Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise

Started by Thatguy2068, Nov 16, 2023, 05:37:56 AM

Author
Cosmic horror in the Alien franchise (Read 7,984 times)

Thatguy2068

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jan 20, 2024, 11:47:02 PMAnd like, half the shit in Prometheus.
Yeah, if the movie was better written, I think we could've had like the closest thing to have space Lovecraft movie thing I don't know what to call it

Immortan Jonesy

E. Shaw

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Nov 17, 2023, 01:44:53 AMI think that it one thing that always bugged me about Aliens and onwards until Prometheus was released. You had strong hints of the Alien being part of something far greater in scope with the first film, and while I love Aliens and to a lesser extent enjoy the Alien 3 Assembly Cut, none of the original follow ups ever exploring the Space Jockeys and other cosmic horror concepts really was quite the disappointment. I think that  is why I enjoyed Prometheus for the most part as it wanted to ask those questions while establishing some sense of cosmic hierarchy, and while Covenant certainly had its fair share of issues mainly in the 3rd act as weak retreading of the original Alien, seeing the black mutagen effect the environment and the introduction of the Neomorph hinted at new kinds of horrors than just the typical hive.

My sentiments exactly. Alien felt like it was setting the stage for a cosmic horror underworld with the Xenomorph only being one part of it. Then it became the only part of it till Prometheus. There was the hope we would see more mutations like Sil and cities like in Giger's Illustrated The Necronomicon.
One of the reasons I loved Prometheus is it we got to see inside The Derelict and see that throne again. I only wish Ridley had gone further, shown us more, "there must be more!" (Peter Weyland, Alien: Covenant). Alas I am glad we go something else than Xenomorphs run amok, though I do love that too.

DarthJoker45

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 03, 2024, 06:14:00 AM
Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Nov 17, 2023, 01:44:53 AMI think that it one thing that always bugged me about Aliens and onwards until Prometheus was released. You had strong hints of the Alien being part of something far greater in scope with the first film, and while I love Aliens and to a lesser extent enjoy the Alien 3 Assembly Cut, none of the original follow ups ever exploring the Space Jockeys and other cosmic horror concepts really was quite the disappointment. I think that  is why I enjoyed Prometheus for the most part as it wanted to ask those questions while establishing some sense of cosmic hierarchy, and while Covenant certainly had its fair share of issues mainly in the 3rd act as weak retreading of the original Alien, seeing the black mutagen effect the environment and the introduction of the Neomorph hinted at new kinds of horrors than just the typical hive.

My sentiments exactly. Alien felt like it was setting the stage for a cosmic horror underworld with the Xenomorph only being one part of it. Then it became the only part of it till Prometheus. There was the hope we would see more mutations like Sil and cities like in Giger's Illustrated The Necronomicon.
One of the reasons I loved Prometheus is it we got to see inside The Derelict and see that throne again. I only wish Ridley had gone further, shown us more, "there must be more!" (Peter Weyland, Alien: Covenant). Alas I am glad we go something else than Xenomorphs run amok, though I do love that too.

I was literally thinking this the other day. I got to thinking how interesting it would be if the Alien series took a unique direction where instead of getting Aliens, we got more of an anthology series with each film introducing a new type of Biomechanoid extraterrestial. It would build upon it. I know that I am not the first to think that especially on these forums, but it is weird that you brought this up when I just thought that.

E. Shaw

Quote from: DarthJoker45 on Apr 05, 2024, 01:12:41 AM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 03, 2024, 06:14:00 AM

I was literally thinking this the other day. I got to thinking how interesting it would be if the Alien series took a unique direction where instead of getting Aliens, we got more of an anthology series with each film introducing a new type of Biomechanoid extraterrestial. It would build upon it. I know that I am not the first to think that especially on these forums, but it is weird that you brought this up when I just thought that.

I think we are both in the Gigerian spirit. H.R. Giger's art was full pf bio-mechanical extraterrestrials, the Xenomorph being only one of them. There are so many others just waiting to be seen! If only fans would open themselves to the Master and not be stuck on one design alone, a great one no doubt, but there is room for more too. :)

SiL

SiL

The Alien series wasn't designed as a showcase of Giger's portfolio. It was about a specific extraterrestrial threat and the people who had the misfortune of meeting them.

This is one of those "Just make a new series" situations.

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2024, 03:20:05 AMThe Alien series wasn't designed as a showcase of Giger's portfolio. It was about a specific extraterrestrial threat and the people who had the misfortune of meeting them.

This is one of those "Just make a new series" situations.

And that is a mistake in my book. What would have fought staleness is more designs. The Xenomorph is iconic, but let it and other designs shine would benefit the franchise long term.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:26:00 AMAnd that is a mistake in my book. What would have fought staleness is more designs. The Xenomorph is iconic, but let it and other designs shine would benefit the franchise long term.
What staleness? Of all the criticisms one can level at the Alien movies, same-ness is not one of them. Every movie features new designs, every movie is tonally very different.

And for what it's worth, Giger isn't the sole designer of the Alien in the first movie. The small shapes were made by other people. He effectively only did the egg and the adult -- it was a collaborative effort, not the HR Giger Show.

The Alien franchise is about the Alien. If the Alien is stale and boring, one should move to a new franchise.

I never hear people saying the Predator series should be about something other than Predators.

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2024, 03:39:17 AM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:26:00 AMAnd that is a mistake in my book. What would have fought staleness is more designs. The Xenomorph is iconic, but let it and other designs shine would benefit the franchise long term.
What staleness? Of all the criticisms one can level at the Alien movies, same-ness is not one of them. Every movie features new designs, every movie is tonally very different.

And for what it's worth, Giger isn't the sole designer of the Alien in the first movie. The small shapes were made by other people. He effectively only did the egg and the adult -- it was a collaborative effort, not the HR Giger Show.

The Alien franchise is about the Alien. If the Alien is stale and boring, one should move to a new franchise.

I never hear people saying the Predator series should be about something other than Predators.

I used staleness for future, not as of yet has staleness been, but more designs help with keeping things fresh, why not use Xenomorph and other designs? Prometheus tried but got booed and hence Covenant went back to form. I wish we could have both, like Godzilla which has Toho and Monsterverse.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:42:38 AMPrometheus tried but got booed
Because people want Aliens in their Alien movies.

Quotebut more designs help with keeping things fresh
I'd rather they focus on good writing for that, than novelty designs.

E. Shaw

Quote from: SiL on Apr 05, 2024, 03:46:07 AM
Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:42:38 AMPrometheus tried but got booed
Because people want Aliens in their Alien movies.

Quotebut more designs help with keeping things fresh
I'd rather they focus on good writing for that, than novelty designs.

What can't it be both? Good writing and great designs. It happened at least twice, most fans agree (Alien, Aliens).

SiL

SiL

Quote from: E. Shaw on Apr 05, 2024, 03:48:13 AMWhat can't it be both? Good writing and great designs. It happened at least twice, most fans agree (Alien, Aliens).
Aliens just proves my point you don't need to add things that aren't the Alien to keep having good designs.

Local Trouble

I don't mind the idea of a Gigerian ecosystem, but not at the expense of the titular Alien.  A biomechanical Pandora would be fascinating to see, but only as window-dressing for an interesting Alien-focused story.

E. Shaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 05, 2024, 05:23:43 AMI don't mind the idea of a Gigerian ecosystem, but not at the expense of the titular Alien.  A biomechanical Pandora would be fascinating to see, but only as window-dressing for an interesting Alien-focused story.

I think if Xenomorph is prominent in the ecosystem, like that mural in Prometheus was alluding to could work. Have the Dark Woman/ Sil and other forms. :)

BlueMarsalis79

The "woman in the dark" makes me want to neck myself.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed