct I forgot about the PG-13 rating. That actually does make a difference. It will be interesting to see if this Pirates movie makes a billion.

Skywalker

Havent seen the T series so I cant comment on that. But as movies go all terminator movies past T2 are way inferior . I agree with what you said about overestimating their chances with what they set out to do . Taking the story to that territory with that kind of approach. Because whatever you do no matter how differnet Prometheus was at the end of the day its a movie in the alien universe and basically its an alien origins kind of movie.So people will watch the movie and start comparing that with the first movies and that is not in favor of the prequels..Still I believe its an anomaly that the film is performing this bad .

leeroy!

leeroy!

i am a little bit sad about this, i was a tiny bit disappointed with covenant but i also don't want it to end and fox just reboot it in 5-10 years! unlike most people i dont want an alien movie with tons of aliens and guys blasting them away... i want a bit more! 

dkwookie

Quote from: Kane's other son on May 30, 2017, 05:04:35 PM
Quote from: Richman678 on May 30, 2017, 05:00:30 PM
Well you cant use "But it's well reviewed" as an excuse for why sales dropped dramatically. Pirates 5 is sitting at 31% rotten tomatoes meter...and its opening weekend blows A:C away...A:C wished it had that as an opening weekend in fact.

Pirates is a PG-13 kids movie, the fifth in a franchise that banks almost a billion dollars every time. Of course its opening weekend blew Covenant away.

Totally, talk about apples and oranges. My Great Dane eats more than your cat...no sh&t Sherlock

Maybe if (Captain) Jack Sparrow was onboard the Covenant we would be looking at a 70 mill opening

gertee

gertee

I liked Alien Covenant, and from what I've read, most reviews are actually quite positive.

As for the money it's bringing in: this is no longer just about the box office like it was in the 80s or 90s.

It's a chapter in a long running franchise that makes money on an ongoing basis from lisencing deals, dvd (re)releases, etc. And in order to keep people interested in the merchandise, they revisit the series every so often with a new movie.

I'm sure Alien will continue, regardless of Covenant's final BO result.

N-Shifter

Why are people even entertaining the notion that there won't be another one? "Deserves to bomb" etc. You realize that if it bombs then that's it for a universe you're supposed to be a fan of? It doesn't matter if you love, loathe or feel "meh" about this movie, you should be wishing it well for the sole purpose of having an end to this prequel trilogy, you really want it to end on that cliffhanger?

There WILL be another one.

ESPILFIRE

ESPILFIRE

I thinkt we will have a sequel with a budget over 80%. Fox donĀ“t want to risk at this...

SuicideDoors

Quote from: N-Shifter on May 30, 2017, 05:53:39 PM
Why are people even entertaining the notion that there won't be another one? "Deserves to bomb" etc. You realize that if it bombs then that's it for a universe you're supposed to be a fan of? It doesn't matter if you love, loathe or feel "meh" about this movie, you should be wishing it well for the sole purpose of having an end to this prequel trilogy, you really want it to end on that cliffhanger?

I'd never wish for an Alien film to bomb; bit like hoping for your football team to lose cause you want the manager out or something. Alien: Covenant wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but boy did they f**king try. It was a lavish attempt at resurrecting the franchise from 20th Century Fox. If Tom Rothman was still at Fox we'd be on AvP4 by now with Uwe Boll's mum directing and your local college doing the practical effects.

Anakin21

Anakin21

Give us Alien 5 with Newt, Hicks and Ripley by Blomkamp or James Cameron!!!

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 30, 2017, 05:58:43 PM
Quote from: N-Shifter on May 30, 2017, 05:53:39 PM

I'd never wish for an Alien film to bomb; bit like hoping for your football team to lose cause you want the manager out or something. Alien: Covenant wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but boy did they f**king try. It was a lavish attempt at resurrecting the franchise from 20th Century Fox. If Tom Rothman was still at Fox we'd be on AvP4 by now with Uwe Boll's mum directing and your local college doing the practical effects.

Your absolutely right. Some people actually seem to be revelling in its failure for some reason

MrRipley

MrRipley

1 more to tie it to the original then leave it alone,we can't keep shelling out on more Box Sets or Quadrilogies anyhow.

kwisatz

Lol @ people claiming this film is well received. It has fallen under 7 at imdb and i personally know no one who actually enjoyed this fassbender show crap.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: kwisatz on May 30, 2017, 06:46:44 PM
Lol @ people claiming this film is well received. It has fallen under 7 at imdb and i personally know no one who actually enjoyed this fassbender show crap.

Well I thought it was fantastic and the majority on these boards enjoyed it at the very least as the poll proves

N-Shifter

Quote from: kwisatz on May 30, 2017, 06:46:44 PM

I haven't met anybody that didn't enjoy it, funny how that works right? People only seem to know people that agree with their point of view :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed