Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,693 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Dkwookie on May 19, 2017, 02:45:35 AM
When Dredd was released Alex Garland said if it hits 50 million in the US it's a hit. The budget on that film was 30 million or so. It flopped big time but he gave a good insight into what investors look for, not studio suits.
Anyone looking at budget vs box office should look into that film

No, he said that 50 million would be the minimum it would need to make in the US in order to have a faint glimmer of hope for a sequel. Anyway, Dredd is not a good comparison because it wasn't a typical Hollywood studio movie like Covenant. It was essentially an indie movie. Lionsgate only purchased distribution rights for the US. Each international territory had it's own distributor and a good chunk of the funding came from India.

Quote from: Robopadna on May 19, 2017, 10:46:48 AM
Dredd isn't unusual. The film had a tiny marketing budget. If it did 50 in the us then it would do comparable over seas and financially it would have pretty much broken even before taking anything into account.

Also the writer isn't who you want to be leaning on to tell you financials. Most people involved don't know and never are told costs. Why would they be?  Their job is to make a good movie and not worry about how much money is or isn't made.

Alex Garland was also one of the producers and essentially the director as well for all intents and purposes. He had a vested interest in Dredd's box office performance.

GQSioux

From Box Office Mojo:

Alien: Covenant delivered $4.2 million from Thursday night previews, which began at 7PM at ~3,000 locations. This compares favorably to Mad Max: Fury Road, which brought in $3.7 million on Thursday night before opening with $45.4 million. In fact, this is a better preview result than 2012's Prometheus, which brought in $3.6 million ahead of its $51 million opening weekend.

Lexxdog

Lexxdog

Just back from watching the move 😞😞 it's not that it a bad movie it's just not what I wanted it not what we should have got and it not how thing should have turned out as far as I'm concerned this is not a ALIEN movie there is only one ALIEN everything is dose not count (I don't think I will brother with alien awaking our what ever Ridley desides 2 shit

Robopadna

Quote from: Lexxdog on May 19, 2017, 07:49:16 PM
Just back from watching the move 😞😞 it's not that it a bad movie it's just not what I wanted it not what we should have got and it not how thing should have turned out as far as I'm concerned this is not a ALIEN movie there is only one ALIEN everything is dose not count (I don't think I will brother with alien awaking our what ever Ridley desides 2 shit

There were lots of aliens. And alien only had one alien. So is that not an alien movie?

SuicideDoors

http://deadline.com/2017/05/alien-covenant-diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-everything-everything-box-office-previews-1202097673/

Hmmmm so so figures. Not a flop but reaffirms Alien as a steady if unspectacular box office draw. Was really really hoping to see it open above $40mill. I'm convinced the actual figures will be below.

Look into my eye

Depends where you get your facts from I suppose.
According to this, and other websites, it did better than what Deadline is reporting.

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/box-office-alien-covenant-guardians-everything-everything-1202437248/

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Look into my eye on May 20, 2017, 08:13:18 AM
According to this, and other websites, it did better than what Deadline is reporting.

http://variety.com/2017/film/box-office/box-office-alien-covenant-guardians-everything-everything-1202437248/

Deadline has the first Friday figures, everywhere else is going off the Thursday night screenings.

fiveways

Half way down there is this little piece of information which i think is super important:

"The opening will be about 18% below that of "Prometheus," which grossed $51 million domestically when it launched on June 8-10, 2012".  18% drop off is pretty sizable.

Gazz

Sure but it also cost a sizeable amount less to make than Prometheus. 

Feeds On Minds

This film deserves to flop.
This series deserves a better film.

shawsbaby

shawsbaby

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on May 20, 2017, 12:50:36 PM

If this flops, the series won't get another film for a long, long time.

Feeds On Minds

If that means we won't get yet another disappointing poorly written mediocre insult to a once great series; I'm completely on board with that.

Aquarius8

"Alien" is a "Horror" franchise even though it's Sci-Fi.   It's box office must be compared along those lines of Horror.  Plus it's R-rated.   I believe it's the highest grossing Horror Franchise of all time.   It seems "Covenant" is going to drop from "Prometheus", but worldwide it may still keep numbers respectable. 

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: fiveways on May 20, 2017, 12:29:49 PM

Half way down there is this little piece of information which i think is super important:

"The opening will be about 18% below that of "Prometheus," which grossed $51 million domestically when it launched on June 8-10, 2012".  18% drop off is pretty sizable.

Not if it matches the drop in budget. Will need to see how it all pans out in WW box office. I don't think it will flop but I also don't think it will be very profitable.

Quote from: shawsbaby on May 20, 2017, 01:09:23 PM
Quote from: Feeds On Minds on May 20, 2017, 12:50:36 PM

If this flops, the series won't get another film for a long, long time.

I sincerely doubt it will flop badly and will at leadt break even. Regardless, it seems Ridley Scott is intent on finishing this prequel series out and said they will be filming in a year or so from now. Whether Fox is on board is another thing, and they may have to force Ridley to make some compromises.

Spidey3121

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/20/box-office-alien-covenant-tops-friday-with-15m-diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-bombs/?c=0&s=BoxOffice

I highly recommend Scott's daily round-up's. Yes, it looks like Alien Covenant is headed for ~$40 mil which is in line w/ most pre-release expectations, for better or worse.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed