ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 400,529 times)

Ultramorph

Awesome preview! Looking at the timeline, I'm glad to see Fire and Stone included, as well as the references to synthetics getting civil rights, as mentioned in Sea of Sorrows. It's cool to get a coherent canon.

Xenomorphine

Civil rights? That doesn't... Make much sense.

Engineer

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 08, 2015, 10:01:37 PM
I guess the "new asshole models" are considered alive! Lol

Xenomrph

Why not?

Also I'm seriously bummed about no mass market edition on the horizon, that's an amazingly boneheaded move if they're seriously going to stick to it. If they think fans are going to just bite the bullet and pay $300 for the crazy edition, I think they're in for a rude awakening. It'd be way, way more profitable to sell a mass market edition for a reasonable price (source: the sum total history of publishing and marketing).

Engineer

I'd dish out the dough for this! I really REALLY want to too! Especially after reading AvPG's review and finding out there's an insert of Mores' book! I've always wanted to see more from him, considering he was the only real survivor in the original trilogy! Unfortunately though, I'll never be able to convince my wife to let me buy it for this price... :-(. For that reason, I definitely hope a more affordable version will eventually come out...

The Alien Predator

Funny you should say that, because the main character of the novel "Sea of Sorrows", Alan Decker, feels exactly the same!  ;D

He says how if you give Synthetics civil rights, you might as well give civil rights to a starship. Apparently, when Weyland-Yutani rose back to power, they "fixed" this little issue.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 07:06:22 PM

This one? I believe so.

I like the images. The text is crap. Eh.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: Ultramorph on Aug 08, 2015, 08:03:55 PM
Awesome preview! Looking at the timeline, I'm glad to see Fire and Stone included, as well as the references to synthetics getting civil rights, as mentioned in Sea of Sorrows. It's cool to get a coherent canon.

Speaking of Fire and Stone, is there anything mentioned or hinted about the Predators?

I read Hicks' preview which was an interesting read, one part stood out, the bit that talks about the Engineers not being our creators but a "brother species", what could that mean? It reminded me of how some fans still hope there is a legitimate "Space Jockey" type creature and the Engineers were their creation.

Corporal Hicks

How can it not? They're essentially alive and will want the rights that everyone around them do.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 09, 2015, 03:33:10 PM
Speaking of Fire and Stone, is there anything mentioned or hinted about the Predators?

Nah. What you see in the timeline is it. It's mostly focused on the film.

QuoteI read Hicks' preview which was an interesting read, one part stood out, the bit that talks about the Engineers not being our creators but a "brother species", what could that mean? It reminded me of how some fans still hope there is a legitimate "Space Jockey" type creature and the Engineers were their creation.

I think that's what it's hinting out. But as I said, they didn't really go into much theorizing during the Prometheus section. I wonder if it's some sort of purposefully placed hint.

Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 09, 2015, 02:43:21 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 07:06:22 PM

This one? I believe so.

Anything in particular?

janenad

Great preview!
One question Hicks, does it theorize in the book why the alien in the Nostromo was different from the aliens on LV-426, is it age or casts probably? And in the new beginnings section, on the xeno armor page, there's a weird head piece on the xeno, can you elaborate on what is it and how it works, or just upload a picture of the page?  ;D

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 09, 2015, 03:22:09 AM
Why not?

Because they're machines. :)

QuoteAlso I'm seriously bummed about no mass market edition on the horizon, that's an amazingly boneheaded move if they're seriously going to stick to it. If they think fans are going to just bite the bullet and pay $300 for the crazy edition, I think they're in for a rude awakening. It'd be way, way more profitable to sell a mass market edition for a reasonable price (source: the sum total history of publishing and marketing).

Same... Just for the cut-aways, alone, this is one of those rare examples of a book I'd genuinely love to own a copy of. There isn't any way to justify this price. They really are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Quote from: Guan Thwei 1992 on Aug 09, 2015, 12:10:02 PM
Funny you should say that, because the main character of the novel "Sea of Sorrows", Alan Decker, feels exactly the same!  ;D

He says how if you give Synthetics civil rights, you might as well give civil rights to a starship. Apparently, when Weyland-Yutani rose back to power, they "fixed" this little issue.

I vaguely remember this... Can recall readily agreeing with that logic.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 09, 2015, 04:48:08 PM
How can it not? They're essentially alive and will want the rights that everyone around them do.

They'd only care about it if they're programmed to do so - and there's no reason for anyone to put in the immense time and effort necessary to do that. There'd be zero commercial incentive.

That's why I didn't understand a lot of the promotional materials surrounding David 8. It made a big deal about how the model was able to experience anger/sadness/whatever and all I could think of was why the hell you'd do that if you're creating it specifically to undertake what would amount to slave labour.

Creating an illusion of human behaviour (to help with crew cohesion) is a world apart from creating something which can literally experience it. The kind of things we've seen them being used for, they'd never need the capacity to experience actual emotions.

'Terminator 2' had a great scene in this regard, where John Connor asked the Terminator if it cares about whether it completes its assigned objectives. In other words, whether it has any emotional investment in the outcome. And it just says no... In the absence of contingencies, it would merely become obsolete for the rest of eternity.

That's exactly how a machine would view itself. It wouldn't care or get sad or anything like that. All the stuff from David 8 about how he wanted his 'parents' dead, struck me as lazy writing for the sole purpose of trying to inject drama for drama's sake.

Even Bishop acts relatively emotionless, in regards to termination. He has a measure of self-preservation and comradeship, but tells Ripley to pull the plug because he'll never stand a chance of being top of the line, again.

predxeno

Any chance the fancy pants edition will go down in price as time goes on?  I know most sculpts from SideShow go up with time, but I doubt anybody wants a $325 book so the demand for it may not be as high.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 09, 2015, 04:48:08 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Aug 09, 2015, 02:43:21 PM

Anything in particular?

The tone feels off, describing the Marines as badasses feels very Gearbox-y, saying the Aliens exhibited no tactics on LV-426 until the Queen told them to smarten up (essentially) ... eh, I'm very picky I guess. I don't like the writing style.

SM

"fluff"?

QuoteOne question Hicks, does it theorize in the book why the alien in the Nostromo was different from the aliens on LV-426, is it age or casts probably?

A caste system is theorised, but not specifically relating to head shape.  There are other theories about heads.

QuoteAnd in the new beginnings section, on the xeno armor page, there's a weird head piece on the xeno, can you elaborate on what is it and how it works, or just upload a picture of the page?

The Alien related armour exists pretty much to combat Aliens due to acid resistance.

QuoteThe tone feels off, describing the Marines as badasses feels very Gearbox-y, saying the Aliens exhibited no tactics on LV-426 until the Queen told them to smarten up (essentially) ... eh, I'm very picky I guess. I don't like the writing style.

It's a guy expressing an arguably overconfident - just like the second film - second hand opinion using language just like the second film.

Valaquen

Quote from: SM on Aug 09, 2015, 11:05:05 PM
It's a guy expressing an arguably overconfident - just like the second film - second hand opinion using language just like the second film.

I know, I think it's a hard tone to pull off without sounding dopey. I'm just a picky bastard.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed