Gorman the Idiot

Started by happypred, Dec 09, 2007, 06:56:32 AM

Author
Gorman the Idiot (Read 6,330 times)

Fitzley

Fitzley

It's also an extension of the Vietnam analogy. The men trusting their NCO more than the polished by the book officer who is too green to know the practicalities of field combat.

Sprout

Sprout

He had to send them into the nest. They needed to find the colonists. But he shouldn't have removed their ammo, and knowing he did should have pulled them out at first sign of trouble.

Kimo

Kimo

I also think Gorman was way too much by the book, and was picked by The Company because of his lack of experience so he would f**k up and put the rest of the teams life in jepoday, because he had rank over them.  By doing that it makes a better chance of burk getting a specimen on board for the trip back by having the upper rank disposed of so the rest of the team f**ks up.

Well thats my idea.

thepouncer

thepouncer

Quote from: happypred on Dec 09, 2007, 06:56:32 AM
I haven't watched Aliens in a couple of years but upon re-viewing I just realized what an idiot Gorman was...he made the worst decisions possible. He always came off as inept to me but after re-watching Aliens this time, it just struck me harder. 
this is a poke at the upper class more educated soldiers of the ww1 era who were given a rank based on education and status (ie. the british pre ww2) as apposed to the battle hardened warriors of the war itself

Major Alan Schaefer

Major Alan Schaefer

another thing that i found interesting is when Gorman says its only his second drop Ripley's first thing is to look at Burke

Alien Freak

Alien Freak

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Dec 15, 2007, 09:09:39 PM
another thing that i found interesting is when Gorman says its only his second drop Ripley's first thing is to look at Burke
Probably because he didn't tell her that Gorman was inexperienced.

AvPvTerminator

AvPvTerminator

Quote from: Alien Freak on Dec 17, 2007, 08:17:59 PM
Did burke even know?

Dark Passenger

Dark Passenger

Quote from: AvPvTerminator on Dec 18, 2007, 01:54:06 AM
Did burke even know?

Probably, he just wanted ripley to come with.....

I am Mother

I am Mother

Quote from: Optimus Prime on Dec 18, 2007, 04:12:04 AM
Quote from: AvPvTerminator on Dec 18, 2007, 01:54:06 AM
Did burke even know?

Probably, he just wanted ripley to come with.....

Burke knew about Gorman I think, he just had his own agenda ,like losing a few Marines was cool as long as he got his big payoff, and he probably knew that if the commander of the Marines was the least bit switched-on i.e. experienced, he probably wouldn't have got away with it. Burke probably saw it as to his benefit that Gorman was fresh so to speak.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed