ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 401,267 times)

SM

The hail of bullets from the gun connected to the harness would do the trick.

The CMTM shows how you fire it from behind cover anyway.

gold

gold

An LMG that is semi-permanently attached to you via a bespoke harness is one of the dumbest things ever in actual military operations.

-The prone firing position is ridiculous. LMG barrels glow red hot and are even swapped out during prolonged firefights, yet this one rests on your chest and legs apparently.

-An unexpected barrel blockage during prone firing means bye-bye testicles

-You can't drop jump to cover

-You can't blind fire it

-You can't sling it over your back when the situation unexpectedly calls for CQB or clearing rooms. You have to wait outside I guess!

-What if it jams or malfunctions in a firefight? It's attached to you

-What if you become incapacitated? A team mate that finally manages to unhook it off you (during a firefight no less! -Where usually the LMG's get the most flak) has no way to stabilize it (no bipod) or auto aim it himself.

-The muzzle flash is a lighthouse

-The amount of protrusions, sharp edges and loose wires would never pass a military equipment selection program.

But it looks really cool and I love it.

SM

- Smart guns don't appear to glow red hot in the film.
- If you have the eye piece, you don't need to blind fire it.
- If it malfunctions or jams, you 'shed' the whole thing like Drake did in the film.  Same deal, if a teammate wants to take it off an incapacitated gunner.

Also in regards to your signature block, from the forum rules:

Quote- No discussion of P2P downloading. This includes discussion about downloading movies, music, games, software etc. Providing links to such places is strictly not allowed. [Amendment 16/3/16: File-sharing is acceptable for discontinued Alien/Predator-related items or extremely hard to find items such as rare books/comics/games.]

The CMTM is widely available for purchase and not hard to find.

gold

gold

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2016, 01:34:15 AM
- Smart guns don't appear to glow red hot in the film.
- If you have the eye piece, you don't need to blind fire it.
- If it malfunctions or jams, you 'shed' the whole thing like Drake did in the film.  Same deal, if a teammate wants to take it off an incapacitated gunner.

Also in regards to your signature block, from the forum rules:

Quote- No discussion of P2P downloading. This includes discussion about downloading movies, music, games, software etc. Providing links to such places is strictly not allowed. [Amendment 16/3/16: File-sharing is acceptable for discontinued Alien/Predator-related items or extremely hard to find items such as rare books/comics/games.]

The CMTM is widely available for purchase and not hard to find.

What if you lose the eye-piece or it malfunctions?
Ok maybe it's made of unheatable super coolonium. It's still a hollow tube and can block and cause a barrel rupture.
You havent answered if a teammate takes it off you but has no time to get the harness or the harness is damaged, he has no way to stabilize it.

You never fire a gun standing up in the army (not since Waterloo atleast). With a gun attached to your torso and only swivelling through certain angles of motion (at certain degrees to boot) it is impossible to fire it freely from behind cover, where you should be 99% of the time when you fire it.

There's a reason it's a videocamera stabilising rig and not actual military light machine gun :)

Edit:
The CMTM I think is available because it's the old edition without the A3 add ons. All versions on sale appear to be the May 29th 2012 edition which means that the old one is now discontinued. In any case I've not mentioned p2p and I've provided no links to any p2p. I don't even know how p2p works but I believe it involves (bit)torents. In any case I've changed the sig.

SM

It sounds like you want a magic weapon that covers every possible contingency.

426Buddy

Just got my copy in the mail today, read a lil and flipped through it. So far its pretty great

SM

gold

gold

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2016, 02:07:42 AM
It sounds like you want a magic weapon that covers every possible contingency.

No, I respect the desire to have an auto aiming weapon. Who wouldn't.

But failing to hit a target you are aiming at during firefights is not an issue of being 60 degrees or so off target. It's a question of fractions of a degree, a couple of degrees at best when you factor in recoil.

A gun that auto aims could be developed just by creating an electronically controlled floating breech and having an electro-hydraulically suspended barrel (for recoil). There isn't any advantage to tethering the entire weapon to a soldier through all degrees of motion. That would simply serve stability, the exact same purpose the 600 year old bipod serves.

But in terms of coolness I think it's the coolest weapon in sci-fi history. By a long shot, and that says alot.

FiorinaFury161

IDK, the shoulder cannon is a pretty awesome weapon. I'd take that over the smartgun.

SM

QuoteThe CMTM I think is available because it's the old edition without the A3 add ons. All versions on sale appear to be the May 29th 2012 edition which means that the old one is now discontinued. In any case I've not mentioned p2p and I've provided no links to any p2p. I don't even know how p2p works but I believe it involves (bit)torents. In any case I've changed the sig.

Not sure if that will cut it.  But it's not my call.

If you're going to promote IP theft at least get the publication date correct.  CMTM was published in 1995.

gold

gold

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2016, 02:38:29 AM
QuoteThe CMTM I think is available because it's the old edition without the A3 add ons. All versions on sale appear to be the May 29th 2012 edition which means that the old one is now discontinued. In any case I've not mentioned p2p and I've provided no links to any p2p. I don't even know how p2p works but I believe it involves (bit)torents. In any case I've changed the sig.

Not sure if that will cut it.  But it's not my call.

If you're going to promote IP theft at least get the publication date correct.  CMTM was published in 1995.

I don't think it's theft, it simply looks like the discontinued edition being made available. It's a DMCA free link and google lists it as the very first search result in its SEO engine. If anyone can prove beyond doubt it is pirated I'll change it immediately.

SM

SM

It's obviously pirated because it's not being distributed or made available by the publisher, or on the publisher's authority.  I can't distribute a PDF version of WYR once all the collectors editions are sold out just 'cos the newer edition was revised.

That's besides the point though - the issue here is the promotion thereof.

Engineer

Yea I'm inclined to agree with SM on this one. Anyone can upload to google docs; it's likely a DMCA complaint hasn't been issued (yet) which is why it hasn't been taken down...

gold

Ok, 2-1 there's a chance it's pirated so my sig's going down.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Looks like my work here is done.  :laugh: Thanks for taking it down, gold. As SM mentioned, the the promotion of that kind of pirate sharing if not permitted here. It could get us into trouble and we don't want that!

And there's the fact that the CMTM is also easy to find and generally cheap now-a-days. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Technical-Manual/dp/1781161313/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474444128&sr=8-1&keywords=aliens+colonial+marines+technical+manual

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed