ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 400,530 times)

Darwinsgirl

Book Depository is offering this at almost the same price as Amazon (a wee bit less) for pre-order with FREE Shipping World Wide and no sales I think.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Alien---Weyland-Yutani-Report-S-D-Perry/9781783293520?ref=grid-view

StrangeShape

I must say I absolutely love the Spanish and French covers, but Im not that crazy about the US (and Im guessing UK) one. Oh well, the inside looks great from the previews

HuDaFuK

So this isn't coming out on April 26th...

felix

Insight Editions has reassured me that the Release Date is still April 26th.

Corporal Hicks

Looks like Amazon are now shipping this.

Ultramorph

Yeah, that seems to be the case. I got an E-mail this morning that said it should be here on the 12th.  :o

Xenomrph

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 08, 2016, 03:31:20 PM
Yeah, that seems to be the case. I got an E-mail this morning that said it should be here on the 12th.  :o
Ditto for me as well.

Can't say I'm complaining haha.

Everlasting Undead

Amazon's still being a funny bugger with my order: Still no update on my order. Still says it's released 20th May or something like that.

I got a bad feeling about this shop...

locusta

Many thanks guys! Happy to know you will soon own it as well, and hopefully like it.

Everlasting Undead

The models you made were awesome. Can't wait to see the finished product.

I just hope Amazon doesn't screw me over...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ultramorph on Apr 08, 2016, 03:31:20 PM

Would you be able to share some pictures when you get it? I'm curious to see the differences between the fancy pants edition and this one.

Xenomrph

Got my copy in the mail today, it looks pretty great. I haven't had time to do much more than page through it a bit at this point.

I'm a little miffed that the apparent cover art on Amazon isn't actually cover art. It isn't even a dust jacket. It's kind of hard to describe, it's just a thin strip of paper that wraps around part of the outside of the book and is taped on the inside covers. I'm likely going to remove it and throw it away, it's really not secured to the actual book very well to begin with and it feels kinda cheap. I'd kind of liken it to the semi-disposable outer slip cover you see with some blurays (especially steelbooks) but even less impressive.

Also I'm a little disappointed that the book gives LV-426's size as the (incorrect, IMO) 1200km figure, rather than using the 12,000km figure from the USCM Tech Manual. I can't say I'm that surprised, though.

Receiving this book also motivated me to FINALLY get back to reading Fire and Stone (I got the "complete edition", but the book is just so goddamn huge that it's a bit of a chore to read comfortably). Somehow I never made the connection that Prometheus' LV-223 and Alien's LV-426 were both moons of the same planet. Did Prometheus actually indicate that? Or is that something that was established outside of the movies?

This is a bit of a personal preference thing, but after paging through the book a bit, I kinda wish it was visually more of an "in universe" book in the way the USCM Tech Manual is. Like, don't get me wrong, the artwork is gorgeous and really visually impressive, and the actual text itself (what little I've skimmed) feels like it's mostly written in an in-universe style like the USCM Tech Manual was, but the total package just doesn't quite convey the feeling of "this is an official report that a W-Y employee could pick up off a bookshelf and read".
Like the USCM Tech Manual has this sort of "dryness" where visually the layout is all very mundane and, well, technical, even if the actual content and pictures are really interesting. The Weyland Yutani Report feels a little bit more like a Dorling Kindersley "visual guide" by comparison.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Xenomrph on Apr 13, 2016, 10:19:00 AM
Receiving this book also motivated me to FINALLY get back to reading Fire and Stone (I got the "complete edition", but the book is just so goddamn huge that it's a bit of a chore to read comfortably). Somehow I never made the connection that Prometheus' LV-223 and Alien's LV-426 were both moons of the same planet. Did Prometheus actually indicate that? Or is that something that was established outside of the movies?

IIRC you see LV-426 in a graphic depicting the planet in Prometheus. Not 100% on that though.

QuoteThis is a bit of a personal preference thing, but after paging through the book a bit, I kinda wish it was visually more of an "in universe" book in the way the USCM Tech Manual is. Like, don't get me wrong, the artwork is gorgeous and really visually impressive, and the actual text itself (what little I've skimmed) feels like it's mostly written in an in-universe style like the USCM Tech Manual was, but the total package just doesn't quite convey the feeling of "this is an official report that a W-Y employee could pick up off a bookshelf and read".
Like the USCM Tech Manual has this sort of "dryness" where visually the layout is all very mundane and, well, technical, even if the actual content and pictures are really interesting. The Weyland Yutani Report feels a little bit more like a Dorling Kindersley "visual guide" by comparison.

It is very much intended as an in-universe piece and the writing reflects that throughout. I understand your issue there though. Personally I never liked the dry style of the CMTM so I was glad this wasn't such a dull read.

Xenomrph

No I get that it's intended as an in-universe book, and the writing (mostly) does reflect that, it's more of the visuals paired with the writing and the way the pages are laid out. It doesn't actually feel like an official report.

Perfect-Organism

From what I've seen, I'd say they struck a fairly good balance that takes you in-universe, but still gives you an enjoyable experience as a real life reader and customer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed