ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 401,248 times)

StrangeShape

I think only the first AVP draws heavily from EU, and , if one counts, Prometheus' black goo is pretty much EU's royal jelly

marrerom

Quote from: StrangeShape on Apr 30, 2016, 04:42:31 PM
I think only the first AVP draws heavily from EU, and , if one counts, Prometheus' black goo is pretty much EU's royal jelly

Sure, some films have drawn inspiration from the EU (Predator 2, AvP, AvP-R), but so far as I know there isn't an example of a film referencing the EU in a way that suggests the EU events actually took place. Like, for example, if a future film referenced SEVASTOPOL and Ripley's daughter then Alien Isolation would be canon.

SM

SM

All the novels and comics published since Jan 2014 are considered canon, along with Isolation.

Of course, that doesn't mean the old comics can't be decent stories worth reading.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2016, 10:22:12 PM
All the novels and comics published since Jan 2014 are considered canon, along with Isolation.

Not sure what your thoughts are on this SM, but I'm sure you read this sometime ago, but Tristan did say that the AVP films and the original comic were still on Fox's "canon" list, but are seen as a "soft" continuity. Now either this means they're a resource like Star Wars old EU, but if we take the news regarding Alien 5 and Weaver's statement about it being an AU (establishing we have a multiverse now), could these be seen as a potential AU as well since they are still on that list?

SM

We won't know how Alien 5 will fit - or if it will fit - until it comes out, and it's still some way off.

Tristan was offering an opinion on AvP being 'soft' continuity, and he may end up being correct.  I expect AvP's position in the grand scheme of things will be outlined in due course.

RakaiThwei

I sometimes value your objectiveness, SM but I hope I am not confusing objectiveness with doubt. I do want a multiverse if Alien 5 does happen-- and I have a feeling the film will be released. But that's just me, of course.

SM

I'm not sure what you mean by 'doubt'.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2016, 12:04:14 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by 'doubt'.

You know how you get excited by something, look over the way things are going, and sometimes wonder if it's too good to be true? That's what I mean by doubt.

SM

Oh, I see.

I tend not to get that excited to the point of disappointment anymore.  I'm excited about Blomkamp's film to the point that I'm interested in what he's going to do, but if it doesn't turn out so well - there's a whole bunch of other movies that aren't going anywhere that didn't disappointment me.

Cynicism is lazy (in general; not accusing anyone) and ultimately, its just a movie.  There will another movie along shortly that won't disappoint.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2016, 10:22:12 PM

Right, I get that's what they are saying. But can you, or anyone, explain how that's any different from when Aliens: Colonial Marines was being promoted as the official canon sequel to Aliens? It isn't. The people who create the EU always say their content is canon, right up until its not. From what I've noticed the entire EU gets thrown out and replaced every 5-10 years, usually coinciding with the release of a new movie. I'm sure that with Alien: Covenant it will happen again.

SM

The list Tristan spoke of on another thread is from Fox - not generated by any of the licensees.

I don't recall any other licensee besides Gearbox talking about their product being canon, so I'm not sure what you mean by "The people who create the EU always say their content is canon".

Not sure what you mean by "From what I've noticed the entire EU gets thrown out and replaced every 5-10 years, usually coinciding with the release of a new movie" either.

Canon can be fluid obviously. It's all make believe. A:CM was touted as canon; now it isn't.  Things may have to be adjusted in the licensing department when Convenant comes out, but by the same token Fox knows Covenant is incoming so efforts are being made to not conflict with it (as per the change in timeframe of the Fire & Stone comics).

marrerom

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2016, 01:36:17 AM
The list Tristan spoke of on another thread is from Fox - not generated by any of the licensees.

I wonder who at fox is in charge of handing out licenses and whether they really have any authority when it comes to dictating what's canon. You imply that this list is "official" but then go on to say that the EU may have to change to accommodate Covenant when it comes out. Well if this list is part of the official canon wouldn't Covenant have to adhere to it and not vice-versa? These comics and novels came first after all.

I mean, unless this list is adhered to by the movies what the point? What if, for example, Alien Covenant or Blomkamp's film contradicts  those comics and novels... Wouldn't that force the EU to change once again? Of what use is that list if the films ignore it?   

RakaiThwei

When it comes to EU material, they generally are just filler material until a new film arrives. This is always very much the case, even with films like Star Wars prior to Disney's purchase and their own EU reboot. No film franchise is beholding to the EU.

SM

Indeed.

The licensed material is spawn out of the films, so the films take precedence.  Just like Alien3 and Resurrection ignoring the licensed material to that came before.

QuoteI wonder who at fox is in charge of handing out licenses and whether they really have any authority when it comes to dictating what's canon. You imply that this list is "official" but then go on to say that the EU may have to change to accommodate Covenant when it comes out. Well if this list is part of the official canon wouldn't Covenant have to adhere to it and not vice-versa? These comics and novels came first after all.

Do you know any film franchise that dictates to a new film entry that it must conform to some comic or novel, that the audience of said new film may not be familiar with?

predxeno

Quote from: SM on May 01, 2016, 04:47:31 AM
Do you know any film franchise that dictates to a new film entry that it must conform to some comic or novel, that the audience of said new film may not be familiar with?

The GI Joe live action series, Transformers live action series, and there are even a few video game series that do that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed