Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 83,440 times)

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 13, 2019, 09:21:22 PM
The best we can get out here is 10 gigs per month. The speed is too slow to hardly load a 3 minute youtube video in 20 minutes. If you go past 10 gigs, the signal gets hard throttled to the point of uselessness for the remainder of the month. It's going to be this way for the foreseeable future.

And you wonder why I'm a physical media man.

I finally found him. The guy with internet worse than mine.

Huggs

Hellfire, we didn't even move on from dial-up around here until about 5 years ago.

We do get a grace period though. From about 2am to 7am we get slightly faster internet, but even that is limited to 50 gigs per month. It's useless of course, because who wants to be up at 2am just to use the internet?

RobThom

Disney huh...

I wonder if they can find somebody to do what they did to Star Wars to Alien.

Who can they find to switch around a bunch of concept art and sequences and references to Alien?

They can call it, the prometheus awakens.

SuperiorIronman

I figure it's not what you meant, but if Alien or Predator got an entry that was Star Wars levels of success that's more than worth it financially. Between Star Wars and Marvel, Disney's acquisitions have more than made up for the cost of purchasing them.

Maybe we can get the Alien into Disney parks outside the Movie ride. Buzz Lightyear and Sitch's escape could definitely be improved with an Alien or Predator coat of paint.

Kimarhi

Didn't SOLO cost Disney a cool 100 million?

Samhain13

Kimarhi

Pretty sure it made its budget back, but not its advertising cost.

I actually liked it alright.  I liked both standalones better than numbered series. 

Samhain13

Only Rogue One was ok so far for me.

Kimarhi

I've always enjoyed SW but not to the levels that some people do.

I didn't mind whatever the first one with Rey was called, Liked Rogue One quite a bit, the 2nd one with Rey was too disjointed and didn't utilize my man Luke enough, and Solo I liked for what it was. 

I'd give rogue an 8, Solo a 7.5, Rey 1 a 7 (its the same movie as ANH), and Rey 2 a 6.5.

I realize Rey 2 was disappointing but it nowhere near as bad a movie as people make it out to be. 

Evanus

I thought Solo was very fun. But mostly, I really hope they keep John Powell on board since he did a fantastic job with the score.

Anyway, this is off topic.. uh, let's hope Disney will make an official announcement for Alien soon. :)  They said they're going to keep making movies, so I wonder how long it'll take.

SM

I liked Giachinno's Rogue One soundtrack better.  Powell's was okay, but Giachinno's original stuff was much better.  Better than TFA too.

Evanus

Evanus

Oh, I have to disagree there. Giacchino's score felt like he was trying to impersonate Williams really hard, kinda fell flat for me. Powell managed to blend his style with Williams' style flawlessly. For me TFA is better than both, although Solo comes close. Overall I think Powell is a much better fit for Star Wars than Giacchino.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Giacchino's worst moment is the main Rogue One theme itself.  It's so cheesy, so Battle Beyond the Stars-esque.  I was kind of taken aback by it.  (Plus, it's almost certainly a lift from the score of the Hasslehoff masterpiece Starcrash.)

Ingwar

Does this sound legit?

QuoteDisney To Reboot Alien Franchise, Ridley Scott May Produce

The Alien franchise is in a mess. Despite being some of the best science fiction horror films of all-time and featuring an all-time iconic movie monster, the series' mythology has disappeared up its own arse. The rot arguably began way back in 1992's Alien 3, with each subsequent film getting a little worse. Then came Prometheus and Alien: Covenant, which threw in a load of confusing and portentous pseudo-philosophy into the creature's origin story. Audiences were nonplussed, resulting in Covenant flopping and the franchise being on ice ever since.

Now, Disney having purchased the Alien IP as part of their merger with Fox, plans to perform an Alien resurrection. We're hearing from our sources – the same ones who revealed that an Aladdin sequel was happening, which was confirmed this week – that they're poised to reboot several high profile franchises that they acquired in the Fox deal, with Alien being the biggest.

So, what could this new version of the property consist of? Well, the obvious route would be to start off with the basics and do a loose remake of 1979's Alien. Thing is, that film is such a classic and its excellent production design and practical effects mean it hasn't aged poorly. Perhaps the best thing to do then might be to pull the same trick that Blumhouse did with Halloween and make a sequel to the first film that discounts everything that followed.

It's a tactic that lets Disney claim they're respecting the history of the franchise while giving them a blank sheet to go forward with. Plus, they'd still have Ellen Ripley floating around in cryosleep somewhere in-universe.

One thing we've also heard is that Ridley Scott may oversee the reboot as a producer. After his last two Alien movies, Disney might have cold feet about giving him much input into the script and plotting, but Scott's a master of production design and atmosphere. We also know that Disney isn't planning to sand the edges off the franchise, with CEO Bob Iger committed to maintaining an R-rating.

https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/disney-reboot-alien-franchise-ridley-scott-produce/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed