Dead Space

Started by fluxcap, Oct 10, 2007, 02:43:40 AM

Author
Dead Space (Read 92,044 times)

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think DS2 is the better game but I still prefer the first.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Fully realised? That console, overpriced trash I say, for the entire lifetime.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

What, the PS3?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

A console's initial release is always more sketch than what it finishes out as.

Look at DeadSpace, and compare it visually, mechanically, and gameplay wise to a release like TLOU.  Both games are great, but TLOU benefits from being released at the end of the consoles life when all the bugs had been worked out whereas Dead Space is was already old in console years by the time TLOU released. 

This is what I meant.

REVIII is a good game but it will still pale in comparison to whatever the next release is for the RE series on PS5, just because your talking about an initial release vs a mid or late console release. 

As for it being overpriced, that would depend on how much disposable income you had I guess.  I got one on its release date and played the f**k out of it till PS4 came out.   I got my moneys worth out of it.  I still play games like the FEAR series, DS, AVP2010 on it till this day because that is where I own those particular games. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you play NCAA 14 on it?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Yup.  Sometimes it looks at me hauntingly. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Yeah but the Xbox 360 did everything better.
Apart from the hardware constantly dying in the first iteration, the Sony generational equivalent had issues running lots of stuff it really ought not to have had for the price and that continued to be the case for the entire shelf life, no question Microsoft won that generation.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Are you a veteran of the seventh-generation console wars?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

PS3 had the better exclusives when it was all said and done, and sold more than the 360. 

I do see that people were complaining about the price, but I'm pretty sure I never paid 600 dollars for one. 

I've had every console between microsoft (well all except the current gen for xbox) and playstation, and I'd give the nod to playstation on EVERY iteration, and I'd give the OG Playstation the win against both Saturn and N64.  There are some games the Xbox plays better (just about every FPS port from PC plays better on Xbox), but overall if I had to pick one, I'd pick the Playstation every time. 

I'm going to look at amazon and see what I paid for it initially. 

Edit: Paid $423 for one in 2008, and $298 for one in 2012 when I was going to school at UK. 

The 600 dollar price tag must've been right when it was first released or something. 

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Did you take it with you to Ethiopia?

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I bought one over there as well.  I dont have anyway to look at the receipt on that one, it was from a PX way back in the day.  But it would've been 2012 as well.

I gave one to my dad to use as a blu ray player and had forgot I even had it till you asked me that. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I'd definitely give the nod as you say to the PS2 and PS4 absolutely no question, especially the eighth generation, but no the PS3's a joke of a console honestly I found the Xbox 360 far superior in a number of respects- just years ahead in the Microsoft marketplace infrastructure supporting it for instance.

And I'm just going to say it a ton of mediocre third person shooters does not make for better exclusives, at the time Halo 2 and 3 ruled the FPS landscape and if you missed out on that you missed out on a phenomenon, the entire Gears of War franchise- Left 4 Dead and Crackdown and the original Mass Effect for the longest time.

And like you said it ran pretty much everything better, whereas the Sony equivalent had trouble with Elder Scrolls of all things, of course it had Naughty Dog and Metal Gear but I always found the former overrated to an extreme degree- great storytellers but great videogame makers? Not really. When I finally got my hands on The Last Of Us I found myself kind of blown away by how middle of the road the gameplay turned out to be.

The only other thing it had's the Blu-ray Player that a lot of people could not afford to buy into right out of the gate though.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'd take TLOU over anything XBOX had that I played.  But to me the story can help make up for gameplay deficiencies.  TLOU is one of my favorite game stories told ever.  The gameplay was pretty average for the time, I was more disappointed that TLOU2 kept some of the same shooting mechanics that the original did. 

I was on the opposite end and found everything Halo based (aside from Reach) was overrated.  I came from PC to the consoles for gaming and found just about every PC shooter was better than Halo.  Not that anything was wrong with Halo............it was just average.

I will say I liked Reach.  Reach is probably my favorite overall xbox game but the rest of the series lacked that depressive air that Reach carried with it.  They aren't bad, but for a series that was supposed to carry a console.............definately overrated.

The same for Gears.  I grinded through the first couple of Gears games and had enough after that.  Just wasn't interesting enough to keep me invested.

I also remember that back in the day online was free for PS3.  What happened to PS3 was that all of your FPS players were on Xbox, so online FPS shooter players that did have the PS3 did struggle to fill matches.  It might've had its issues otherwise............but it was a free service.  I actually found that offputting when the 360 made me pay for online services in comparison.

And even moreso when you had to start doing it to play online in ps4. 

To each their own though.  I have yet to find that series on Xbox that actually makes me want to stick with the Xbox and run with it.  Its always been Sony, all the way back into the late 90s. 

Sega Saturn was the first console I owned of that Generation, I had it about a year before I got a PS and a N64.  But PS is the brand that stuck since then.

It's funny though, even though 360 and PS3 both were right there together at the end of that generations battle, with PS3 coming from behind to jump ahead to 2nd Place...............the Wii thumped them both in total sales. 

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

As you say each to their own taste.

But I'm not playing for a team here, in my opinion the victor changes each generation, mostly so far anyway.

PS2 > Xbox
Xbox 360 > PS3
PS4 > Xbox One

I think it is fair to say that Halo defined shooters on consoles in general, before that the genre looked like Perfect Dark, Combat Evolved changed everything.

You can tell what one succeeded by what innovations survived into the now that console presented for the first time.

Xbox Live (paid for online that actually works), backwards compatibility (the PS3 quickly gutted the PS2 stuff because of it being overpriced), reliably faster download and install speeds, party chat, being able to change your name, a decent user interface, a controller that does not ruin your hands, better first party games, and better running third party games.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

The last Playstation I owned was the PS2, but the only exclusives I bothered with were Onimusha and Soulcalibur 3.

I got my first Xbox later, mainly for KOTOR, but I was won over by the fact that multi-platform games generally performed better on it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed