Alien 3 had amazing cinematography.

Started by Alionic, Mar 25, 2017, 02:52:22 AM

Author
Alien 3 had amazing cinematography. (Read 18,607 times)

Russ840

I'd love Creative Assembly to give us the Alien 3 equivalent of Alien: Isolation

Olde

Olde

Quote from: Russ840 on Mar 25, 2017, 08:52:45 PM
I'd love Creative Assembly to give us the Alien 3 equivalent of Alien: Isolation
Except you'd need to be someone other than Ripley? Because remember that the alien wouldn't kill Ripley.

On topic: Alien 3 has such a beautiful look, it's really indisputable. I like the looks of all the different Alien movies for different reasons, but as someone said before, you can't bash the look of this movie. It's absolutely amazing. The clarity of some of the shots have yet to be reproduced in the digital age.

Russ840

Russ840

Yeah. That's fine. Play as an unnamed inmate or as Morse.

My reason for wanting it really is to explore the environment. All the places we never see on film but that were designed and/or built in production. 

You could flesh out Morse. Get more details of the Wey Yu science crew post film via Morse'e interactions with them. Help recover the EEV wreckaged. Help setup the trap for the Dog Alien. Find the Hypothetical nest that it was building. All sorts could be done.

Alionic

I'm pretty sure James Cameron himself at one point admitted that Alien and Alien 3 look better than Aliens.

Valaquen

Quote from: Alionic on Mar 26, 2017, 12:58:19 AM
I'm pretty sure James Cameron himself at one point admitted that Alien and Alien 3 look better than Aliens.

He said it was a mistake to shoot Aliens in a different ratio aspect than the original. He also said Alien 3 is beautiful. He loved the visuals, but not the plot.

Scorpio

Aliens does not have the same epic look that the others have.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 26, 2017, 03:30:12 AM

? its the only sequel that uses the expressionist dreamy imagery like the first one, a conscious decision on Camerons part.  Thats insane to say so, especially since Cameron said on two different occasions that he studied Scotts style to copy it to Aliens, and my number one favorite thing in Aliens is that expressionist imagery

SM

SM

Depends on ones definition of "epic".

If we're talking broad sweeping scope a la Lawrence of Arabia or Lord of the Rings - none of the Alien films are like that.  Prometheus in parts, perhaps.  It's generally all about close claustrophobic tight spaces.

Scorpio

Scorpio

No what I'm saying is Aliens has the worst cinematography, it has nothing to do with claustrophobia or wide open spaces. 

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 26, 2017, 08:32:12 AM
Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 26, 2017, 03:30:12 AM

? its the only sequel that uses the expressionist dreamy imagery like the first one, a conscious decision on Camerons part.  Thats insane to say so, especially since Cameron said on two different occasions that he studied Scotts style to copy it to Aliens, and my number one favorite thing in Aliens is that expressionist imagery

http://www.jamescamerononline.com/acp1.png

http://www.jamescamerononline.com/aliens-6944.png

Yeah, he may be trying to copy the style, but he didn't pull it off, even he admits it on the commentary.  Out of those, the shots in Alien look better.

SiL

SiL

There's nothing wrong with Aliens' cinematography. It's got some of the most iconic shots in the series. The comparisons above look like they're almost from the same film.

The film stock they used was shit. That's about it.

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2017, 09:05:54 AM
Depends on ones definition of "epic".

If we're talking broad sweeping scope a la Lawrence of Arabia or Lord of the Rings - none of the Alien films are like that.  Prometheus in parts, perhaps.  It's generally all about close claustrophobic tight spaces.
Cameron once said that the ALIEN films were "Spam-in-a-can-movies".

StrangeShape

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 26, 2017, 10:10:33 AM

Yeah, he may be trying to copy the style, but he didn't pull it off, even he admits it on the commentary.  Out of those, the shots in Alien look better.

How did he not pull it off? As SiL said, they look like theyre from the same movie. And that expressionist style is only present in Alien and Aliens, and its one of the things I love the most about Alien, and THE thing I love the most about Aliens. The framing, the backlight, the silhouettes contrasted in harsh light, haze, this is a style that IS in Aliens and originates from Alien, that was not continued in any other sequels. And I do love these hazy, backlit dreamy imagery and it IS there in Aliens, and is unfortunately gone since then. Sure, there is of course phenomenal cinematography in Alien 3, and I have to admit, as much as I loathe Resurrection and dislike the choices they made for an alien film (i prefer the expressionist imagery of the first two rather than the "plate on the table" approach of the Resurection in showing the creatures), its still a good cinematography, but that contrasting, hazy backlit style, its gone since and really is a huge part of what makes both Alien and Aliens great for me

SM

SM

QuoteNo what I'm saying is Aliens has the worst cinematography, it has nothing to do with claustrophobia or wide open spaces.

By what measure does it have the worst cinematography?

426Buddy

426Buddy

Every film in this series has good or great cinematography except for AvP Requiem. I can recall some beautiful looking shots and imagery from all of the other films.

Russ840

Quote from: SM on Mar 26, 2017, 07:15:44 PM
QuoteNo what I'm saying is Aliens has the worst cinematography, it has nothing to do with claustrophobia or wide open spaces.

By what measure does it have the worst cinematography?

Yeah. I would have said that was just opinion.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed