Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,688 times)

salomonj

salomonj

Quote from: PierreVW on May 23, 2017, 12:18:16 AM
I would prefer Sir Ridley Scott Directing ALIEN 5 with Sigourney Weaver very soon.

Neil Blomkamp is very overrated especially in AVP Forums.

The truth is Neil Blomkamp is very, very mediocre. He ISN'T capable of did a masterpiece like ALIEN or ALIENS.
District 9 was great, but everything else...not so much.

If Blade Runner 2049 turns out great, than Dennis Vill. NEEDS to hop on Alien 5.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/baywatch_2017

Baywatch off to a GREAT start on RT.

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 23, 2017, 12:19:55 AM
Quote from: salomonj on May 22, 2017, 09:12:13 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 22, 2017, 08:50:59 PM
Quote from: LiquidMonster on May 22, 2017, 08:42:09 PM
Probably just me but after watching Alien: Covenant yesterday, I felt more than ever that I wanted to see Sigourney Weaver fighting ALIENS in the Neil Blomkamp proposed film with Hicks an adult Newt and possibly Bishop one last time.

Ridley has let ALIENS influence him so much anyways now(with the xenomorph now super fast) compared to what we see from the xeno in "ALIEN" that he's gone off the track a bit. We get superfast, jumping xenos like we saw in ALIENS but it doesn't make sense backing into "ALIEN" where the xeno is very slow and methodical.

Fox and Scott should just let Blomkamp make his ALIEN film now since these movies seem all over the place now.

I'm probably one of the few who didn't like the neomorph, seeing their lifecycle, who made them, etc. I liked that I thought the Space Jockeys were creatures only to find out it was an engineer suit. I like that in ALIEN we don't know much of anything and that it's ok not to have everything explained to us.

Now it seem Ridley feels he has to tell the entire back story of how the "xenos" came to be and I just don't like it at all. The neomorph communicating with David was laughable. I just man......I really think Scott needs to walk away from the films now.

I am willing to bet that Scott will film the next movie in the timeline he has proposed, perhaps with some compromises brought down by the studio, and it will release near the 40th anniversary of Alien in 2019 (perfect time to connect the prequels directly into Alien). After that, I could see a push to get a Sigourney Alien film in production soon there after while she is still young enough. Most likely with colonial marines too...maybe the proposed Alien 5 or something similar but fit to meet a mass market appeal.
Im fine with Scott wrapping up the story in the next movie as long as it's like 3 hours long. I can't see it being any shorter without it being a rushed disaster.

I would love to see a Sigourney Weaver/Colonial Marines Alien film again. Hopefully we'll get it after Scott's done.

I agree the next week has to be very long to answer all of these questions. Like 'Lord of the Rings' long!
yes! This needs to be a Lord of the Rings trilogy! I feel that movies aren't made that long anymore, unless it's a Tarantino flick which is one of the reasons I love about him. There's nothing better than going to the cinema for a 3 hour film.

PierreVW

Quote from: salomonj on May 23, 2017, 12:20:22 AM
I would prefer Sir Ridley Scott Directing ALIEN 5 with Sigourney Weaver very soon.

The truth is Neil Blomkamp is very, very mediocre. He ISN'T capable of did a masterpiece like ALIEN or ALIENS.
District 9 was great, but everything else...not so much.

If Blade Runner 2049 turns out great, than Dennis Vill. NEEDS to hop on Alien 5.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/baywatch_2017

Baywatch off to a GREAT start on RT.

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 23, 2017, 12:19:55 AM
Quote from: salomonj on May 22, 2017, 09:12:13 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 22, 2017, 08:50:59 PM
Quote from: LiquidMonster on May 22, 2017, 08:42:09 PM
Probably just me but after watching Alien: Covenant yesterday, I felt more than ever that I wanted to see Sigourney Weaver fighting ALIENS in the Neil Blomkamp proposed film with Hicks an adult Newt and possibly Bishop one last time.

Ridley has let ALIENS influence him so much anyways now(with the xenomorph now super fast) compared to what we see from the xeno in "ALIEN" that he's gone off the track a bit. We get superfast, jumping xenos like we saw in ALIENS but it doesn't make sense backing into "ALIEN" where the xeno is very slow and methodical.

Fox and Scott should just let Blomkamp make his ALIEN film now since these movies seem all over the place now.

I'm probably one of the few who didn't like the neomorph, seeing their lifecycle, who made them, etc. I liked that I thought the Space Jockeys were creatures only to find out it was an engineer suit. I like that in ALIEN we don't know much of anything and that it's ok not to have everything explained to us.

Now it seem Ridley feels he has to tell the entire back story of how the "xenos" came to be and I just don't like it at all. The neomorph communicating with David was laughable. I just man......I really think Scott needs to walk away from the films now.

I am willing to bet that Scott will film the next movie in the timeline he has proposed, perhaps with some compromises brought down by the studio, and it will release near the 40th anniversary of Alien in 2019 (perfect time to connect the prequels directly into Alien). After that, I could see a push to get a Sigourney Alien film in production soon there after while she is still young enough. Most likely with colonial marines too...maybe the proposed Alien 5 or something similar but fit to meet a mass market appeal.
Im fine with Scott wrapping up the story in the next movie as long as it's like 3 hours long. I can't see it being any shorter without it being a rushed disaster.

I would love to see a Sigourney Weaver/Colonial Marines Alien film again. Hopefully we'll get it after Scott's done.

I agree the next week has to be very long to answer all of these questions. Like 'Lord of the Rings' long!
yes! This needs to be a Lord of the Rings trilogy! I feel that movies aren't made that long anymore, unless it's a Tarantino flick which is one of the reasons I love about him. There's nothing better than going to the cinema for a 3 hour film.

Villeneuve is Directing DUNE. Too busy.

Sir Ridley has 3 better projects: ALL THE MONEY IN THE WORLD, THE CARTEL and BATTLE OF BRITAIN. Maybe He chooses to leave this franchise.

But FOX DOESN'T have faith in Neil Blomkamp. That's why they cancelled his project.

Probably is going to be someone NEW.

cucuchu

Lets assume that Ridley is given the chance to finish out the prequels with one more movie and start shooting a little over a year from now like he said he was going to. When would we hear that it is confirmed? Sets would have to be built, actors/actresses hired, all that...so we would know by the end of the year?

BringbackJonesy!

I would have loved to have watched a 3D version of this on the big screen, as PROMETHEUS looked excellent in that format compared to certain other 3D releases.

While I've certainly got many issues with ALIEN COVENANT (and plan to re-edit it more to my liking along with PROMETHEUS), I know that many of Ridley's scenes would again have looked terrific in 3D.

For instance, GRAVITY had some of the most involving and effective 3D I've ever seen, and I kept thinking how good the COVENANT 'spacewalk' sequence would have looked in that manner too.

gantarat

bb-15

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 22, 2017, 12:56:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Gaurdians ends up pipping it to number 1 when the actuals are released....

Meanwhile it's been no 1 for two weekends here in the UK

The actuals show that "Covenant" is number 1 for the weekend in the US.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Next weekend in the US there is a holiday on Monday which should help AC a bit. 

Also AC will be released in China on June 16 which hopefully will get it about $30 million more world wide box office.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2316204/releaseinfo

("Resident Evil: Afterlife" made $21 million in China.)

* The key thing to realize imo is that science fiction / horror is not that popular a genre.
With US box office the only franchises which have made decent money in this category with sequels/prequels (not adjusted for inflation) are Alien and Resident Evil.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=scifihorror.htm

AC just needs to get to $100 million in the US which I think is still possible.

;)

gantarat

Problem is Covenant no "3D"

HarveyYan

Ridley Scott is awesome, looking forward to his next Alien movie.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: bb-15 on May 23, 2017, 04:15:38 AM
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Gaurdians ends up pipping it to number 1 when the actuals are released....

Also AC will be released in China on June 16 which hopefully will get it about $30 million more world wide box office.

* The key thing to realize imo is that science fiction / horror is not that popular a genre.
With US box office the only franchises which have made decent money in this category with sequels/prequels (not adjusted for inflation) are Alien and Resident Evil.

;)

I posted the actuals ages ago.

gantarat

Well,Resident Evil it's Heavy Action movies than Sci-Fi Horror Movies like Alien.

Robopadna

Quote from: bb-15 on May 23, 2017, 04:15:38 AM

;)

I have no idea where you are coming up with 100 million from. It also is going to have a hard time doing even that.

cucuchu

How does everyone think Covenant will hold up this weekend domestically? With the holiday weekend, I'm hoping for maybe 25 million...that is probably being too optimistic though. It will be losing screens to Baywatch and Pirates of the Caribbean...both reviewing poorly it looks like, but people will still probably flock to them in this country.

It didn't too hot WW this last weekend from the looks of it. I don't see it doing any better this weekend. So maybe 50 million total WW?

PierreVW

Quote from: cucuchu on May 23, 2017, 02:29:59 PM
How does everyone think Covenant will hold up this weekend domestically? With the holiday weekend, I'm hoping for maybe 25 million...that is probably being too optimistic though. It will be losing screens to Baywatch and Pirates of the Caribbean...both reviewing poorly it looks like, but people will still probably flock to them in this country.

It didn't too hot WW this last weekend from the looks of it. I don't see it doing any better this weekend. So maybe 50 million total WW?

PIRATES 5 has 33% in RT. Critics are killing it.

I think PIRATES 5 is going to flop. Remember PIRATES 5 costed 250 Millions. A: COVENANT costed only 97 Millions.

cucuchu

Quote from: PierreVW on May 23, 2017, 04:28:52 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 23, 2017, 02:29:59 PM

PIRATES 5 has 33% in RT. Critics are killing it.

I think PIRATES 5 is going to flop. Remember PIRATES 5 costed 250 Millions. A: COVENANT costed only 97 Millions.

I also do not see much enthusiasm for Pirates 5 here in the states at least. Actually I see more hype for Baywatch which critics are tearing apart even worse than Pirates 5. I suppose Covenant could do well this weekend but I just don't see it having the draw. The more I think about it, the more this franchise needs another Aliens type movie with some big names to get the general audience attention.

kwisatz

Yea, i prefer very, very mediocre over AC train wreck.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed