Anyone else hates the xenomorph design on Covenant?

Started by rafaelgg, Mar 03, 2019, 09:23:07 PM

Author
Anyone else hates the xenomorph design on Covenant? (Read 13,792 times)

TC

Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 04, 2019, 09:15:14 AM
   But if you take the Big Chap from "Alien" and give him two joints legs, you can show him walking without its movements looking too much human and without the sensation is a man in disguise. So for me the design on "Alien Isolation" is perfect:

I like the feet of the Covenant xeno; which is a cross between the plantigrade feet of Alien '79 and the digitigrade feet of Isolation.

Yes, Scott was doing all he could to avoid the man-in-rubber-suit horror movie syndrome, but ironically, in the end (and despite Scott's best efforts), retaining the human bipedal form became an essential part of the bastardised perversion of human anatomy that is intrinsic to the Giger design.

TC

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 04, 2019, 09:35:36 AM
  It´s called the"Queen"as the term is used when we talk about bee hives social structure.
  And she has the capability of breeding, that makes her by logic a "female" being.

"These things ain't Ants man, Bees, man. Bees have hives."
The Alien is Alien. I̶n̶s̶e̶c̶t̶

Incorrect;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Male_pregnancy
https://tinyurl.com/BBCAsexsualAnimals

"I suppose it's worth noting that, in the other excellent answers,
while the male gives birth (for some definition of "birth"), the eggs are produced by the female.

Why is this?

Because the term "female" was assigned by humans,
so it was been defined to align with our expectations:

Female: of or denoting the sex that can bear offspring or produce eggs,
distinguished biologically by the production of gametes (ova) that can be fertilized by male gametes.

Male: of or denoting the sex that produces small, typically motile gametes, especially spermatozoa,
with which a female may be fertilized or inseminated to produce offspring.

Greatly simplified, the one producing the larger gamete is called "female",
which correlates with bearing the young because larger often means less mobile
-regardless of how little that matters to the species in question.

Take most fish as an example: the females produce large quantities of eggs and deposit them somewhere,
and the males produce large quantities of sperm and deposit them somewhere. The terms "male" and "female"
don't have the same connotations as they would with land animals.

If "female" were defined as "the ones which carry and birth the young"
sea horses would be notable for having "males" which produce eggs, rather than "males" which give birth.

TL;DR: "male" and "female" are useful terms,
but don't get too hung up on them or be surprised when a species reproduces in ways
that don't fit neatly into those boxes.
"

JokersWarPig

Fleshy xenos aren't real xenos in my book.

The Old One

The Old One

(AVP & AVPR) Resurrection's the exclusion IMO.

rafaelgg

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 04, 2019, 01:12:25 PM

Tha AVP xeno is exactly the same desing used on Ressurrection, they recycled the xeno suits and animatronics from the Jean Pierre Jeunet´s film.

The Kurgan

Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 04, 2019, 01:45:43 PM

Tha AVP xeno is exactly the same desing used on Ressurrection, they recycled the xeno suits and animatronics from the Jean Pierre Jeunet´s film.

That they did. But they changed the legs and the hands if i recall correctly.

rafaelgg

Quote from: The Kurgan on Mar 04, 2019, 01:47:21 PM

Minor changes. Practically you almost never see a full body shot of the alien standing still so the changing of the legs are unoticiable. And the hands are so similar that looks unnoticiable.
  The 90% of the time you see the same face, head and torso you saw on Alien Ressurrection.

The Kurgan

Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 04, 2019, 02:27:00 PM
Quote from: The Kurgan on Mar 04, 2019, 01:47:21 PM

Minor changes. Practically you almost never see a full body shot of the alien standing still so the changing of the legs are unoticiable. And the hands are so similar that looks unnoticiable.
  The 90% of the time you see the same face, head and torso you saw on Alien Ressurrection.

While the hands are just a little bit more clunky, they took a joint from the leg, making it stand and walk somewhat different.

But you are right, it is barely noticeable in the movie. I doubt anybody besides people like the guys and gals on this site noticed it while watching the movie.

If you directly compare them however, it is noticeable.

rafaelgg

Even on "Alien Ressurrection" the two jointed leg detail is hardly noticeable since we only see the the alien walking erected on one very short shot after Elgyn´s dead
   We see full body shots of the alien  later on the underwater scene, of course but again it´s hardly to realize because they ar swiming, no walking.
   Personally I didn´t realize to two jointed legs since two years later when I saw an Alien Ressurrection drone figure on a comic book London Shop called "Forbidden planet", and on those 2 years I have already seen the movie may times!.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm so glad we've moved on from that design.

rafaelgg

Quote from: TC on Mar 04, 2019, 12:18:08 PM
Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 04, 2019, 09:15:14 AM
   But if you take the Big Chap from "Alien" and give him two joints legs, you can show him walking without its movements looking too much human and without the sensation is a man in disguise. So for me the design on "Alien Isolation" is perfect:

I like the feet of the Covenant xeno; which is a cross between the plantigrade feet of Alien '79 and the digitigrade feet of Isolation.

Yes, Scott was doing all he could to avoid the man-in-rubber-suit horror movie syndrome, but ironically, in the end (and despite Scott's best efforts), retaining the human bipedal form became an essential part of the bastardised perversion of human anatomy that is intrinsic to the Giger design.

TC

But you are forgeting the fact that on Covenant the xeno walk on its four legs almost all time and not bipedly.

TC

Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 05, 2019, 12:18:16 AM
  But you are forgeting the fact that on Covenant the xeno walk on its four legs almost all time and not bipedly.

No, I didn't forget. I wanted to comment on the foot morphology only. The locomotion style is something else again. (For the record, I prefer the upright stance.)

TC

Gash

Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 04, 2019, 12:21:51 AM

It's a very good design, better than anything since A L I EN, it has a semblance of medieval depictions of hell and demons that inspired a lot of Giger's work in the first place. So it's fitting that it's supposed to be a precursor to the big chap, and that David is portrayed as a sort of 'in universe' version of Giger. Makes perfect sense.

SiL

I'll take the 2nd and 3rd movies over that one any day, but it's not the worst design by a looooooong shot. A good prototype design.

rafaelgg

Quote from: Gash on Mar 06, 2019, 09:57:02 AM
Quote from: rafaelgg on Mar 04, 2019, 12:21:51 AM

It's a very good design, better than anything since A L I EN, it has a semblance of medieval depictions of hell and demons that inspired a lot of Giger's work in the first place. So it's fitting that it's supposed to be a precursor to the big chap, and that David is portrayed as a sort of 'in universe' version of Giger. Makes perfect sense.

I´m going to see it again: It´s no a protoyte o a precursor, it´s not a protomorph, it´s the XENEMORPH,

the same creature we have already saw on previous movie, It´s just that the capricious Ridleys Scott redesigning the H. R. Giger´s creation and ruining it,  making it a pale reflection of the original one just as "Alien Covenant", is to the original "Alien".

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed