Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe

Started by Omega1, Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM

Author
Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe (Read 27,143 times)

OWLF

OWLF

Quote from: SiL on Apr 15, 2012, 12:14:38 AM
Considering literally every similarity you just listed has been featured in sci-fi for the last God-knows how many decades, singling out Mass Effect is kind of silly. It's just the loudest and most recent; it's hardly unique.
I´m not trying to be "unique" here,I´m just stating the obvious.They do look very similar to the Mass Effect suits,more so than any other I have seen before in any sci-fi movie or game in recent times or past.

Deuterium

Deuterium

Aliennaire posted this back in January:

Quote from: aliennaire on Jan 07, 2012, 09:59:07 AM
I probably should bid excuse for reviving this thread after it's been dormant since the middle of December, but I know there once have been discussed bio/space suits, which Prometheus' crew is clad in, so when I lucked upon the next pictures, I thought they would be interesting for someone out there to take a look at.

They go in juxtaposition of two films' photos:

The first half, as you can see, is the picture off Prometheus, the next one to it is the image, taken out of Voyage to the prehistoric planet (or source Russian film Planet of storms ) of 1965 (1961) correspondingly!

You can espy here the same transparent (glass-like) helmet with the solid base around the neck and at the back of the head area, more or less tight-fitting costume, waist belt with gears attached to it, chest plates... I find it quite stunning, that idea of snug space suit like this was unveiled so far back in time and is not new itself, I assume the difficulties of its implementation (lack of due material, technology, etc.) hampered the creation of the similar spacesuits in real life, maybe we will see them soon to be actually built ;)

Looks almost like a blending of Mass Effect "skin-suit" EVA type space-suit and the styling from the 1960s Russian sci-fi film.

OpenMaw

There are suits that have been around for a couple years now that are basically skin-tight suits, but they wouldn't work in a no atmosphere environment. They'd work for a place like Mars though.

Here they are:
http://mvl.mit.edu/EVA/biosuit/index.html

Deuterium

Deuterium

Quote from: OpenMaw on Apr 15, 2012, 12:56:23 AM
There are suits that have been around for a couple years now that are basically skin-tight suits, but they wouldn't work in a no atmosphere environment. They'd work for a place like Mars though.

Here they are:

Great minds think alike:   ;)

Quote from: Deuterium on Nov 25, 2011, 11:08:36 AM
Just thought I might chime in on the issue regarding the "ergonomic" Prometheus spacesuits.  In fact, this isn't Science Fiction, it is Science Fact, and it is here now.   Courtesy of M.I.T., it is in protoype and proof of concept testing phase.  It is a skin-suit that is revolutionary.  Instead of traditional space-suits that are pressurized (think Michelin tire man), which results in an unwieldy, bulky suit which makes movement difficult and fatiguing...the EVA / Bio-Suit under development uses mechanical counter-pressure to protect the astronaut.

Here is a link to the MIT page that details the prototype suit:

Predaker

Quote from: REDDEVIL on Apr 15, 2012, 12:09:27 AM
"Inspired".Not that they actually are the same suits.They obviously have many things in common(collar,shoulder pads,belt,body-form-fitting,color..)and it isn´t that far fetched that they may have gotten some inspiration from Mass Effect.
There is a correlation in inspiration but not influence. Prometheus draws from similar inspirations and that is where it ends basically.

x-M-x

The Alien franchise is OLDER than Mass Effect...

so this thread is pointless...

unless mass effect was a book written in the 60's... then meh lol

ThisBethesdaSea

Science Fiction and space suits and space ships are older then Mass Effect. NEXT. Pointless.

Omega1

Omega1

Quote from: x-M-x on Apr 15, 2012, 01:28:00 AM
The Alien franchise is OLDER than Mass Effect...

so this thread is pointless...

unless mass effect was a book written in the 60's... then meh lol

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 15, 2012, 04:36:54 AM
Science Fiction and space suits and space ships are older then Mass Effect. NEXT. Pointless.

My goodness, I am not getting through to you at all?! I was not saying the "Alien/Aliens" universe tech looks like the Mass Effect universe's tech, they are completely different themeatically, both in design and technology!

What I am trying to get through to you is that the designs in Prometheus have more in common with the designs from Mass Effect than they do from the Alien/Aliens universe. Both Mass Effects and the Alien/Aliens designs are vastly different from each other, and no I do not see how the designs from Mass Effect look "inspired" from those of the Alien/Aliens universe. The way you are making it sound is as if all "space sci fi" design concepts look alike to you, talk about a mind numbing statement.

Mass Effect's design has a very dull, bland, boring and most of all sterile look to it. Oh sure some might call it "sleek", but to me the lack of detail to it doesn't automatically make it sleek.

Just because Prometheus is set in the Alien (or is claiming to be) universe, doesn't automatically make them look consistent to one another.

This is exactly what happened with the Star Wars prequels, the design and functionality looked/worked completely different to that of the Star Wars originals. Mhm yeap people pulled out the same old excuse of "no, it just looks more sleeker, so your opinion is wrong", and don't even get me started on the damn midichlorians BS which ruined the concept of the force completely!

Prometheus's and Mass Effect's designs not only looked similar, but they were presented in almost the exact same way (background, design, camera angle)!

I am also sick of seeing spaceships and such done in CGI when it looks a whole lot less convincing than miniature models, not to mention CGI is a whole lot more expensive (talk about your lose/lose scenario). Remember from such movies such as "2001 A Space Odyssey", "Star Wars (originals)", "Alien", "Aliens", "Alien 3" and yes even "Alien Resurrection", the visuals looked so much more unique, convincing and real looking (yes they are all inspired by something, but done right) than any expensive cartoon CGI you'll see in movies today. Just because it is "up to date" doesn't automatically make it better.

Final summation is that overall there are many factors that play into the resemblance of Prometheus's designs to that of Mass Effect's designs, from it's presentation to the expensive cartoon CGI, and yes even Ridley Scott confirmed in a rather odd way no less!
If you don't see it then so be it, I can accept that no problem, I just find it stupid when people don't seem to understand a fairly simple concept being shown forth to them. It is funny when Ridley states "grunge" is over done nowadays, when in fact it is quite the opposite, seeing nothing but bland, boring, sterile cartoon CGI than anything else.
I already had/have a difficult time with the concept of the movie being shot in the illusion of "3-D" (which is the worst thing to happen to movies since the Star Wars prequels), but at least I can opt to see it in "2-D".

Prometheus has a lot to live up to, here's to "hoping" it doesn't ruin the Alien franchise even more so than it is now (if that is even possible).

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Apr 14, 2012, 10:20:13 PM
and are form-fitting for some reason.

inb4sweeper by the way.
Not sure what you expected my response to be, but here's something:

Horseshyiet.

Mass Effect's designs are inspired by both oldschool sci-fi (let's call that Star Trek) and modern sci-fi (let's call that Star Trek '09). Clearly, so is Prometheus, but comparing these two is hilariously... off.

First of all, you're just another person complaining that the movie's look isn't grungy enough for you, based off of previous installments, so that's nothing special; give it up. Another, the comparisons you've shown are completely petty; the main comparison drawn from the ship designs is colour scheme, the comparison between the all-terrain APCs... are the fact that they're both all-terrain APCs. The characters? They've got red hair, a collar, and belt.

Omega1, please. As a large appreciator of both franchises (which, failing on the side of Mass Effect, you clearly are not), these comparisons don't equate to anything substantial. Mass Effect has drawn inspiration from Alien and Aliens, mostly thematic for some scenarios, but the art design connection just isn't there.

So here you are grabbing at straws to support your complaint about a lack of grit. Can we just move along?

Quote from: Omega1 on Apr 15, 2012, 07:45:30 AM
This is exactly what happened with the Star Wars prequels, the design and functionality looked/worked completely different to that of the Star Wars originals. Mhm yeap people pulled out the same old excuse of "no, it just looks more sleeker, so your opinion is wrong", and don't even get me started on the damn midichlorians BS which ruined the concept of the force completely!
Wow, you're still going on about that too? Maybe my plea for you to move on was asking a bit much.

ThisBethesdaSea

1. The difference with Star Wars is that what's wrong with those films aren't their design, it's their story and execution. Bad comparison.

2. Aside from the exterior of the Prometheus ship......I see Scott's Alien universe absolutely realized. Visually it's spot on.cleaner yes, but the scenes in the temple/caves, and on the derelict clas ship SCREAM alien design.

3. Prometheus looks more like A L I E N then any other alien sequel in my opinion.

4. This on you buddy.

Space Sweeper

Exactly.

Can we, you know, lock this? It's just a pointless variation of an old and shriveled complaint.

jeremy_ray

Let's not lock this.

Quote from: Omega1 on Apr 15, 2012, 07:45:30 AM
My goodness, I am not getting through to you at all?! I was not saying the "Alien/Aliens" universe tech looks like the Mass Effect universe's tech, they are completely different themeatically, both in design and technology!

I agree with you.  The use of color and texture on the Prometheus vehicles does resemble Mass Effect.  Not just Mass Effect, because ME is far from original, but it's a good example.  It's bizarre to see Ridley decide "Well, I'm tired of grunge, so I'm going to be original by being different in the same way as everyone else not doing grunge.  I'll make my vehicles squeeky clean and colorful!"  It was a cool idea when George Lucas did it, although the implementation of the idea usually left a lot to be desired.  It's not remotely original anymore.  More like, it's time for grunge to make a comeback.     

And then the coloration and shapes of the Prometheus vehicles seem so uninformed and removed from reality.  Like a concept artist designing from concept art he'd seen a concept artist copy from another concept artist.  Is that the Countach side window on the RT-01?  How is it useful to the driver to have that little roll-down window insert there?  And isn't it a little silly for it to have lambo doors?  Why is only the nose of the Prometheus aerodynamic?  What is up with the silver/black/orange color scheme?  With it being the flagship vessel of the Weyland corporation, I'd expect it to be decorated more like a commercial jet.  With a prominent display of the Weyland logo.  Look at what's on the side of the Falcon 9 rocket - a big "Space X" logo.  The paint scheme they're giving us looks more Ralph McQuarrie than reality.

The thing about the Alien/Aliens vehicles is that they looked like things people would actually build.  The Prometheus vehicles look like a 2nd tier concept artist mashed shapes together and gribbled them, with neither a good eye for reality or design.  It's a shame because the Aliens universe has had some of the best vehicle designs in film (Narcissus/Sulaco/Drop Ship/Betty/APC/etc).  Nothing I've seen so far is half as cool. 

ThisBethesdaSea - Sorry, the design work in the Star Wars prequels largely blew.  It did have a few good pieces, but mostly it failed to live up to the originals, where nearly every detail you looked at rocked.

Vepariga

You will always find similarities in science-fiction. no differance here.

Space Sweeper

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Omega1 on Apr 15, 2012, 07:45:30 AMMy goodness, I am not getting through to you at all?! I was not saying the "Alien/Aliens" universe tech looks like the Mass Effect universe's tech, they are completely different themeatically, both in design and technology! [...]

It's a necessity of design that the tech in Prometheus keeps up with contemporary expectations. This isn't a 'retro' film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed