A Return to Giger's Alien Design?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 02, 2016, 07:44:08 AM

Author
A Return to Giger's Alien Design? (Read 3,114 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

So...I think we know we'll seeing transparent Alien skulls in Covenant!  ;D

Quote@tyrannojones Which of the heads do you prefer? Ribbed or the translucent dome?

@_kemosh_ Translucent, but I'm not allowed to use them :/ So I've gone kinda half way - basically took the dome off and got rid of the skull

@tyrannojones Ah damn, did they give you a reason why? Not that I "hate" the ribbed heads I just always prefered Giger's original design.

@_kemosh_ Covenant related... ;)

https://twitter.com/tyrannojones/status/738015456083120128

whiterabbit

Another one of the idea's Ridley wasn't able to incorporate back in 79. Thanks to a better budget, better tech and effects, the long wait will totally be worth it. :)

I wonder... would he dare do the box alien too?

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 02, 2016, 07:57:33 AM
So...I think we know we'll seeing transparent Alien skulls in Covenant!  ;D

Quote@tyrannojones Which of the heads do you prefer? Ribbed or the translucent dome?

@_kemosh_ Translucent, but I'm not allowed to use them :/ So I've gone kinda half way - basically took the dome off and got rid of the skull

@tyrannojones Ah damn, did they give you a reason why? Not that I "hate" the ribbed heads I just always prefered Giger's original design.

@_kemosh_ Covenant related... ;)

https://twitter.com/tyrannojones/status/738015456083120128

I'm confused.......what would this look like?

Corporal Hicks

Something like this with the transparency a bit more obvious.

T Dog

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 02, 2016, 11:55:09 AM

Something like this with the transparency a bit more obvious.
So cool. But basically the original Giger design then?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I would assume. But I don't know about the body, just that perhaps we're going back to the clear dome but that we might actually see it on screen this time around.

Perfect-Organism

It is interesting, but we may all find that the alien with the human skull doesn't look quite right.  Having eye sockets really made the newborn in AR look silly.  I really think that was its biggest issue.  The fact that the alien has no eyes is one of its main distinguishing features from a plethora of monsters out there.  It's all about the teeth.

Then again, including the skull to show a connection with human DNA might be cool..  But it ceases to be alien I that case.

426Buddy

I think what they mean is the skull will be there like it was in Alien, maybe slightly more visible.

Perfect-Organism

Anybody know if that was a real skull or a replica?  It would be an odd way for an actor to play a part in a movie after dying..

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 02, 2016, 01:49:26 PM
Anybody know if that was a real skull or a replica?  It would be an odd way for an actor to play a part in a movie after dying..

Pretty sure it was a real one. I'll double check.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 02, 2016, 01:43:15 PM
I think what they mean is the skull will be there like it was in Alien, maybe slightly more visible.

Yeah, that's my thinking.

Yep, real skull:

"The plaster shop took a full cast of the actor, full body cast and mounted it standing up on its toes on a wooden base and Giger put it into his studio and he began to build up on it with clay and bones, an air conditioning duct, screws, and human skulls – the face of the thing is a real human skull. He took the skull and jammed it right on the front, riveted it in place, and then started modifying it ..."

https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/the-eighth-passenger/

Perfect-Organism

No way!  Do they actually know who that used to be?  Creepy!

Corporal Hicks

Not that I know of.

426Buddy

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 02, 2016, 04:23:10 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 02, 2016, 02:16:37 PM
No way!  Do they actually know who that used to be?  Creepy!

His girlfriend.

I thought he had her skeleton hanging in the entrance to his home?

CainsSon

CainsSon

That early concept art that was released a few weeks back (that 'Got the artist the job'); both images depicted the alien with the human skull prominent - most notable - IN FRONT of the dome.

That also ties into the description of the Alien in the Spaihts script where he describes the skull as being easy to ascertain behind a thin layer of skin. I have a feeling we are in for an interesting new proto-Alien design and if Spaihts ideas make it in (sexburster), I'd love to see the version of the Alien that can squeeze itself through things, like encephlopods (spelling?).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed