Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,693 times)

cucuchu

Quote from: LiquidMonster on May 22, 2017, 08:42:09 PM
Probably just me but after watching Alien: Covenant yesterday, I felt more than ever that I wanted to see Sigourney Weaver fighting ALIENS in the Neil Blomkamp proposed film with Hicks an adult Newt and possibly Bishop one last time.

Ridley has let ALIENS influence him so much anyways now(with the xenomorph now super fast) compared to what we see from the xeno in "ALIEN" that he's gone off the track a bit. We get superfast, jumping xenos like we saw in ALIENS but it doesn't make sense backing into "ALIEN" where the xeno is very slow and methodical.

Fox and Scott should just let Blomkamp make his ALIEN film now since these movies seem all over the place now.

I'm probably one of the few who didn't like the neomorph, seeing their lifecycle, who made them, etc. I liked that I thought the Space Jockeys were creatures only to find out it was an engineer suit. I like that in ALIEN we don't know much of anything and that it's ok not to have everything explained to us.

Now it seem Ridley feels he has to tell the entire back story of how the "xenos" came to be and I just don't like it at all. The neomorph communicating with David was laughable. I just man......I really think Scott needs to walk away from the films now.

I am willing to bet that Scott will film the next movie in the timeline he has proposed, perhaps with some compromises brought down by the studio, and it will release near the 40th anniversary of Alien in 2019 (perfect time to connect the prequels directly into Alien). After that, I could see a push to get a Sigourney Alien film in production soon there after while she is still young enough. Most likely with colonial marines too...maybe the proposed Alien 5 or something similar but fit to meet a mass market appeal.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: PierreVW on May 22, 2017, 08:50:43 PM
Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 22, 2017, 08:32:48 PM
Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 22, 2017, 08:25:40 PM
Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 22, 2017, 08:12:32 PM
And YAY for it staying at #1 :P

I genuinely didn't think it would. Especially since Guardians increased over it's estimates for two weeks in a row prior to this one. Maybe Covenant can gain some small momentum from being the number 1 movie in America before Pirates and Baywatch?

GOTG2 is such a forgettable film. Entertaining while it lasts but leaves no lasting impression afterwards. And its shtick with shitty comfort zone 70s music gets old really fast and it's not charming at all. :/

I don't really hate it, I had some good fun while watching it but I can't believe it's still printing money like no tomorrow.

I agree.

But ALL Marvel Disney movies are like these. FORGETTABLE. MEDIOCRE. I like them in the theaters but LOGAN(FOX Marvel) is better than ANY Marvel Disney movie ever.

Yes. Logan was special. Btw it shares one of the writers with Covenant.

salomonj

Quote from: cucuchu on May 22, 2017, 08:50:59 PM
Probably just me but after watching Alien: Covenant yesterday, I felt more than ever that I wanted to see Sigourney Weaver fighting ALIENS in the Neil Blomkamp proposed film with Hicks an adult Newt and possibly Bishop one last time.

Ridley has let ALIENS influence him so much anyways now(with the xenomorph now super fast) compared to what we see from the xeno in "ALIEN" that he's gone off the track a bit. We get superfast, jumping xenos like we saw in ALIENS but it doesn't make sense backing into "ALIEN" where the xeno is very slow and methodical.

Fox and Scott should just let Blomkamp make his ALIEN film now since these movies seem all over the place now.

I'm probably one of the few who didn't like the neomorph, seeing their lifecycle, who made them, etc. I liked that I thought the Space Jockeys were creatures only to find out it was an engineer suit. I like that in ALIEN we don't know much of anything and that it's ok not to have everything explained to us.

Now it seem Ridley feels he has to tell the entire back story of how the "xenos" came to be and I just don't like it at all. The neomorph communicating with David was laughable. I just man......I really think Scott needs to walk away from the films now.

I am willing to bet that Scott will film the next movie in the timeline he has proposed, perhaps with some compromises brought down by the studio, and it will release near the 40th anniversary of Alien in 2019 (perfect time to connect the prequels directly into Alien). After that, I could see a push to get a Sigourney Alien film in production soon there after while she is still young enough. Most likely with colonial marines too...maybe the proposed Alien 5 or something similar but fit to meet a mass market appeal.
Im fine with Scott wrapping up the story in the next movie as long as it's like 3 hours long. I can't see it being any shorter without it being a rushed disaster.

I would love to see a Sigourney Weaver/Colonial Marines Alien film again. Hopefully we'll get it after Scott's done.

Robopadna

I genuinely didn't think it would. Especially since Guardians increased over it's estimates for two weeks in a row prior to this one. Maybe Covenant can gain some small momentum from being the number 1 movie in America before Pirates and Baywatch?

GOTG2 is such a forgettable film. Entertaining while it lasts but leaves no lasting impression afterwards. And its shtick with shitty comfort zone 70s music gets old really fast and it's not charming at all. :/

I don't really hate it, I had some good fun while watching it but I can't believe it's still printing money like no tomorrow.

I agree.

But ALL Marvel Disney movies are like these. FORGETTABLE. MEDIOCRE. I like them in the theaters but LOGAN(FOX Marvel) is better than ANY Marvel Disney movie ever.

Really?  I really liked winter soldier and doctor strange.

Jonesy1974

I agree.

Sadly this is very true but people still flock to see them in droves and everyone of them seems to get good reviews for some reason. Every single one of them is exactly the same yet the very same critics accuse Covenant of being over familiar lol.  Logan is far superior, its a bold film just like Covenant and both should be applauded for being so.

Ingwar

I hope this movie flops. I don't want to see Scott butchering his legacy.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 09:23:36 PM

I agree.

I find them entertaining enough whilst watching them but instantly forgettable. Marvel just have a formula that they use for every film, its just so repetitive.

Robopadna

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 22, 2017, 09:31:11 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 09:23:36 PM

I agree.

I find them entertaining enough whilst watching them but instantly forgettable. Marvel just have a formula that they use for every film, its just so repetitive.

I mean I liked them and remember them. 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 07:16:56 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 22, 2017, 06:26:11 PM
R-Rated films typically do well on the home market. Dredd for example did exceptionally well but even that was not enough to garner any interest for a sequel.

Better than what?

Skyfall strangely enough. The Dredd and Skyfall BD were released on Amazon UK at just about the same time but Dredd managed to outsell it.

Pretty amazing considering Skyfall's box office haul was over a billion while Dredd struggled to get past $40 million. Couldn't believe it myself.

Robopadna

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 22, 2017, 10:17:46 PM
R-Rated films typically do well on the home market. Dredd for example did exceptionally well but even that was not enough to garner any interest for a sequel.

Better than what?

Skyfall strangely enough. The Dredd and Skyfall BD were released on Amazon UK at just about the same time but Dredd managed to outsell it.

Pretty amazing considering Skyfall's box office haul was over a billion while Dredd struggled to get past $40 million. Couldn't believe it myself.

Uhhhh skyfall made 100 million in physical media sales.  Dredd made 19 million.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 10:41:20 PM

Better than what?

The example I gave was from Amazon UK only. Obviously a different case in the US where Dredd is a relatively obscure IP. The point still stands that in comparison to Dredd's box office performance it fared much better on DVD/BD.

Compare your physical media sales figures to the respective box office haul of each film to see what I mean. Skyfall = 10% Dredd = 50%

Robopadna

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 22, 2017, 10:55:53 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 10:41:20 PM

Better than what?

The example I gave was from Amazon UK only. Obviously a different case in the US where Dredd is a relatively obscure IP. The point still stands that in comparison to Dredd's box office performance it fared much better on DVD/BD.

Compare your physical media sales figures to the respective box office haul of each film to see what I mean. Skyfall = 10% Dredd = 50%

I mean all that matters is total sales.  I think its somewhat a factor of the box office being so high for one and 100 million being such a huge amount...   more of a ceiling/floor effect than anything in particular.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 10:59:48 PM
I mean all that matters is total sales.  I think its somewhat a factor of the box office being so high for one and 100 million being such a huge amount...   more of a ceiling/floor effect than anything in particular.

Yes, I agree total sales is what matters in the end. I'm just trying to illustrate the known fact that R-Rated films often fare better in the home market compared to their box office run even if they make less $. Box Office is still the most important factor but all the other little revenue streams like DVD/BD, broadcasting rights, streaming services, rental etc. can still contribute quite a bit towards the film's total haul.

PierreVW

I would prefer Sir Ridley Scott Directing ALIEN 5 with Sigourney Weaver very soon.

Neil Blomkamp is very overrated especially in AVP Forums.

The truth is Neil Blomkamp is very, very mediocre. He ISN'T capable of did a masterpiece like ALIEN or ALIENS.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: salomonj on May 22, 2017, 09:12:13 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 22, 2017, 08:50:59 PM

Im fine with Scott wrapping up the story in the next movie as long as it's like 3 hours long. I can't see it being any shorter without it being a rushed disaster.

I would love to see a Sigourney Weaver/Colonial Marines Alien film again. Hopefully we'll get it after Scott's done.

I agree the next one has to be very long to answer all of these questions. Like 'Lord of the Rings' long!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed