Exclusive: New Prometheus Trailer Footage

Started by ikarop, Nov 26, 2011, 08:39:19 PM

Author
Exclusive: New Prometheus Trailer Footage (Read 160,721 times)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Nov 29, 2011, 10:56:57 PM
Still, Ripley didn't knock the alien on the head or stick a shotgun in its mouth.
She never got close enough to stick anything in its mouth until the finale, where she was armed with ... an eject button, really. Nobody involved with Alien ever said that the Alien couldn't be tussled with, injured, killed, etc. In fact, the Alien screams like a bitch when it's sprayed by steam, and the harpoon blows its ass out of the doorway, embeds itself in the Alien's chest cavity, etc.

QuoteShe outsmarted it, and only just barely.
I wouldn't even say she outsmarted it. She's lucky the Alien didn't flip out of the wall and tear her head off. The Alien's own lethargy saw to its demise.

QuoteIt never sat well with me that guns could kill it.
I understand that, but, well, "guns will kill anything" - Dan O'Bannon.

QuoteBy allowing that you demote the alien to cannon fodder and then need vast numbers of them for there to be any major threat. It makes for a great movie, but ultimately fouls up the alien concept from the original film IMO.
I think that if anything's up against high-grade military power, then you're gonna need numbers. Considering that the Marines were utterly wiped out in two brief encounters, I think they did hold up pretty well. The Marines were castrated almost immediately, even when they ignored the no-firing order. The original Alien concept was haunted house in space, really. I don't have a problem with the series 'evolving' but I can understand why people who lived with the original movie for 7 years to mayhaps feel put off. O'Bannon, Giger, Scott, etc were all happy with Aliens, funnily enough. It's all IMO, really!  :laugh:

QuoteRegarding origins, wasn't it O'Bannon's original idea that the alien we saw was just an adolescent of an advanced race that would, after going through its aggressive 'reptilian' stage, evolve into something reasonable and civilized? The Space Jockey was just some poor sod who stumbled upon its eggs. Not sure what Scott thought of this idea - I remember that on one of the commentaries he talks about the Derelict as 'bomber' with the aliens as the 'bombs'; the alien integrating itself into a population, eventually completely replacing it. This infers that the Space Jockey somehow 'owns' the species, having either created or enslaved it.

Yeah, that's right. It's all in here, etc: http://alienseries.blogspot.com/2011/01/crafting-perfect-organism.html
8)

SiL

SiL

QuoteI think that if anything's up against high-grade military power, then you're gonna need numbers
This is a mentality I sorely disagree with. There are plenty of ways the Aliens could get around the firepower without overwhelming numbers. We could've had the guns and a smaller cast of Aliens, or at least, Aliens that weren't disposable.

But that's my taste when it comes to monsters. The first one set up an interesting creature, the second just gave us funny-shaped running zombies. They were frightening as a horde, but uninteresting alone.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Nov 29, 2011, 11:10:16 PM
QuoteI think that if anything's up against high-grade military power, then you're gonna need numbers
This is a mentality I sorely disagree with. There are plenty of ways the Aliens could get around the firepower without overwhelming numbers. We could've had the guns and a smaller cast of Aliens, or at least, Aliens that weren't disposable.

But that's my taste when it comes to monsters. The first one set up an interesting creature, the second just gave us funny-shaped running zombies. They were frightening as a horde, but uninteresting alone.
I was speaking generally, so when I said "you're gonna need numbers," I mean, "it's preferable to be a plurality," whether that's simply two Aliens, or a horde. I understand it's your taste, I don't feel anyone's wrong here :) I found the wall of Aliens to be terrifying, and the Queen provided the sole-Alien-to-look-at thing.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 29, 2011, 11:06:14 PMYeah, that's right. It's all in here, etc: http://alienseries.blogspot.com/2011/01/crafting-perfect-organism.html

Haha, I just made the connection. That's were I read it! Love your site.

-Chris.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Nov 29, 2011, 12:48:17 PM
The Queen fouled it up IMHO, just in the way that you said; there is no threat. A single alien becomes a snarling, drooling 'eat-my-shotgun' joke.

I wouldn't call that scene by the APC a joke... Came across as very threatening - and the addition of a Queen would have absolutely no effect on whether a director wants to do that.

It's also worth noting that scene happened before the audience realised the concept of a Queen was even included. :)

QuoteYou can have whole armies of them, and they still suck. The Queen is a brilliant movie monster, but the original alien is more than just a monster; it's a nightmare... we were never meant to understand it, and never meant to be able to kill it.

The Queen detracts from none of that. Her purpose is merely to breed and, possibly, co-ordinate tactics (although, whether that's collectively or only extends to what goes on in teh room she's based, who knows?). Aliens are perfectly capable of being disturbing and all the rest of it.

QuoteThe fear factor in ALIENS owes so much to what the original film created; that unimaginable horror that would occur if an alien ever got its claws into you (poor dear Lambert). But ALIENS dumbed that down... I remember the first time I saw the sequel being properly thrilled but ultimately disappointed that all of the victims were neatly gathered up and cocooned to make for more aliens, to capture more humans, to make more aliens, to capture more humans... all for a giant Queen alien that Ripley could of one-shotted if she had only aimed her grenade launcher a bit to the left.

And you're saying the Nostromo Alien would've, what...? Survived? :)

Truthfully, I always found the Nostromo creature to be far too slow and pondering. Some make a case for it somehow being more intelligent (which usually involves ignoring examples of intelligence in the sequel, which are just as valid), but all 'Aliens' does is basically say, hey, if they could have shot that Alien, it would've gone boom. Nothing wrong with that. The Nostromo crew are in trouble because they can't fight back and act stupidly by splitting up (even the director points out it would never have otherwise worked). By contrast, the sequel simply makes the human victims more capable of defending themselves.

The first is an introduction to monsters. The second shows you can fight your demons, but at the very high risk of getting turned into baby food in the process. It's deliberately fitted with an undertone of fighting back against odds, yet acknowledging that doing so is highly dangerous when those odds have teeth. :)

Again, a Queen doesn't alter any of that. You could've had the colonists all being turned into eggs. The end result would've been the same - except that the potential number of Aliens would have necessarily only been half what it was.

QuoteIt never sat well with me that guns could kill it.

But that's the whole point. 'Aliens' pointed out how realism dictates they can be defeated.

And let's be honest, if they couldn't be, what's the point of their acidic blood defence mechanism? :) Don't forget, Cameron portrayed that in action very well. Look at Drake and Hicks.

Personally, I'd prefer it if a future film also shows they're capable of cellular regeneration and healing lost limbs, but there's room to say that has also happened off screen.

QuoteBy allowing that you demote the alien to cannon fodder and then need vast numbers of them for there to be any major threat. It makes for a great movie, but ultimately fouls up the alien concept from the original film IMO.

None of that is affected by the numbers of Aliens you have.

QuoteRegarding origins, wasn't it O'Bannon's original idea that the alien we saw in the movie was just an adolescent of an advanced race that would, after going through its aggressive 'reptilian' stage, evolve into something reasonable and civilized?

Yes. But quite how he thought the natural predator traits, like all those sharp teeth and killer instinct should be explained in that context, I don't know...

His concept for 'Aliens Versus Predator' was that Aliens would grow up, transform and that Predators would be the 'adult' Aliens, by the way. The guy had some... Strange ideas, sometimes. :)

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Nov 29, 2011, 11:17:54 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 29, 2011, 11:06:14 PMYeah, that's right. It's all in here, etc: http://alienseries.blogspot.com/2011/01/crafting-perfect-organism.html

Haha, I just made the connection. That's were I read it! Love your site.

-Chris.
Haha, thanks very much  8)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 29, 2011, 11:17:20 PM
I found the wall of Aliens to be terrifying, and the Queen provided the sole-Alien-to-look-at thing.
Aaaand another thing; boss fights. See ... etc. :P

SM

SM

QuoteI wouldn't call that scene by the APC a joke...

Three marines with better leverage couldn't close the door on that Alien.

Chuckles abound.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Nov 29, 2011, 11:24:13 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 29, 2011, 11:17:20 PM
I found the wall of Aliens to be terrifying, and the Queen provided the sole-Alien-to-look-at thing.
Aaaand another thing; boss fights. See ... etc. :P
Haha, let's admit that you were thrilled by it in '86!  :laugh:

higherprimate

sooooo.....how about them space jockeys?? ;)

Valaquen

Valaquen

King Jockey to appear in Prometheus? ;)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Nov 29, 2011, 11:20:31 PMYes. But quite how he thought the natural predator traits, like all those sharp teeth and killer instinct should be explained in that context, I don't know...

I think that's why the idea works... what in the heck would it evolve into? It's this kind of mystery (and shameless speculation) that makes the O'Bannon/Giger/Scott universe so much fun, and why the mind boggles at where Prometheus will take us.

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 29, 2011, 11:33:54 PMKing Jockey to appear in Prometheus? ;)

The mind boggles some more  ;)

-Chris.

RICH-ENGLAND

Quote from: higherprimate on Nov 29, 2011, 11:30:28 PM
sooooo.....how about them space jockeys?? ;)

well hopefully we will see them alive in prometheus and hopefully it wont turn out to be a human in i bio suit but a proper creature.

thanks

rich

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 29, 2011, 11:25:26 PM
Wasn't alive in '86 :P

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: SiL on Nov 29, 2011, 11:37:22 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Nov 29, 2011, 11:25:26 PM
Wasn't alive in '86 :P
You weren't? My bad  :-[

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed